CRD Glow Plug issue - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Glow Plug issue

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #181
flacrd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
It is a type of muffler to muffle the airflow noise. Its a pain to remove due to space. Search around, some of the guys removed them and took the baffles out to increase airflow (myself included) Not sure it made any difference and would not bother doing it again.
So the fix is to replace the resonator? It gets clogged up? This will be a pain to deal with.

Anyone got a part number and/or source by chance?

flacrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #182
flacrd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlartibartfast View Post
are you referring to the "resonator" described in this thread?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...-pipe-1403115/
Thank you for the link. What I could not determine was what was thier problem with it (resonator) to start with? Oil leak or some other problem. How did you resolve it?
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #183
brew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacrd View Post
Thanks for the replies CRDers. Yes it is tight even to look at. Do you think this is were the oil leak is coming from? Since there was oil present in the turbo openings during the glow plug change out that I saw it would stand to reason that it would be under pressure and leak from the resonator, Its irritating that I cannot see exactly were its coming from. It is the obvious culprit.
Did you already replace the orange turbo intake seal with the revised black one? This is a known area for oil leakage, thus the revised seal from Chrysler. Using a Provent or a tune such as GDE to disable the EGR should also help.
brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #184
brew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacrd View Post
Were they ceramic or steel? Yes, I will probably stay at 7500 intervals for changes and yes I only have used Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel Oil 5w-30. I was more than pleased when Walmart started carrying this oil, by the gallon for around $29.00.
I prefer using AMSOIL 15W-40 Premium Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Synthetic with 12 TBN in the VW TDI and Liberty CRD and will be switching the GC CRD over to it this weekend. Recommend for MB 228.1/228.3/229.1. My local Farm Supply store stocks it in gallon containers but it is a bit more expensive than the Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel.

I have used the 5W-30 Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel and 5W-30 Shell Rotella synthetic in the past with good results in all my diesel vehicles. However, I'm more comfortable with the AMSOIL for extended drain periods, 8,000+ miles.

Glad to hear you worked out your glow plug issues.
brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #185
flacrd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew1 View Post
I prefer using AMSOIL 15W-40 Premium Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Synthetic with 12 TBN in the VW TDI and Liberty CRD and will be switching the GC CRD over to it this weekend. Recommend for MB 228.1/228.3/229.1. My local Farm Supply store stocks it in gallon containers but it is a bit more expensive than the Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel.

I have used the 5W-30 Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel and 5W-30 Shell Rotella synthetic in the past with good results in all my diesel vehicles. However, I'm more comfortable with the AMSOIL for extended drain periods, 8,000+ miles.

Glad to hear you worked out your glow plug issues.
After learning or should I say re-learning how important quality oil is for a turbo and a diesel it looks like Amsoil for me in the future.

Thanks go to you and others on this site for the glow plugs and the 2008 tsb for the SQUEAK/RATTLE/VIBRATION under hood that has irritated the crap out of me for years. Yes, I have the documentation from the dealer to show that this was reported and written up on the service order 4 times since 2007 and never fixed. Just venting, I paid cash for the last time this written up, to bad the dealer lost their franchise during the recession? I had forgotten what this engine really sounded like without the extra noise.
2005 LIBERTY LTD CRD (LEMON LAWED)
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #186
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Swapped plugs around, kinda looking like the new Bosch glow plug is bad.
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #187
zedtechus
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
Swapped plugs around, kinda looking like the new Bosch glow plug is bad.
My dealer replaced glow plug #2 with BOSH new version 80050 (I bought myself the glow plugs) and code still on along with check engine. Dealer told me is the fault of GP control unit and I need to replace it but scanning with my OBD2 I dont get any other code than P0672 for GP #2.

Im thinking that could be because of mixed glow plugs (5 BERU and 1 BOSH) or maybe a new faulty BOSH glow plug?

How did you fix your problem?

Thanks
Adrian

PS: I tried to reset the code but it came back after a few engine starts.
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #188
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedtechus View Post
My dealer replaced glow plug #2 with BOSH new version 80050 (I bought myself the glow plugs) and code still on along with check engine. Dealer told me is the fault of GP control unit and I need to replace it but scanning with my OBD2 I dont get any other code than P0672 for GP #2.

Im thinking that could be because of mixed glow plugs (5 BERU and 1 BOSH) or maybe a new faulty BOSH glow plug?

How did you fix your problem?

Thanks
Adrian

PS: I tried to reset the code but it came back after a few engine starts.
same thing with my uncles jeep. replaced #2 but still got same code. had to change the module.
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #189
flacrd
2007 WK 

Yes, unfortunately it seems either problem can cause the same code.
2005 LIBERTY LTD CRD (LEMON LAWED)
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #190
jugganator
2006 WK 

i been trying to replace the glow plug 1 for a while now, but i cannot see the grey clip thats shown in pictures on page 6/7. all i see is 6 black connectors, which if unplugged reveal 2 very thin metal connectors on the inside.

near them are a star shaped nut again 6, 3 of them each side, can these be the actual glow plugs? can someone maybe send me a picture and show me the where these things are?

3.0 crd 2006 WH model
jugganator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #191
zedtechus
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggadog View Post
same thing with my uncles jeep. replaced #2 but still got same code. had to change the module.
I finally received and replaced my Glow Plug unit. Before installing the new one I delete the check engine code and since 2 days no more glow plug error codes So finally I got it fixed.

It feels so good especially that I was able to get the unit for 168$ and installed it myself when the dealer was asking 360$ for the control unit plus 30 min labor time!

Thanks everybody for the valuable help.
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #192
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
I finally received and replaced my Glow Plug unit. Before installing the new one I delete the check engine code and since 2 days no more glow plug error codes So finally I got it fixed.

It feels so good especially that I was able to get the unit for 168$ and installed it myself when the dealer was asking 360$ for the control unit plus 30 min labor time!

Thanks everybody for the valuable help.
Glad to hear it worked, I may have same issue where did you get the control unit?

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #193
zedtechus
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
Glad to hear it worked, I may have same issue where did you get the control unit?
I bought it from here:

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/642-900-28-00.html

They actually shipped the newer model: A-642-900-58-01
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #194
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
Check out post #159. I included where I got it (which was the best price we could find - $144) and a YouTube video of how to do it.
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #195
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
I bought it from here:

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/642-900-28-00.html

They actually shipped the newer model: A-642-900-58-01
Looks like I need one, and grab a few extra glow plugs. Just no need till the CEL has to be out for smog check in Dec.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.