CRD Glow Plug issue - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Glow Plug issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #76
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Looks like 2007-2008 all getting on the same page!

Hi everyone thought I may as well throw my two cents in here for future reference.

I have error code P0673 - Plug 3. I also have the camshaft position sensor code P0340 and HAD P0335 Crank Shaft Position sensor - but it seems to be gone.

I am at 96000km on my 2008 so my bumper to bumper is gone.

I know the glow plugs are maintenance but but was stunned that the dealer wants $417 for the camshaft sensor! The Crankshaft Sensor is $75.

The real reason i brought it in is because there is what I can only describe as a ticking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine near the back of the engine. It is there cold or hot and increases frequency with motor speed. The technician says they can hear it but have no clue what it is.

The service advisor told me to replace the glow plug of course. He also said to replace the crankshaft sensor because it sounds like it is coming from that area... but according to diagrams on this forum the Crankshaft sensor is on the bellhousing on the drivers side of the motor

Ok for CRD owners in S-Ontario here are some facts and numbers i have discovered.

1. Glow Plugs used to be 80+ dollars, they have switched to a new stock and are now $50. But good luck finding them from the dealer, there are 4000 on back order.
2. Good News - Mercedes dealers have them for $41 - some have them in stock, others are special order - 4-6hrs to get them.
3. Bosch plugs are $23 - good luck finding them
4. Beru $31 - some are around - 7 and I got dibs on 6.
5. The camshaft position sensor is $417 from Chrysler, $261 from Mercedes, $175 from parts stores, $32 + shipping online...
6. I ordered the camshaft position sensor from Family Auto Parts $63 - 3-7 business days delivery...hopefully its the right one.
7. The least expensive crankshaft sensor.... from the dealer $75! (cheaper online but not with shipping.)

8. Does anyone know how to move the wiring harness that blocks access to Glow Plug bank 6 (drivers side firewall) without a. breaking off or b. breaking it off!

9. Why is my entire ignition system failing at 96000km!!!!!

Shmigsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #77
BAH101
2008 WK 

Too bad the Mercedes dealer in Thunder Bay is owned by the Dodge dealer. But, I am only 30 mins to the border, and there is a store there that will hold items shipped there. Knock on wood, I have had no problems and I am at 104000km.
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #78
astaplin

can anyone help i need a glow plug kit (heater plugs and relay ) part num... ck68090434aa 11volt
astaplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #79
Sizzlenut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmigsy View Post
Hi everyone thought I may as well throw my two cents in here for future reference.

I have error code P0673 - Plug 3. I also have the camshaft position sensor code P0340 and HAD P0335 Crank Shaft Position sensor - but it seems to be gone.

I am at 96000km on my 2008 so my bumper to bumper is gone.

I know the glow plugs are maintenance but but was stunned that the dealer wants $417 for the camshaft sensor! The Crankshaft Sensor is $75.

The real reason i brought it in is because there is what I can only describe as a ticking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine near the back of the engine. It is there cold or hot and increases frequency with motor speed. The technician says they can hear it but have no clue what it is.

The service advisor told me to replace the glow plug of course. He also said to replace the crankshaft sensor because it sounds like it is coming from that area... but according to diagrams on this forum the Crankshaft sensor is on the bellhousing on the drivers side of the motor

Ok for CRD owners in S-Ontario here are some facts and numbers i have discovered.

1. Glow Plugs used to be 80+ dollars, they have switched to a new stock and are now $50. But good luck finding them from the dealer, there are 4000 on back order.
2. Good News - Mercedes dealers have them for $41 - some have them in stock, others are special order - 4-6hrs to get them.
3. Bosch plugs are $23 - good luck finding them
4. Beru $31 - some are around - 7 and I got dibs on 6.
5. The camshaft position sensor is $417 from Chrysler, $261 from Mercedes, $175 from parts stores, $32 + shipping online...
6. I ordered the camshaft position sensor from Family Auto Parts $63 - 3-7 business days delivery...hopefully its the right one.
7. The least expensive crankshaft sensor.... from the dealer $75! (cheaper online but not with shipping.)

8. Does anyone know how to move the wiring harness that blocks access to Glow Plug bank 6 (drivers side firewall) without a. breaking off or b. breaking it off!

9. Why is my entire ignition system failing at 96000km!!!!!
I was quoted $86 at the Dodge dealer for camshaft position sensor and $56 at the Mercedes dealer in Burlington. Took me 5 minutes to install. I don`t know where $417 would come from
Sizzlenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #80
marcram
2008 WK 

How to access glow plug number 6

Checked the codes and I had glow plugs 1, 3, and 6 faulty. After reading this forum, I decided to test all of them in my garage. Sure enough, 1 and 3 showed an open and all others (besides 6) showed a low impedance. I moved the 3 good ones to positions 1, 2, and 3 so now I have faulty ones in 4, 5, and 6.

As suggested here, I ordered 3 replacement glow plugs from Europarts San Diego and will at least replace 4 and 5 when they arrive. Does anyone know how to access number 6? I'm a car novice and there is something in the way that I am not sure how to or if I should remove. I also snapped a couple of low quality pictures for others to reference. Gaining access to these glow plugs was pretty challenging. I wish the wire to the connectors was a bit longer than what they are.

marcram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #81
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Accessing number 6 plug

" Does anyone know how to access number 6? [/B] I'm a car novice and there is something in the way that I am not sure how to or if I should remove. "

Hi I just swapped out all six plugs. Number six was a pain in the rear end. Here is how i did it. This is a complete hacker job so the mechanics on here are free to laugh at me... but it worked!

1. Unscrew the glow plug wire harness (the black plastic thing) from the engine block - rather than trying to take it off its bracket. Put the bracket bolt back into the block. Push the harness forward and use the bolt to hold it in place: this will gain you an inch and allow you to get the ratchet perpendicular to the plug. (use a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 3 inch extension for clearance)
2. Unscrew the bracket that holds the back of the plastic engine cover in place. Put the bolt back in and again use it to hold it back about an inch... you can also remove it altogether.
3. I used a long needle nose plier with a 30 or 45 degree bend on the tip to grab the plug connector. If you don't have the one with the bend a long unbent one still works. You still need to get to the connector lengthwise - meaning the plier will be parallel to the head.
4. Once you have a hold of the connector use a screwdriver or small piece of wood under the plier to give you some leverage...and gently pop it off.

Hope this makes sense!

Hey what plugs were used in your vehicle and what did you replace them with? Mine were BERU and I replaced them with Beru.
Unread 11-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #82
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Camshaft or Crankshaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlenut View Post
I was quoted $86 at the Dodge dealer for camshaft position sensor and $56 at the Mercedes dealer in Burlington. Took me 5 minutes to install. I don`t know where $417 would come from
Sizzlenut. Are you sure you are not speaking of the crankshaft position sensor? I called 3 dealers Mississauga/Oakville and one in Buffalo and the Mercedes dealer and the price was $417 for all the Jeep dealers and $261 at Mercedes Oakville. In Buffalo it was un the high $260s also. Two aftermarket shops had it at $175 and $183. Nonetheless i will call them in burlington - if it is what you are saying... steam will be coming out of my ears.

Anyway if you need plugs Beru are $32 and the ones I pulled out were BERU with a mercedes part number stamped on them - same plug.
Unread 11-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #83
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

how long would u say it takes to replace all the plugs
im over 100,000kms now and i dont think they have been changed yet
i have only owned my jeep for about 7 months or so
should i change them to be safe or wait?
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #84
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

I replaced them all in 1:45hr and that included a 15 conversation with the neighbour complaining about dealership service centres and 1 bathroom break (1) and a trip to the kitchen to reheat my coffee. i never had done it before... so I figure 1 hr 15 1 hr 30 if you know what you are doing. Don't rush - it is important to keep the ratchet square to the plug and not be pulling sideways on it. I used a screwdriver with the 8mm deep socket to snug it to hand tight and then gave it a little crank (1/12 turn) beyond that.

Last edited by Shmigsy; 11-06-2011 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: clarity
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #85
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
Depends...I have 6 in my garage just in case. I will not change mine until I get a code. I am at 66,700 miles. I also live in a warmer climate.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #86
marcram
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmigsy View Post
" Does anyone know how to access number 6? [/B] I'm a car novice and there is something in the way that I am not sure how to or if I should remove. "

Hi I just swapped out all six plugs. Number six was a pain in the rear end. Here is how i did it. This is a complete hacker job so the mechanics on here are free to laugh at me... but it worked!

1. Unscrew the glow plug wire harness (the black plastic thing) from the engine block - rather than trying to take it off its bracket. Put the bracket bolt back into the block. Push the harness forward and use the bolt to hold it in place: this will gain you an inch and allow you to get the ratchet perpendicular to the plug. (use a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 3 inch extension for clearance)
2. Unscrew the bracket that holds the back of the plastic engine cover in place. Put the bolt back in and again use it to hold it back about an inch... you can also remove it altogether.
3. I used a long needle nose plier with a 30 or 45 degree bend on the tip to grab the plug connector. If you don't have the one with the bend a long unbent one still works. You still need to get to the connector lengthwise - meaning the plier will be parallel to the head.
4. Once you have a hold of the connector use a screwdriver or small piece of wood under the plier to give you some leverage...and gently pop it off.

Hope this makes sense!

Hey what plugs were used in your vehicle and what did you replace them with? Mine were BERU and I replaced them with Beru.
Thanks for your description. Seems like it will work as long as I get those brackets off. The back one that holds the plastic cover in place doesn't screw on to the plastic, right? I ordered these for my 2008:
http://store.europarts-sd.com/glowplug2007-2009.aspx
Price was good at ~$30 each.

Not sure what brand, but I verified the 4.4V marking on the current plugs. I think they also had a mercedes symbol on them, but I may be wrong about that.
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #87
marcram
2008 WK 

Quote:
I would replace them as soon as the check engine light comes on. After my light came on, codes indicated I had two glow plug problems. After a couple more weeks, codes indicated that 3 were now burned out.
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #88
theendresult
2008 WK 

Quote:

Good to see a fellow langley resident on here

I wouldnt worry about it until it throws a code. They may have been changed by the previous owner. I did however notice a slight improvement in mpg tho. But that could just be my imagination....

Lordco has them for $40 each when and if you get a code. $20 if you make friends with a lordco employee
theendresult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #89
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcram View Post
Thanks for your description. Seems like it will work as long as I get those brackets off. The back one that holds the plastic cover in place doesn't screw on to the plastic, right? I ordered these for my 2008:
http://store.europarts-sd.com/glowplug2007-2009.aspx
Price was good at ~$30 each.

Not sure what brand, but I verified the 4.4V marking on the current plugs. I think they also had a mercedes symbol on them, but I may be wrong about that.
No it doesn't screw into the plastic. The one the holds the cover in place at the back of the engine screws into the block and the plastic cover snugs into/over it. You'll notice it when you try to insert the socket and ratchet and its in the way. Good luck!
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #90
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theendresult View Post
Good to see a fellow langley resident on here

I wouldnt worry about it until it throws a code. They may have been changed by the previous owner. I did however notice a slight improvement in mpg tho. But that could just be my imagination....

Lordco has them for $40 each when and if you get a code. $20 if you make friends with a lordco employee
haha ur in langley too!?!? there is another guy on here bmw 686 or something that says they are from langley haha
lets see pics of ur ride!!

and yea i got a lordco discount card, BC jeep club gets a discount there and i have a discount card from my old car club and my gfs uncle gets business rates as he is my mechanic lollol
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.