CRD Glow Plug issue - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Glow Plug issue

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 11-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #226
BoraBoy
2008 WK 

Got my plugs from England but did not save much; my Dad paid so they were technically free ;-)

Just replaced 1, 4, 5 & 6 When I did 6 the end of the connector snapped off as I was not perpendicular DUH but I applied dielectric grease to all connectors. I did notice that the connector on #3 was mangled by the dealer.

My main question is that # 1 came out all rusty and I am trying to figure out how to test the harness output without killing myself?

I will tackle # 6 and replace # 2 if the check engine does not go out.

One tip is to try to use your finger to keep the connector straight and apply a bit of extra pressure.

BoraBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #227
diesel88
2008 WK 

Hi does anybody know what size reverse torx I would need to buy to change out my glow plug control module. Thanks
diesel88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #228
Chirpz

2007 WK 

The wife had the Electronic throttle code light flashing yesterday, but it went away after a restart this morning. I have been having a "lingering" glow plug light for the last two months, the light would stay on for about 30-45 seconds after the engine started.

Today I got the P0673 error code, reported to me by my Garmin Mechanic GPS display. The Garmin reported Glow Plug #3 and refused to clear the code. It advised me to see a technician.

Looks like I'll be replacing one or more glow plugs. Merry Christmas!
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #229
jaje
2007 WK 

I'd do them all if you've not done it before. I have 3 spare GPs in my parts box just in case and will get 3 more and the module if I get a glow plug code. I'm at 109k and not done any yet - which in a Hemi I'd likely have done spark plugs 3x by now (so glow plug replacement breaks even with spark plugs).
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #230
WKDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
The wife had the Electronic throttle code light flashing yesterday, but it went away after a restart this morning. I have been having a "lingering" glow plug light for the last two months, the light would stay on for about 30-45 seconds after the engine started.

Today I got the P0673 error code, reported to me by my Garmin Mechanic GPS display. The Garmin reported Glow Plug #3 and refused to clear the code. It advised me to see a technician.

Looks like I'll be replacing one or more glow plugs. Merry Christmas!
It might be an issue with the crank sensor.
WKDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #231
eeeehaw
2008 WK 

[QUOTE=cougar93k;12335865]Chad,
I'm not sure where you got your diagram, but here's the numbering that I've seen for the CRD:

==(PASS)===FIREWALL===(DRIVER)==

3---------------------------- 6

2---------------------------- 5

1---------------------------- 4

=======GRILL=========

(North American Drivers Position)
QUOTE]

I can also confirm that the correct cylinder positions is in the above quoted diagram. I just replaced my #5 (middle of drivers side) glow plug this evening; went without a hitch (unscrewed easily). The bad one measured 33ohms, the new good one measured 0.7 ohms. I cleared the P0675 code along with resetting the MIL lamp using my Code Scout scanner. Engine starts much better now, esp since it's about freezing outside temp here.

BTW, the replacement glow plug I bought is a BorgWarner BERU Systems GmbH (ie, made in Germany) # GE105 (ISS) 0-100-266-011, which I got at my local NAPA store for about $35 (you can find it in their online store, also). I would have had to cough up at least $200 at my local Jeep dealer service center for this replacement, so well worth the <20 min to do this replacement myself.
Unread 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #232
andypasto
2007 WK 

These jeepforum threads are fantastic! My check engine light was on with my 2007 WK 3.0 CRD, 90K miles, and I'm no longer under warranty. I'm a shade tree mechanic with zero diesel experience, so I relied on the service department at the local dealership to identify the problem. This $TEALERSHIP told me that the OBDII system indicated that I needed 6 new glow plugs as well as a new glow plug module. Estimated bill would be $1,000. (Would my vehicle even start if all of the GPs were bad and the module failed?) Since there were no apparent performance issues and I was now suspicious of this $stealership, I declined the work, retrieved my WK and headed home.

On a whim, I stopped by Advanced Auto Parts for advice. The employee grabbed an OBDII scanner from her bench, plugged it in to my vehicle and advised me that my #5 glow plug was faulty. That's all. These GPs weren't in stock, but she was happy to order one for me to the tune of $33.

Looking through the jeepforum threads, I determined how ridiculously simple it would be to replace the GP myself. These threads walked me through the process of locating the appropriate cylinder, and gave step-by-step instructions as well as a couple of pitfalls to avoid. It took me a total of 20 minutes to replace my #5 Glow Plug (fortunately the most accessible), and if I had known what I was doing in advance, it would have probably only taken 5 minutes.

Harbor Freight Tools happened to have a simple CAN OBDII scanner on sale at this time (Item # 98568), so I picked one up for $55. I was able to confirm that the fault no longer existed, and this scanner also allowed me to reset the check engine light.

I saved $900, and I now have a simple scanner for future fault identification on multiple vehicles.

I also have absolute respect for www.jeepforums.com
andypasto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #233
Red_liner740

Investing in a OBDII Scan tool is probably the best bang for the buck tool you could spend $$$ on.

It has saved me and my family/friends literally thousands of dollars. I use an Ultraguage to monitor up to 43 paramaters on my Jeep and also clear CELs and view any potential fault codes

Two weeks ago my morning routine was shattered. It consists of me waking up in the morning, grabbing the spare FOB and remote starting the CRD while i take the 10 min to get ready for work.

It started, idled for about 5 seconds and shut off. It did not even attempt to restart until i started it with the key in the ignition. No CEL's, no warnings.

It did this intermittently a few more times before i caught it turning on the glow plug light while driving. One of the signs of a bad glow plug.

I bought 5 (all they had in stock) Bosch glow plugs from Rock Auto and less than 5 days later they arrived.

In the meantime a CEL code came up on the Ultraguage (still no CEL on the dash) indicating a P0671 code, Glow plug #1.

I Sprayed some penetrant a day before doing the job. I replaced all glow plugs except for no. 2 (easiest to access) whether they were bad or not. Only #1 was shorted but now i have 4 spares in case of emergency.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 03:12 AM   #234
steveno
2009 WK 

This worried me as I have Max Care Chrysler coverage and I am taking my 2008 Jeep in for the glow plug number 3 problem, I did a search and found that under Max coverage "electrical section" Glow plugs are covered, hope this helps others.

See: http://www.chrysler.com/en/service_c...les/index.html
steveno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #235
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveno
This worried me as I have Max Care Chrysler coverage and I am taking my 2008 Jeep in for the glow plug number 3 problem, I did a search and found that under Max coverage "electrical section" Glow plugs are covered, hope this helps others. See: http://www.chrysler.com/en/service_c...les/index.html
Decide if you want them to do the recall N23...if so you will not have a functioning 4LO
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #236
steveno
2009 WK 

Yes been reading about the recall and its associated problems, as I always use a parking brake and turn my wheels to the gutter when parking the risk of miss-shifting then rolling away is very low for me, so I will be telling them no.
steveno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #237
strokendiesel
2008 WK 

I had the P0672 pop up. Went ahead and changed all 6 (BERU from EBAY) as it has 108XXX and I bought it with 92XXX miles. Put it all back together, cleared the codes and it immediately came back on. I cleared it 3 more times (KOEO) and it continues to come back... anyone else have this? (yes I did pull the intake back off, pull the connector, remove the GP and reinstalled everything to double check my work)

edit - the GP light comes on momentarily after the engine has fired

Bummer- appears as though the module also throws the same code... Should've checked the plugs resistance first.

Last edited by strokendiesel; 07-03-2014 at 05:21 PM..
strokendiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #238
RobyD
2007 WK 

I found 6 for $120 at German Auto Supply. Free shipping. Bosch part no 80050
Germanautosupply.co

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 11-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #239
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post
Same here. Mine has 90,000 without a problem, so far.

Never did buy the spares. # 2 crapped out the first day below freezing.

180,000 miles. Looking for cheapest seller of plugs. Looks like it's GAP for $120 with free shipping.

07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #240
Dusty280
2008 WK 

Chirpz

Replace the module, clear the codes and then find out what plugs need to be replaced. I replaced all plugs and the module and found out one of the new plugs was no good after all the codes were cleared (new code came on couple of weeks later).
Dusty280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.