CRD Glow Plug issue - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Glow Plug issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #106
copterdoc
2008 WJ 

http://www.partswebsite.com/berrydcj/

Berry dodge/chrysler/jeep in texas. All six glow plugs(new upgraded 7001 berus) 160 dollars, 181 with shipping. new black seal intake tube 72 dollars, 83 with shipping. Nice people good service.

copterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #107
jiggadog
2008 WK 

jeep threw a code for a bad #3 glow plug. going to replaceall of them with Bosch. Getting them at cost for $18 each and i've read quality is comparable so i'll try saving a few bucks. i'm assuming the following are quotes for beru's as i didn't ask what type, but dealership (taylor chrysler in hamilton) wanted 51, napa 48, and merc dealership in burlington 29. going to replace them tonight and without any issues..i hope!
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #108
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggadog View Post
jeep threw a code for a bad #3 glow plug. going to replaceall of them with Bosch. Getting them at cost for $18 each
thats a good price, where are you getting them from? what part number are you using?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #109
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
thats a good price, where are you getting them from? what part number are you using?
getting them from barton auto in hamilton through uncle who is a mechanic and has an account there. not a lot cheaper than buying from merc dealership, but its enough of a savings to give them a try. i'll post up the part number when i get them as my uncle ordered/picked them up for me.
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #110
suzieque
2008 WK 

The whole glow plug system seems somewhat fragile. The dealer warned me about this too, he said that as soon as one plug fails, they just recommend replacing them all including the glowplug module. They did mine all under warranty last year so I'm hoping to not have an issue. I think the trick is to replace the failed glow plug as soon as it fails versus driving around longer, its almost like a serial (or is pararrel?) circuit so that if 1 plug fails, the other plugs get the extra voltage that the failed plug is not consuming and is more voltage than they are designed for.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #111
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
The whole glow plug system seems somewhat fragile. The dealer warned me about this too, he said that as soon as one plug fails, they just recommend replacing them all including the glowplug module. They did mine all under warranty last year so I'm hoping to not have an issue. I think the trick is to replace the failed glow plug as soon as it fails versus driving around longer, its almost like a serial (or is pararrel?) circuit so that if 1 plug fails, the other plugs get the extra voltage that the failed plug is not consuming and is more voltage than they are designed for.
that's good to know. was your repair covered under the 3yr/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty or the 5 yr powertrain warranty?
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #112
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggadog View Post
that's good to know. was your repair covered under the 3yr/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty or the 5 yr powertrain warranty?
3yr/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty. I think that is all the warranty we CRD owners in canada have, there is no 5 yr powertrain as I recall.
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #113
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
3yr/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty. I think that is all the warranty we CRD owners in canada have, there is no 5 yr powertrain as I recall.
I had the rear main seal replaced under the 5yr/100k warranty this year...thankfully.
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #114
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Part number for bosch plug is 80047
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #115
LifeOnABoard
2008 WK 

The Bosch plug is a rare find. I got fast service from Europarts but the packaging left much to be desired. The Beru's from EP made it across coasts OK though. Replacing #6 took over 2 hours. Anyone who can do all 6 plugs in less than 3 hours has done it before and is 7 ft tall. Very thin 45 degree needle nose pliars are needed for these things. About the connectors: grab the shaft, not the tabs.
LifeOnABoard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #116
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOnABoard View Post
The Bosch plug is a rare find. I got fast service from Europarts but the packaging left much to be desired. The Beru's from EP made it across coasts OK though. Replacing #6 took over 2 hours. Anyone who can do all 6 plugs in less than 3 hours has done it before and is 7 ft tall. Very thin 45 degree needle nose pliars are needed for these things. About the connectors: grab the shaft, not the tabs.
yes i agree #6 was difficult. i ended up using a cable tie, lassoed it and pulled it off. worked great for me.
Unread 08-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #117
copterdoc
2008 WJ 

I fixed my glow plug issue, my dpf issue, my wheel speed sensor issue, my black seal, orange seal issue, my swirl motor issue, and my pro vent mod issue. I Sold the damn thing. actually I loved it and it was bitter sweet to see it go, but leave it to jeep to wrap an excellent little motor up in a horrible, poorly designed emissions system and sub par wiring.
copterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #118
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
I fixed my glow plug issue, my dpf issue, my wheel speed sensor issue, my black seal, orange seal issue, my swirl motor issue, and my pro vent mod issue. I Sold the damn thing. actually I loved it and it was bitter sweet to see it go, but leave it to jeep to wrap an excellent little motor up in a horrible, poorly designed emissions system and sub par wiring.
Well that is one way to fix it for sure. I'll have to think about it.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #119
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggadog
jeep threw a code for a bad #3 glow plug. going to replaceall of them with Bosch. Getting them at cost for $18 each and i've read quality is comparable so i'll try saving a few bucks. i'm assuming the following are quotes for beru's as i didn't ask what type, but dealership (taylor chrysler in hamilton) wanted 51, napa 48, and merc dealership in burlington 29. going to replace them tonight and without any issues..i hope!
Got the p0673 and now going to do the gp #3 but before i need to find a place to purchase them ... Dont know any good place where to find them in Canada aside dealers merc and chrysler !?!
Unread 08-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #120
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
Got the p0673 and now going to do the gp #3 but before i need to find a place to purchase them ... Dont know any good place where to find them in Canada aside dealers merc and chrysler !?!
try a local auto parts store..shouldnt take long to find someone who sells bosch or beru.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.