Hi everyone thought I may as well throw my two cents in here for future reference.
I have error code P0673 - Plug 3. I also have the camshaft position sensor code P0340 and HAD P0335 Crank Shaft Position sensor - but it seems to be gone.
I am at 96000km on my 2008 so my bumper to bumper is gone.
I know the glow plugs are maintenance but but was stunned that the dealer wants $417 for the camshaft sensor! The Crankshaft Sensor is $75.
The real reason i brought it in is because there is what I can only describe as a ticking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine near the back of the engine. It is there cold or hot and increases frequency with motor speed. The technician says they can hear it but have no clue what it is.
The service advisor told me to replace the glow plug of course. He also said to replace the crankshaft sensor because it sounds like it is coming from that area... but according to diagrams on this forum the Crankshaft sensor is on the bellhousing on the drivers side of the motor
Ok for CRD owners in S-Ontario here are some facts and numbers i have discovered.
1. Glow Plugs used to be 80+ dollars, they have switched to a new stock and are now $50. But good luck finding them from the dealer, there are 4000 on back order.
2. Good News - Mercedes dealers have them for $41 - some have them in stock, others are special order - 4-6hrs to get them.
3. Bosch plugs are $23 - good luck finding them
4. Beru $31 - some are around - 7 and I got dibs on 6.
5. The camshaft position sensor is $417 from Chrysler, $261 from Mercedes, $175 from parts stores, $32 + shipping online...
6. I ordered the camshaft position sensor from Family Auto Parts $63 - 3-7 business days delivery...hopefully its the right one.
7. The least expensive crankshaft sensor.... from the dealer $75! (cheaper online but not with shipping.)
8. Does anyone know how to move the wiring harness that blocks access to Glow Plug bank 6 (drivers side firewall) without a. breaking off or b. breaking it off!
9. Why is my entire ignition system failing at 96000km!!!!!