JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   CRD MBRP Exhaust Install (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/crd-mbrp-exhaust-install-794892/)

wookiee 06-10-2009 11:34 AM

CRD MBRP Exhaust Install

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/u...k/IMG_0375.jpg

I was just getting ready to install the new exhaust, after cutting the old one, when I noticed that the hanger bar on the main pipe was missing. They're going to send me a new one. I've put everything in place but I won't tighten everything down unless I have to go somewhere before the new pipe comes in.

I would have had it done within an hour otherwise.

Tools needed
Sawsall - to cut the old pipe
Channel Locks - to help remove the rubber hangers
17mm, 9/16" & 5/8" sockets
getting (2) 9/16" bolts that are 1/4" longer than those originally supplied will make attaching the pipe easier.

I'm averaging 22+ mpg. With the mbrp, I'm hoping for a 10% improvement which will give me 24 mpg. So that's about 44 more miles per tank or about 2 gallons per tank more at $3/gallon which is $6/fillup

Total price was $307.72. Divided by $6 will pay for itself at 25,000 miles. Not to mention less back pressure + less wear & tear on the engine.

YellowWrangler 06-10-2009 11:56 AM

Nice, but is there no muffler?

rhusak 06-10-2009 11:58 AM

Wookie..
It would be nice to know what this does to the sound... I know the Cat and turbo absorb most of it but could you let us know what this does..
Ron

Spider-One 06-10-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowWrangler (Post 7381797)
Nice, but is there no muffler?

The only piece on the stock exhaust past the DPF is a resonator, so even stock there is no muffler.

Remmy 06-10-2009 12:15 PM

Well its not really back pressure you want to deal with... id say more on the lines of increased velocity. Back pressure is commonly miss understood. :teehee:

rhusak 06-10-2009 01:00 PM

Guy's..
OK no muffler on standard exhaust.. What does it sound like without the resonator?
Ron

wookiee 06-10-2009 02:05 PM

It does have a Catalyst (that looks like a muffler) & the DPF that are still there. The book shows a pre-catalyst as well, but I don't see it.

Sounds good. Deep whoosh. Wife says it sounds 'shallow', like coming out of a tunnel. She likes it.

The resonator is straight through, so no back pressure, I guess. But the pipe is bigger than the original.

After I get the replacement pipe and crank down the clamps, I'll put up a recording of the sound.

suzieque 06-10-2009 02:10 PM

I'm guessing that instead of paying mbrp, you could have gone to a muffler shop and have the muffler shop remove the stock resonator (the thing that looks like a muffler) and install a nice exhaust tip for less money. That's what I'm thinking of doing.

liggettj 06-10-2009 02:35 PM

on my 3.7 that is all I did was replace the muffler and add a tip it was much cheaper. Having a CRD I would upgrade to a bigger pipe size. I look the look on the exhaust you got very nice.

Spider-One 06-10-2009 04:18 PM

The benefit of the MBRP kit over just removing the resonator and getting a tip is that the stock exhaust is only 2.75" while the MBRP is mandrel bent 3". You could always have a custom made 3" exhaust made, but the MBRP seems pretty easy to install and I think the price is pretty fair.

ctate 06-10-2009 10:27 PM

I have the mbrp exhaust install for a while on mine and the sound diffrence is noticable but not much louder. It does sound better of you are standing outside of the Jeepp though.

YellowWrangler 06-11-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider-One (Post 7381847)
The only piece on the stock exhaust past the DPF is a resonator, so even stock there is no muffler.

Thank you for that, I'm a little new to jeeps.:)

CRD Dawg 06-11-2009 04:39 PM

What is the real benefit, if any, to a DPF back exhaust when all the the other factory components(i.e.- the intake, restrictive turbo/engine kidney resonator, exhaust manifold, DPF, etc.), are all still in place? Sell me on it and I'll buy the MBRP. By the way, what's the difference between the 3 that they offer other than price and Tip design?

Spider-One 06-11-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisaspencer (Post 7389932)
What is the real benefit, if any, to a DPF back exhaust when all the the other factory components(i.e.- the intake, restrictive turbo/engine kidney resonator, exhaust manifold, DPF, etc.), are all still in place? Sell me on it and I'll buy the MBRP. By the way, what's the difference between the 3 that they offer other than price and Tip design?

With all the restriction from the two cats and the DPF it's debatable. I'm not sure if it's 3" to the DPF or not but if it is then at least the increase is bringing it to 3" is the whole way through, but I'm not 100% on that on the size of pipe to the cats and DPF.

The difference between the 3 is the material used. I'm not sure about the lowest model but the middle model shouldn't rust out and the top model shouldn't rust out and should keep it's shine.

As for the two cats they are definitely there. You can see the first pre-cat from the engine bay, otherwise you have to get right underneath the down pipe to see the first cat as it's very close to the engine.

CRD Dawg 06-11-2009 05:40 PM

Would you spend the $ on the exhaust or purchase an intake instead once they come out? That's assuming one does eventually hits the market. By your signature, it's looks like you adapted one of your own designed for another engine.

The time now is 12:53 AM.