CRD Glow Plug issue - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Glow Plug issue

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #151
brew1

Nice informative thread. 2008 Jeep GC here. Picked up a set of 6 Mercedes Benz glow plugs (Beru) #A 001 159 71 01 off of Ebay last year for much less than the Mercedes or Jeep dealership charge. Replaced #3 in August 2011 and #5 in October 2011. Been driving around for a couple of months with the dreaded #6 glow plug fault code.

Finally got around to replacing the #6 GP today and also did #4 while I was at it. About 93,000 miles right now.

Had to remove one bracket and loosen the plastic wire harness but was eventually able to use both a long needle nose with a flat end screwdriver to pry and pull the plastic connector from the GP. Used a 1/4 drive with a deep 8mm socket and about a 4 inch extension to remove the GP. Hosed them down with liquid wrench and let sit about 15 minutes before removing. With the engine cold, they came out easily.

Applied a liberal amount of Permatex dielectric grease to the terminal ends and a liberal amount of Permatex anti-sieze compound to the threads. Just like to keep it easy for removing the connector and the GP's next time around.

Used a laptop with a Ross/Tech program designed for VW/Audi to reset the fault code. It also has a generic scan setting that lets me scan and reset codes for other auto brands. 3rd reset attempt was a charm.

brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #152
RobyD
2007 WK 

Had to change glow plug No 4 on 08 CRD @ 51,000 miles.

And No. 5 on 07 CRD @ 61,000 miles.
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #153
sshaughn
2008 WK 

Changed glow plug No 4 and 6 at @41,000 miles, about 1 month ago
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #154
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Today I changed all six glow plugs @ 83,571 miles. It took a little less than an hour to replace all of them.

Glow plug #4 code came on around 83,000miles and since back in August I replaced the #1 plug @ 78,000 miles (see post #131 in this thread) I decided to replace all of them today including #1 since it was a BERU and the new ones I bought are BOSCH (I don’t think mixing brands matters but just in case).

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #155
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Moved from another thread, maybe someone can move the previous discussion too

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29

And you are sure that they have never been changed out before? Are you the original owner? And we may want to make another thread and get out of this one.
I am not the original owner but I have complete service records and only three were previously replaced, then I also changed out another forum members glow plugs. He was the original owner and never replaced any glow plugs, there were the same part number as the ones I removed from mine.
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #156
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Link to post I just made....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...plugs-1461029/
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #157
flacrd
2007 WK 

Thank you to those that have posted about changing glow plugs. Sorry if I missed it but what about glow plug control module? I have skimmed several sites where this was the culprit and it was recommended to go ahead and change all six and the control module? Mine just turned 31,000 miles and I was surprised to see such an early failure like this. My Florida dealer wants $54.00 for a single glow plug and $250.00 for the module and a $100. for labor. I would appreciate all comments you have on this. I am a 100% DAV and will have to have someone do the labor and really don't want to pay for it twice or more if it can be avoided

07 GC CRD
flacrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #158
brew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacrd View Post
Thank you to those that have posted about changing glow plugs. Sorry if I missed it but what about glow plug control module? I have skimmed several sites where this was the culprit and it was recommended to go ahead and change all six and the control module? Mine just turned 31,000 miles and I was surprised to see such an early failure like this. My Florida dealer wants $54.00 for a single glow plug and $250.00 for the module and a $100. for labor. I would appreciate all comments you have on this. I am a 100% DAV and will have to have someone do the labor and really don't want to pay for it twice or more if it can be avoided

07 GC CRD
Last week our GC was hard to start in the colder single digit temps here in Wisconsin. Engine would crank, sputter and wanted to start. It was throwing a Glow Plug #1 circuit fault code. Plugged in the block heater and let it sit for a couple hours and it fired up without too much drama. Can run the engine and let it sit for a couple hours and it will fire up fine, provided it is still warm.

Since #1 and #2 glow plugs were the only ones I hadn't replaced yet, I replaced them yesterday and cleared the fault code. Same issue returned, engine cranks great but won't start in the cold, plug in the block heater and it would start. Fault code for Glow plug circuit #1 returned.

I picked up a Glow Plug Control Module from a local MB dealer today for $199. MB part# A6429005801, prior MB part# was A6429002800. Prices at local MB dealers ranged from $182 - $202. Local Jeep dealer was $240 with a 5-7 day special order. Only 1 MB dealer out of 3 had the part in stock, the others were a 2 day wait.

Easy install.

The module is located on the front/top of the engine to the left of silver colored intercooler tubing. Disconnect negative battery terminal clamp using a 10mm open end wrench and a flat head wrench to spread the terminal clamp. Wrap the terminal clamp in a small towel/rag. Remove engine cover (2) 10mm bolts. Remove Glow Plug Control Module mounting bracket (4) 8mm bolts, (1) 10 mm nut. Remove the two electrical connections, round one first. The oval connector was a PITA to remove due to the two plastic snaps that hold it in place. I sprayed the connector and snaps with silicone and let it soak for a few minutes and eventually pressed, wiggled, pulled and pried off the connector with the help of a flat end screwdriver.

Installation was reverse and took a little longer lining up the bolt holes and fishing out an 8mm socket that fell down between the engine block and pulley. I use a little dielectric grease on the electrical connections when re-installing. Cold engine fired right up after sitting for about 10 hours without the heater block connected. Cleared the fault code and we'll see how this fix holds up.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited by brew1; 02-04-2013 at 09:35 PM..
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #159
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacrd View Post

07 GC CRD
We ordered the glow plug module from genuinemercedesparts.com for $144 for my mom's 07 ML320 CDI.

This is the part number we used: 6429002700
There have been newer versions and revisions so that's why there are multiple part numbers. I believe that part number is the newest revision. It was smaller than the one that it replaced and now the car is running perfectly.

Here is a video of how to change it that I found on Youtube. It is very easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lTHsyjuquE
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #160
brew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew1 View Post
Last week our GC was hard to start in the colder single digit temps here in Wisconsin. Engine would crank, sputter and wanted to start. It was throwing a Glow Plug #1 circuit fault code. Plugged in the block heater and let it sit for a couple hours and it fired up without too much drama. Can run the engine and let it sit for a couple hours and it will fire up fine, provided it is still warm.

Since #1 and #2 glow plugs were the only ones I hadn't replaced yet, I replaced them yesterday and cleared the fault code. Same issue returned, engine cranks great but won't start in the cold, plug in the block heater and it would start. Fault code for Glow plug circuit #1 returned.

I picked up a Glow Plug Control Module from a local MB dealer today for $199. MB part# A6429005801, prior MB part# was A6429002800. Prices at local MB dealers ranged from $182 - $202. Local Jeep dealer was $240 with a 5-7 day special order. Only 1 MB dealer out of 3 had the part in stock, the others were a 2 day wait.

Easy install.

The module is located on the front/top of the engine to the left of silver colored intercooler tubing. Disconnect negative battery terminal clamp using a 10mm open end wrench and a flat head wrench to spread the terminal clamp. Wrap the terminal clamp in a small towel/rag. Remove engine cover (2) 10mm bolts. Remove Glow Plug Control Module mounting bracket (4) 8mm bolts, (1) 10 mm nut. Remove the two electrical connections, round one first. The oval connector was a PITA to remove due to the two plastic snaps that hold it in place. I sprayed the connector and snaps with silicone and let it soak for a few minutes and eventually pressed, wiggled, pulled and pried off the connector with the help of a flat end screwdriver.

Installation was reverse and took a little longer lining up the bolt holes and fishing out an 8mm socket that fell down between the engine block and pulley. I use a little dielectric grease on the electrical connections when re-installing. Cold engine fired right up after sitting for about 10 hours without the heater block connected. Cleared the fault code and we'll see how this fix holds up.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Correction on my post above. The code that kept repeating itself was actually P0467 Glow Plug Module Circuit #1, not Glow Plug #1. Both the glow plug and the glow plug control module have been replaced and the vehicle is working fine.

Ordering parts online is fine if you don't mind waiting, there are some great prices from various sources, however, I like purchasing local to make sure you can compare the new part with the replacement part before purchasing.

Last edited by brew1; 02-04-2013 at 09:36 PM..
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #161
flacrd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Correction on my post above. The code that kept repeating itself was actually P0467 Glow Plug Module Circuit #1, not Glow Plug #1. Both the glow plug and the glow plug control module have been replaced and the vehicle is working fine.

Ordering parts online is fine if you don't mind waiting, there are some great prices from various sources, however, I like purchasing local to make sure you can compare the new part with the replacement part before purchasing.
Thank you brew1 for the fast response and valuable info. What did you pay for the glow plugs and did you stick with OEM?

07 GC CRD
06 VW TDI
05 Liberty CRD (Lemon Lawed) after two years of patience
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #162
flacrd
2007 WK 

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
We ordered the glow plug module from genuinemercedesparts.com for $144 for my mom's 07 ML320 CDI.

This is the part number we used: 6429002700
There have be newer versions and revisions so that's why there are multiple part numbers. I believe that part number is the newest revision. It was smaller than the one that it replaced and now the car is running perfectly.

Here is a video of how to change it that I found on Youtube. It is very easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lTHsyjuquE
Thanks jjt 250 for saving me a $$$hundred bucks vs dealers prices. I will be visiting the mb site you referenced. I found one one ebay for $$200. Where and what brand glow plugs did you go with? I found six NIB, OEM, Beru branded on ebay for $130., no tax and free shipping. Now I will pay homage to the turbo god after I have seen that they cost 2G's and a $600 intercooler as well. Better yet I will slow down before I get home and allow it to cool down properly and change the oil more frequently than the 7500 I have been.

07 GC CRD
06 VW TDI (Jetta)
05 Liberty CRD (Lemon Lawed) sadly after two years of failures from bumper to bumper
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #163
brew1

flacrd,

I picked a set of Mercedes glow plugs on Ebay for around $120. They appeared to be OEM Beru, same as the ones I removed.

I see no reason to change your oil more frequently than the 7,500 mile interval you currently practice unless you are not using a quality synthetic oil and not changing your air filter regularly.
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #164
flacrd
2007 WK 

Oil changes

Quote:
flacrd,

I picked a set of Mercedes glow plugs on Ebay for around $120. They appeared to be OEM Beru, same as the ones I removed.

I see no reason to change your oil more frequently than the 7,500 mile interval you currently practice unless you are not using a quality synthetic oil and not changing your air filter regularly.
Were they ceramic or steel? Yes, I will probably stay at 7500 intervals for changes and yes I only have used Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel Oil 5w-30. I was more than pleased when Walmart started carrying this oil, by the gallon for around $29.00.

Bosch wrote me an offered six glow plug for $85. delivered. Thinking hard on this even after I have purchased the 6 Beru's. My mechanic told me he had to remove a head on a Liberty after a ceramic broke off and was un retrievable. Maybe steel glow plug is the way to go.

I am trying to locate the factory engine code, any clue to it's location? I have also found a NIB OEM module for $125.00 delivered.
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #165
brew1

The Beru GP are all metal. The Beru GP that came in the MB boxes were identical to the ones that I removed from the GC.

My Liberty CRD uses an Italian sourced diesel and I can't comment on the GP used in the Liberty because I've never had to replace one yet.

The GP that I replaced in my VW TDI are also all metal.

Removing the GP from the GC was quite easy. I removed them when the engine was cold and just sprayed them with some Liquid Wrench a few minutes prior to removal. Ask your mechanic to apply some anti-sieze thread compound to the threads on the GP prior to installation. The next person that has to remove the GP will appreciate it.

I'm not sure what the engine code is but I'm pretty sure if you provided the VIN from the dashboard, any Jeep dealer could probably tell you everything you wanted to know about the vehicle, including the engine.

Is the NIB OEM module for $125 a Glow Plug Control Module? I posted the latest revision number from MB in my prior post. The revised MB GP Control Module looked slightly different that the original. I'm hoping the latest revision is an improvement over the original. It seems quite a few of the original units met a premature death. My GC is at about 99,000 miles, but I have to seen several posts where the module expired at much lower mileage.

In any case, I've decided to run the GC without the plastic engine cover to help dissipate heat from sensitive electronic modules trapped under the engine cover. I understand the GDE Hot Tune that the GC is currently running may cause some extra heat to be generated by the turbo.

Good luck with your GC!

Mark

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.