CRD having hard time starting in cold temps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD having hard time starting in cold temps

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
BJJ

CRD having hard time starting in cold temps

I have done quite a bit of searching on here and can't quite find the answer I'm looking for so here goes.

I've owned my 07 CRD for about 6 months now and have been very impressed with it so far. I have done the basic maintenance to it (oil, fuel filter, etc) and it is running great, and pulls my 22' boat without issues.

Now to my problem, it is starting to get cool here in SC (won't say cold because its not that bad) but any night that is below say 40F/4C the jeep will take two or three full cranking cycles to finally turn over. Not getting any codes or lights, glow plug light on the dash lights up and goes off as it should, I have no clue. If I plug in the block heater overnight it fires right up no issue.

Any ideas what could be the problem. Jeep has 95k miles currently.

BJJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
simonbartlett
2006 WK 

Mine was the same when i got it and it was the glow plug module. The new ones are slightly different. 10 minute job yourself and only about 6 little bolts. Mine was about 130.
simonbartlett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
japeart
2007 WK 

Hows your battery?

start of 2013 my jeep would start ok down to -25C (-13f) without the block heater, but over the winter the battery failed. got a new oem one under warranty from jeep but im not too happy with it. Since the new battery the jeep has trouble starting at around -20C (-4f) and just wont start below that without the block heater. glows are fine, had the new gp controller put in Dec 2012. Running the same oils so it shouldn't be any harder to start.
Black WK Club #156
japeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Mine has always started fine down to about -20C but I do use a fuel additive that improves the cold weather starting and reduces fuel gel. The fuel filter is really fine mesh in these things and winter diesel can vary a bit sometimes in cold flowability.
Unread 12-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
BJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbartlett View Post
Mine was the same when i got it and it was the glow plug module. The new ones are slightly different. 10 minute job yourself and only about 6 little bolts. Mine was about 130.
I may have to check the glow plugs with the multimeter then.
Unread 12-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
BJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by japeart View Post
Hows your battery?

start of 2013 my jeep would start ok down to -25C (-13f) without the block heater, but over the winter the battery failed. got a new oem one under warranty from jeep but im not too happy with it. Since the new battery the jeep has trouble starting at around -20C (-4f) and just wont start below that without the block heater. glows are fine, had the new gp controller put in Dec 2012. Running the same oils so it shouldn't be any harder to start.
New battery 3 months ago, it never gets below 25F ish/ -3C here at the coast so the temps aren't that cold
Unread 12-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
simonbartlett
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
I believe its normally the module rather than plugs.
Unread 12-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
simonbartlett
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
I believe its normally the module rather than plugs.
Unread 12-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

mine takes abit to start lately aswell

battery and GPM are 2 years old

really need to buy some fuel additive see if that helps
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
really need to buy some fuel additive see if that helps
Here's what I use: http://www.xtremediesel.com/XDP-Dies...-XDDPP116.aspx

It was 20 F yesterday, and it started right up.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
willyok
2008 WK 

I'm glad I don't live in a cold climate! Hopefully I don't get stationed in one!
willyok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyok View Post
I'm glad I don't live in a cold climate! Hopefully I don't get stationed in one!
Don't hold your breath! The military moved me from Maine to New Orleans and now to CT! These temperature extremes are killing me!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #13
BJJ

Tested the glow plugs, all were good. Power going to the glow plug module but nothing going to glow plugs themselves.. Believe I've found the issue. Let you know if the new module fixes it.
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #14
BAH101
2008 WK 

Don't forget, the ground for the glow plug system is on one of the legs for the fuel filter. Could have been left off or loose. Good spot to check.
Unread 12-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
ryann04
2008 WK 

I am having the same problem now too.

Last winter I could let me jeep sit outside for a week parked in -30*c weather, not plugged in. Then I would start it ZERO problems.

This winter I have to plug it in or it wont start, even at -5*c. I ordered up 6 new glow plugs and a glow plug module for less than $500.00/shipped. I am hoping this will fix the problem. From what I am told as well, the Glow Plugs are a maintenance item as well, they should be tossed and replaced every 150K max anyways. The glow plugs and the module itself will be an issue sometimes even though the vehicle does not provide a CEL. The Battery can also be an issue, the Jeeps are very problematic with batteries that are on the verge of going.

Keep us posted with results, it turns out to be a process of elimination sometimes.
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.