CRD Glow Plug issue - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Glow Plug issue

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #136
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Just changed #2 glow plug, erased the code and it came back. Then I read further in this thread and found the right glow plug order .... lol my bad!

YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #137
RobyD
2007 WK 

Just changed out GP#4 on 07 w 62,000 miles. Located at Front drivers side. 20 mins. Used regular needle nose pulling straight up lightly gripping the white electrical cap on top of the plug. 8mm long socket w extension to clear ratchet over the turbo pipe.

First GP was #3 @ 52,000 miles.

Thanks again to Merlin, Suzie, Chirpz, and others for clarifying the location pattern
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #138
fred99x
2008 WK 

Just changed out the #2 glow plug at about 50,000 miles. In regards to the 8 mm deep socket, make sure if you buy one that the section that fits around the glow plug goes deep into the socket. Luckily when I went looking for a deep socket, I had the glow plug with me and the first deep socket I found would not go down far enough on the glow plug.
fred99x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #139
Lil'Devil

My CEL came on yesterday and according to my scan tool my #5 glow plug circuit was bad. I picked up a replacement from the local Mercedes dealership here in Cornwall, Ontario for $31 + tax. The local Jeep stealership wanted $56!

Luckily the #5 cylinder is easy to access but I did disconnect the the electrical connector just ahead of the glowplug connector to give me a little extra slack in the wiring.

I hate plastic connectors. I used a small set of needle nose pliers to remove the glow plug electrical connector and while it worked i did slightly mangle the tabs. I think the proper tool would make the job easier.

I used a 8mm deep socket but discovered it didn't slide over even half of the glow plug hex. With a torque wrench I tried carefully and it came out easy (cold engine, no penetrating lube).

The stock glow plug had the older BERU number on it and there was a noticeable mark near the tip that looked similar to an arc burn but not as damaging.

Reassembly was pretty easy. I bolted it all back together, cleared the code, and restarted the engine without any troubles. Time will tell if I caught it soon enough to prevent any other glow plugs from failing. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks to those who have already contributed to this thread.

My mileage is 105,000 km (65,250 miles) and this is my first glow plug replacement. I can only imagine what the dealership would have charged me!
Lil'Devil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #140
fbeaulie
2008 WK 

Glow plug #5

Got a code for glow plug #5. Quite happy to have found this thread.

Interestingly, it also happened shortly after being serviced at the dealership – including replacing fuel filter…

Just ordered glow plugs from mtl-autoparts.com (they are in Montreal - free shipping in Canada (no minimum order). I ordered Beru because I coulnd't confirm that they had the correct Bosch number (I didn't fully read this thread before ordering). They have the old Bosch 80047 for $23.31 (they indicate "superseded"), the new Bosch 80050 for $25.07 and Beru for $42.13.
fbeaulie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #141
fbeaulie
2008 WK 

BTW, my wife asked me why I'm not getting the glow plug replaced at my dealership (Dilawri - Ottawa).

My answer was: Replacing both windshield washer nozzles (one broke just before an appointment and they phoned me to tell me that the other one was cracked) - $186... ($30.50 for each nozzle – $15,42 for the hose and 0.8 hours labor ($88)+ HST)...
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #142
fbeaulie
2008 WK 

Changed glow plug #5 last night (warm engine - a bit of WD-40) and it came out easy. Put a bit of anti-seize coumpound on the new plug before installing it. Cleared the code and has not come back. Very easy job (quite happy that it was not #6!).

Just make sure you have a short enough extension for glow plug #5 (and potentially #2) - the cross bar (or whatever it is called) is just over it. Just enough clearance for a 8mm deep socket and the screwdriver.
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #143
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeaulie View Post

Interestingly, it also happened shortly after being serviced at the dealership – including replacing fuel filter…

Just ordered glow plugs from mtl-autoparts.com (they are in Montreal - free shipping in Canada (no minimum order). I ordered Beru because I coulnd't confirm that they had the correct Bosch number (I didn't fully read this thread before ordering). They have the old Bosch 80047 for $23.31 (they indicate "superseded"), the new Bosch 80050 for $25.07 and Beru for $42.13.
thanks for the good information, I plan to order a couple glow plugs and keep them in the tool box.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #144
oilverland
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeaulie View Post

I think I saw somewhere in this forum that the ground lead that is held on by one of the fuel filter clamp bolts related to the glow plugs, and, if not connected, can lead to glow plug death. That's from recall and not sure how I could search for that, but you might check. That ground lead has a flat circular connector on the end of it.
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #145
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
in a couple threads I read where owners argued with chrysler in north america, the response was that these are "wear items", like brakes, shocks, windshield wipers.

I guess my point is if they are roughly $40/each and 6 are needed, should owners just replace them every 3 years or 20000 miles? I've changed spark plugs before so maybe its not to difficult to do glow plugs.

I think it is a good idea. They seem to go in pairs. Not sure what the reasoning is for failure. You may not need to replace all six, but once was in to replacing 1 the others are right there and it takes minutes to swap them out at that point, so at 30-35 each, its worth the extra 30-40 minutes to swap out the side (at least). Its more of a pain to have to put it all back together and then in a short time have another go at it for 1 plug.
Shmigsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #146
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

to add....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmigsy View Post
I think it is a good idea. They seem to go in pairs. Not sure what the reasoning is for failure. You may not need to replace all six, but once was in to replacing 1 the others are right there and it takes minutes to swap them out at that point, so at 30-35 each, its worth the extra 30-40 minutes to swap out the side (at least). Its more of a pain to have to put it all back together and then in a short time have another go at it for 1 plug.
Also- although it is a relatively easy repair, there is always the treat of damaging the thread, or breaking the tip off and having a mess to contend with to get it out after that. So my rational is that once the engine is warmed up, its a nice day and you are on that path anyway, there is less chance of laziness, or forgetfullness to creep in - more likely if you're pissed at having to take everything apart for the third time to change one plug...
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #147
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Just bought off of eBay 6 Bosch 80050 glow plugs 18.24 each with free shipping. Total of 109.44 for all six

Just purchased the jeep with three bad glow plugs. I'm going to change them all and hang onto the three remaining good ones for spares
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #148
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevotion
Just bought off of eBay 6 Bosch 80050 glow plugs 18.24 each with free shipping. Total of 109.44 for all six

Just purchased the jeep with three bad glow plugs. I'm going to change them all and hang onto the three remaining good ones for spares
Just an update, replaced all 6 in about an hour, but could do it quicker now that I've done it. Seen others had trouble with #6. I just used a set of long reach needle nose pliers with a slight bend on the end to remove the plug, removed the driver side bolt for the engine cover bracket and loosened the other side and swung it out of the way. Then removed the glow plug with a 1/4" drive deep well 8mm, universal joint and long extension. Might not have even needed the u joint tho. CEL stayed on, drove about 5 miles, shut off the jeep and when I restarted no CEL! I didn't clear it just to see how long it would take to clear itself.
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #149
Shmigsy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevotion View Post
Just an update, replaced all 6 in about an hour, but could do it quicker now that I've done it. Seen others had trouble with #6. I just used a set of long reach needle nose pliers with a slight bend on the end to remove the plug, removed the driver side bolt for the engine cover bracket and loosened the other side and swung it out of the way. Then removed the glow plug with a 1/4" drive deep well 8mm, universal joint and long extension. Might not have even needed the u joint tho. CEL stayed on, drove about 5 miles, shut off the jeep and when I restarted no CEL! I didn't clear it just to see how long it would take to clear itself.
That was my exact procedure also.
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #150
tdibill

I have number 5 plug being called out. Looks like it is fairly easy to get at. I tried removing the plastic connector by grabbing the sides and pulling straight up with a pair of needle nose pliers. I did not want to exert too much force and break it. Would I be better off getting 90 degree needle nose pliers and grabbing the round portion of the connector and pulling straight up?
tdibill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.