CRD Glow Plug issue - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Glow Plug issue

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 07-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #61
suzieque
2008 WK 

my dealer replaced mine, mopar part number is 5175756aa

they are advertised online for $44/each

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #62
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

On the glow plug issue - I was coming back from a fairly long (500 mi each way) and after filling up jumped in the CRD and brain faded and started it without waiting for the glow plug light to go out. It flashed the GP light for about 3 seconds and then went out but it tripped the CEL about 10 seconds later and has been on since.

Not starting harder, not running odd in any way. 2007 with 66k miles on it. Having normal maintenance done at dealership tomorrow because we're headed on vacation (driving 1000 each way) next weekend so to prepare I plugged in the OBD reader and had 1 code P0671 - glow plug heater cyl 1. I cleared the code and drove it about 10 miles - no CEL, re-checked and still no codes after restarting a couple more times just in the driveway.

I am thinking the my dumb### move with starting before GP light went out tripped it but I have also seen others with real issue with GP's so I am just going to wait but I am having the dealership actually test them to be sure it's not something that just needs the right condition to trip it (hot/cold) and I just hide the issue. Is it just a simple resistance test (infinite resistance is toast?) across each of the 6 plugs to determine if good? If that is the case then it wouldn't make sense that after I cleared the code it wouldn't come back immediately????? Any thoughts on what I am thinking are appreciated.
Drudgery1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #63
suzieque
2008 WK 

I've not seen a post about a do it yourself glow plug test. Hopefully someone else can advise.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #64
fourjeepin
2008 WK 

Glow plugs can be tested with a volt meter on resistance. A good one will be about zero ohms. A defective one will be very high. Mine was 3 thousand something ohms.

Just finished replacing the plug on cylinder number two. Here are my observations. Some paraphrasing and corrections made to info I gleaned from this post and others.

==(PASS)===FIREWALL===(DRIVER)==

5---------------------------- 6

3---------------------------- 4

1---------------------------- 2

=======GRILL=========

(North American Drivers Position)

Glow plug Replacement procedure:

Remove Engine Shroud
Remove foamy thing on top of cylinder
Remove wire from Glow Plug (pull straight up with either needle nose pliers or a pair of dental picks)
Use either 8mm or 5/16 deep well socket to remove glow plug. Do not exceed 20 Nm or 14.75 ft/lb. or 177 in/lb. of torque.
Put new glow plug in hole, using fingers to tighten (this way you know you are not cross threading). Once it is snug use the socket to tighten. Do not exceed 10 Nm or 7.38 ft/lb. or 88.5 in/lb.
Put wire back on
Replace foamy thing
Replace Engine Shroud
Clear engine code
Start Engine and revel in your success

I was unable to locate the plug anywhere except the dealer. I went to my Jeep dealer but will try a MB dealer next time as I have heard they are cheaper there as you avoid one middle man.

Good luck!
Chad
fourjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #65
cougar93k

2007 WK 

Chad,
I'm not sure where you got your diagram, but here's the numbering that I've seen for the CRD:

3---------------------------- 6

2---------------------------- 5

1---------------------------- 4

=======GRILL=========

I successfully replaced a faulty #4 two months ago. Yesterday I replaced #2 and reset the CEL. Came back on today with the same code for a faulty #2. Not sure what's wrong, but I may take it back out and reinstall.
cougar93k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #66
suzieque
2008 WK 

I agree with cougar93k, that diagram is what I understand to be correct.
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #67
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Diagram makes sense to me too, except I would rather sit in the driver's seat instead of up in front of the grill. Seems dangerous.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #68
cougar93k

2007 WK 

Chirpz, you never know unless you try. You should live a little.
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #69
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Knock on wood here...no issues.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #70
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Knock on wood here...no issues.
Well... I sure can't say that.

My glow plug adventure started off by not being one... I took my truck to the dealer for a simple 60K trans service and had them change the fuel filter while it was there. They then gave me the truck back with the CEL illuminated

I happened to wander outback and chat with the mechanics when I complained about the CEL before I even left the delaership and I found out a couple of things. First, they did not have the fuel filter ground wired hooked up and they also did not think to wait for the glow plug light to go out before cranking the motor.

Turns out my truck lost 2 glow plugs and the glow plug control module. They first tried to tell me it was coincidence but my truck ran fine and did not present any codes or the CEL when I dropped it off for service so they backed off that and repaired it under warranty.

I don't know if their crappy workmanship on the fuel filter ground or the cold start on the glow plugs caused the problem or not but it sure was weird.

One thing I do know is that I am damn well sure to use a different dealer next time I need actual shop service.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #71
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Turns out my truck lost 2 glow plugs and the glow plug control module. They first tried to tell me it was coincidence but my truck ran fine and did not present any codes or the CEL when I dropped it off for service so they backed off that and repaired it under warranty.

I don't know if their crappy workmanship on the fuel filter ground or the cold start on the glow plugs caused the problem or not but it sure was weird.

One thing I do know is that I am damn well sure to use a different dealer next time I need actual shop service.
hmmm, very interesting. I was also not experiencing any glow plug issues when I dropped my low mileage and babied CRD off for service. Later that day I get a call that the jeep won't start and it needs new glow plugs and module. I suspect they broke it while doing the fuel filter and forgot to hook up the ground. Mine was under warranty, so I only had the inconvenience of being without my vehicle while they waited for parts.
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #72
theendresult
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar93k View Post
Chad,
I'm not sure where you got your diagram, but here's the numbering that I've seen for the CRD:

3---------------------------- 6

2---------------------------- 5

1---------------------------- 4

=======GRILL=========

I successfully replaced a faulty #4 two months ago. Yesterday I replaced #2 and reset the CEL. Came back on today with the same code for a faulty #2. Not sure what's wrong, but I may take it back out and reinstall.
Yes you have the correct glow plug diagram lol. There a few different ones out there. I just had the same problem you are having. At 70,000kms a couple glow plug codes came on. I got quoted $750 to fix 3 and they didnt even know if that would solve the issue. My friends dad works at Lordco so I got staff discount. All 6 glow plugs for $126. 15,000kms later #2 code came up again. Brought it back to the dealer and they said they were certain the glow plug is faulty. I switched #2 with #4 and it still said #2 code. Brought it to a different dealer and after my diagnostic they said it is the glow plug control module. Everything is fine after getting that replaced. Hopefully you still have warranty. I think the module is around $400....

For those of you getting a glow plug code its really easy to change them yourself. Change them as soon as you can after driving the jeep so the engine is warm. Be gentle with them when loosening. I just choked up on the ratchet so I didnt have any extra leverage. They all came out fine. When I put them back in I just snugged them up and then a bit. I tend to over tighten things so choking up on the ratchet made sure i didnt.
theendresult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #73
cougar93k

2007 WK 

No warranty. It expired 6 months ago. Just picked up the control module for $182 (girlfriend's father owns an engine shop and gets dealer discounts). Now, if I could only find where the old one is located...
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #74
suzieque
2008 WK 

so the lesson is when a glow plug fails, replace it immediately or risk the consequences of a failed glow plug burning out other ones.
if the same glow plug fails more than once, then its the module that is causing the failure, again replace it ASAP because it will only keep damaging other glow plugs.
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #75
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar93k View Post
No warranty. It expired 6 months ago. Just picked up the control module for $182 (girlfriend's father owns an engine shop and gets dealer discounts). Now, if I could only find where the old one is located...
Could you get me a module?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.