CRD Glow Plug issue - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Glow Plug issue

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #91
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
Too bad the Mercedes dealer in Thunder Bay is owned by the Dodge dealer. But, I am only 30 mins to the border, and there is a store there that will hold items shipped there. Knock on wood, I have had no problems and I am at 104000km.

Did you try your local auto-parts store? Ask them for Beru they should be the same price as here in Hogtown $31.95. I know you can pick up the Bosch for $23.95, but I am not sure if saving 50 odd dollars is worth using a cheaper plug and BERU is OEM - at least in my case.

Shmigsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #92
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlenut View Post
I was quoted $86 at the Dodge dealer for camshaft position sensor and $56 at the Mercedes dealer in Burlington. Took me 5 minutes to install. I don`t know where $417 would come from

Hi Sizzlenut

Called this morning - part no. A0031539728 $417 at Fairview Chrysler - parts guy says, 'are you sitting down?' lol.
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #93
Sizzlenut

Mercedes Burlington

Camshaft position sensor #0051531328

$57.05

I am not understanding this.
Sizzlenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #94
Sizzlenut

http://www.koperformance.com/online_...p?q=0031539728

Looks like 328 number came before 728?
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #95
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

How long ago did you install it? I am curious to find out why the change and the corresponding huge price jump. The online prices correspond to the lower price, and nobody seems to be quoting me the lower price. Did you approach them with the part number or is that what they quoted you?

Well I am not surprised. They quoted me 80 some odd dollars each for the glow plugs, and only disclosed the 51 dollar price when I discovered there was 'new stock'. Then after that he acted like he didn't know there was a change, yet his dealership had hundreds on back-order of the new stock - how could the full time parts guy not know this?
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #96
marcram
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmigsy View Post
No it doesn't screw into the plastic. The one the holds the cover in place at the back of the engine screws into the block and the plastic cover snugs into/over it. You'll notice it when you try to insert the socket and ratchet and its in the way. Good luck!
My 3 Beru plugs arrived. I replaced the front two glow plugs, but wasn't able to swap out number 6. I did manage to gain vertical access to it, but my 5/16 extended ratchet wouldn't take hold. It seems like that one doesn't have much clearance around it and the tool won't go deep enough. I was able to spin it 1/4 turn with some needle nose vice grips.

Now I'm looking for a tool that can go down and grab the voltage terminal while I spin it. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
marcram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #97
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlenut View Post
Mercedes Burlington

Camshaft position sensor #0051531328

$57.05

I am not understanding this.

I got the part today. In a Mercedes baggie and box. it ends with 328 like you said. Paid $48 dollars delivered to my door.

But that part number is not available anymore. So if anyone is reading this The new stock is a lot more expensive may want to grab the cheaper ones before they run out.
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #98
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcram View Post
My 3 Beru plugs arrived. I replaced the front two glow plugs, but wasn't able to swap out number 6. I did manage to gain vertical access to it, but my 5/16 extended ratchet wouldn't take hold. It seems like that one doesn't have much clearance around it and the tool won't go deep enough. I was able to spin it 1/4 turn with some needle nose vice grips.

Now I'm looking for a tool that can go down and grab the voltage terminal while I spin it. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Marcam

I am not understanding. Are you saying that you can't get a ratchet on the plug or a tool on the plug harness? If it is the plug - email me and I will photograph exactly what I used for you.

I used an 8mm thin walled socket, small 1/4 inch ratchet with a 3 inch extension.
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #99
Sizzlenut

Quote:
How long ago did you install it? I am curious to find out why the change and the corresponding huge price jump. The online prices correspond to the lower price, and nobody seems to be quoting me the lower price. Did you approach them with the part number or is that what they quoted you?

Well I am not surprised. They quoted me 80 some odd dollars each for the glow plugs, and only disclosed the 51 dollar price when I discovered there was 'new stock'. Then after that he acted like he didn't know there was a change, yet his dealership had hundreds on back-order of the new stock - how could the full time parts guy not know this?
Installed about 5 weeks ago. The new one cleared the code and hasn't come back. No change to idle, performance, driveability whatsoever.
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #100
marcram
2008 WK 

Quote:
Marcam

I am not understanding. Are you saying that you can't get a ratchet on the plug or a tool on the plug harness? If it is the plug - email me and I will photograph exactly what I used for you.

I used an 8mm thin walled socket, small 1/4 inch ratchet with a 3 inch extension.
Success. Even with an extension, I couldn't get the ratchet around the hex nut part of the glow plug. I went out and bought a pair of 10" needle nose pliers and was able to grab the terminal and move it counterclockwise about one turn. After that my tool was able to grab on and I replaced it.

I went into autozone to read the codes and it showed that all but #2 were bad. Apparently the check engine codes persist. After disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then hooking it back up, check engine light is now gone. This was a good learning experience and the next time the plugs need to be changed, it will be a very quick job. Thanks for all of the help on this site.
marcram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #101
RobyD
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmigsy
" Does anyone know how to access number 6? I'm a car novice and there is something in the way that I am not sure how to or if I should remove. "

Hi I just swapped out all six plugs. Number six was a pain in the rear end. Here is how i did it. This is a complete hacker job so the mechanics on here are free to laugh at me... but it worked!

1. Unscrew the glow plug wire harness (the black plastic thing) from the engine block - rather than trying to take it off its bracket. Put the bracket bolt back into the block. Push the harness forward and use the bolt to hold it in place: this will gain you an inch and allow you to get the ratchet perpendicular to the plug. (use a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 3 inch extension for clearance)
2. Unscrew the bracket that holds the back of the plastic engine cover in place. Put the bolt back in and again use it to hold it back about an inch... you can also remove it altogether.
3. I used a long needle nose plier with a 30 or 45 degree bend on the tip to grab the plug connector. If you don't have the one with the bend a long unbent one still works. You still need to get to the connector lengthwise - meaning the plier will be parallel to the head.
4. Once you have a hold of the connector use a screwdriver or small piece of wood under the plier to give you some leverage...and gently pop it off.

Hope this makes sense!

Hey what plugs were used in your vehicle and what did you replace them with? Mine were BERU and I replaced them with Beru.
Thanks for the explanation and pics. You and Merlin and SuzieQ are great. Confirmed numbering per Merlin's sketch. Just saved $175 my doing this myself instead of the Stealership

I bought Beru in a Mercedes box part # A 001 159 71 01 from Jeep dealer cost $53

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #102
52233majic

Quote:
Sizzlenut. Are you sure you are not speaking of the crankshaft position sensor? I called 3 dealers Mississauga/Oakville and one in Buffalo and the Mercedes dealer and the price was $417 for all the Jeep dealers and $261 at Mercedes Oakville. In Buffalo it was un the high $260s also. Two aftermarket shops had it at $175 and $183. Nonetheless i will call them in burlington - if it is what you are saying... steam will be coming out of my ears.

Anyway if you need plugs Beru are $32 and the ones I pulled out were BERU with a mercedes part number stamped on them - same plug.

what is BERU, where can i order?
52233majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #103
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52233majic View Post
what is BERU, where can i order?
Hi Beru is the manufacturer. I ordered them from a jobber place in Mississauga called Platinum Auto parts on Maingate. I am sure other parts places have the same. Napa were 40 dollars. You can also get them at the Mercedes dealer for 42.
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #104
Sizzlenut

I just received 6 Beru glow plugs from Europarts of San Diego for $205.32US all in, delivered.
Unread 11-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #105
52233majic

Quote:
Hi Beru is the manufacturer. I ordered them from a jobber place in Mississauga called Platinum Auto parts on Maingate. I am sure other parts places have the same. Napa were 40 dollars. You can also get them at the Mercedes dealer for 42.

Thanks, will order 6 from their as well, i work in Mississauga
52233majic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.