CRD Glow Plug issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Glow Plug issue

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

CRD Glow Plug issue

This will make some laugh and others as mad as I was. We have our CRD at the stealership due to a check engine light last weekend that was a glow plug #5 fault. The jeep has 33K miles and at 25.8K, we had glow plug #2 replaced under warranty of course. We are now 3 months outside the warranty, and gues what........ext warranty does not cover glow plugs.

When the mechanic got on the phone, he starts in with oil needs to be changed, air filter, oh and did I know that the ONLY oil you can use is Mobil 1. I replied thats not true, you can use any oil that meets MB 229.51 specs.....isnt that right. He reluctantly says, yes, and I replied all oil changes done by me properly. He says did you wait 20 min before starting it, I replied, actually I poured half the oil down the filter housing, half in the crankcase, and waited 30 min, per MB service procedures (thanks Merlin). Service techs (at least in the US....Im not talking about Merlin) are the most arrogant people I have ever met.

Anyway, call Chrysler warranty, find out even the MAX extended service plan does not cover glow plugs. They gave me Jeep cust service 800. Call them, and the woman who answered actually asked me what a glow plug was......I couldn't believe it. After being on hold for about 5 min, she comes back and says that glow plugs are only on diesels.....big shocker, and she has never had a call about one. I asked her how many diesels were put in Jeep, I don't have that information, sir..... I had her make me a reference #, and got off the phone.

Service is fixing the Glow Plug for $151. I will update when service manager calls tommorrow.

MB dealer in my area says he can't remember the last glow plug they put on a 07 CRD.

To be continued......

CRD Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I had a glow plug replaced under our extended warranty purchased through Chrysler. We had about 58,000 miles on our 2008 so it was well past the standard warranty. We had to pay the $100 deductible for our extended warranty and not a penny more.

That was a few weeks ago and now the check engine light is on again. I haven't had the code scanned yet, but the glow plug indicator lights up a few seconds after it starts just like it did before.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

If you dont mind me asking do you have the Max warranty?
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
merlinTec

UK would cover this under normal warranty 50k 5 years emissions, do you not have a longer warranty time for emissions?
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

Chrysler says glow plugs are not covered under emissions and also not covered under ext warranty, she actually told me they are not a maintenece item, they are to be replaced when they go bad, and sometimes they go bad, and they are only covered under the 3yr/36K mile original bumper to bumper warranty. I am now worried that if I have a swirl motor issue, they are not going to cover it. I originally thought having a MB product in a Jeep would be a good idea, and I think in theory it is, but the way Chrysler USA is handling it makes me think I should get rid of it before it really cost me alot of money.
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
suzieque
2008 WK 

I'd like to understand why glow plugs fail. Is it poor fuel? Is it excessive idling? Is it not waiting until the glow plug symbol goes out on the dashboard before starting?

The sense I got after reading a couple threads about the issue suggested that once one fails, you should do them all.

Maybe if its not to difficult to do, an owner could buy the tools and do it themselves?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

On my Added Care contract it states, Diesel Engine: Cylinder Block and all Internal Parts; Cylinder Head Assemblies;Timing Gears and Cover;Harmonic Balancer;Oil Pump;Water Pump and Housing;Intake and Exhaust Manifolds;Core Plugs;Valve Covers;Oil Pan;Turbocharger Housing and Internal Parts;FuelInjection Pump and Injectors;Seals and Gaskets for listed components only.

So my questions are these: Is the swirl motor problem covered under the above terms. Why in the world would they not cover the glow plugs?
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Owner View Post
Why in the world would they not cover the glow plugs?
in a couple threads I read where owners argued with chrysler in north america, the response was that these are "wear items", like brakes, shocks, windshield wipers.

I guess my point is if they are roughly $40/each and 6 are needed, should owners just replace them every 3 years or 20000 miles? I've changed spark plugs before so maybe its not to difficult to do glow plugs.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
merlinTec

jeep warranty is jeep warranty, years and miles change but what is covered should be the same. it's not a spark plug so should not be covered as such, there is no service time when you should change the glow plugs as there is with spark plugs.
So the U,S don't cover glow plug and don't cover the modified intake pipe.
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Owner View Post
Chrysler says glow plugs are not covered under emissions and also not covered under ext warranty, she actually told me they are not a maintenece item, they are to be replaced when they go bad, and sometimes they go bad, and they are only covered under the 3yr/36K mile original bumper to bumper warranty. I am now worried that if I have a swirl motor issue, they are not going to cover it. I originally thought having a MB product in a Jeep would be a good idea, and I think in theory it is, but the way Chrysler USA is handling it makes me think I should get rid of it before it really cost me alot of money.
I have the same thoughts.....a 4 Runner looks better and better
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
Swayse
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've gone back and forth on selling our Jeep. We really like it, but keeping it for a long time is a bit scary.
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayse View Post
I've gone back and forth on selling our Jeep. We really like it, but keeping it for a long time is a bit scary.
If it help I love them and I would love to have one. In fact should I past my Jeep interview and get offered a company vehicle this is what I will go for.
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
If it help I love them and I would love to have one. In fact should I past my Jeep interview and get offered a company vehicle this is what I will go for.
Yea it worries me as well...BUT mine was my company car and I purchased it for $7500 when the lease was up. So I only have that much invested in the Jeep. It makes it a little easier to sleep at night.

Last edited by scootr29; 08-01-2010 at 08:53 PM..
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

Does anyone know the part number for the Glow Plug?
BigSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

The dealer just replaced our glow plug control unit under the extended warranty since the code still showed a fault in circuit #5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison View Post
I had a glow plug replaced under our extended warranty purchased through Chrysler. We had about 58,000 miles on our 2008 so it was well past the standard warranty. We had to pay the $100 deductible for our extended warranty and not a penny more.

That was a few weeks ago and now the check engine light is on again. I haven't had the code scanned yet, but the glow plug indicator lights up a few seconds after it starts just like it did before.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.