CRD long crank start in the morning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD long crank start in the morning

Paracord grab handles, door limiting, etc at JeepHut.comRough Country Deals at JeepHut.comNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 03-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
r_unda
1998 TJ Wrangler 

CRD long crank start in the morning

This morning my CRD took a long time to start. It cranked but didn’t start. I tried 4 or 5 times but nothing. Plugged my reader and there were no codes. Went inside had breakfast, then tried again and started right up. Ambient temperature was about 45 deg. F. Started find the rest of the day.

Now in the last few month (always in the morning, cold weather but nothing less than 40 deg. F) this has happened before but it has never taken that long to start. Usually starts up after a long crank or on my second try. I always attributed this to me not waiting enough time for the glow plug to warm up.

Glow plugs where replaced about 50,000 miles ago. I have not replaced the Control module. Current miles are 128,000 miles. Could this be glow plug related? What else could it be?

Thanks!

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_unda
This morning my CRD took a long time to start. It cranked but didn’t start. I tried 4 or 5 times but nothing. Plugged my reader and there were no codes. Went inside had breakfast, then tried again and started right up. Ambient temperature was about 45 deg. F. Started find the rest of the day. Now in the last few month (always in the morning, cold weather but nothing less than 40 deg. F) this has happened before but it has never taken that long to start. Usually starts up after a long crank or on my second try. I always attributed this to me not waiting enough time for the glow plug to warm up. Glow plugs where replaced about 50,000 miles ago. I have not replaced the Control module. Current miles are 128,000 miles. Could this be glow plug related? What else could it be? Thanks!
how old is the battery...
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
r_unda
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
how old is the battery...
Made and bought on 10/2013 so almost 1-1/2 years old

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
Unread 03-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
BAH101
2008 WK 

Check the battery terminal clamps. If there is any movement, take them off, clean them and reinstall. Make sure they are tight.
Unread 03-01-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

It's likely not the plugs at that temp. Validate battery is good under load but I don't think that's it either but you have to rule out. My CRD is starting to do it's hard long start the WARMER it gets but it still starts so far but I am going to need to address it pretty soon. Your issue seems different but I will keep following because hard start has the same components yet different issue in my case. - Good luck - hope it's something simple.
Unread 03-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
r_unda
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tightened the battery terminals last night. Started fine this morning. Will keep you posted if the issue comes back.

Thanks for the help.
Unread 03-06-2015, 12:08 AM   #7
Palak
2008 WK 

Mine was this way as well.... not sure if it's related, or if CAUSED by it... but I just had to replace my starter. (3 days ago)... easy starts now.
Palak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Yah, my old diesels around the farm that had mechanical fuel injection would always start if you could get the motor to crank over but modern electronic fuel injection requires the proper voltage at the control module or it won't actuate the injectors. If your battery or starter motor is faulty the voltage drop from cranking
will create a low voltage condition and no fuel will be injected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.