JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   CRD Glow Plug issue (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/crd-glow-plug-issue-1079150/)

CRD Owner 07-29-2010 04:00 PM

CRD Glow Plug issue

This will make some laugh and others as mad as I was. We have our CRD at the stealership due to a check engine light last weekend that was a glow plug #5 fault. The jeep has 33K miles and at 25.8K, we had glow plug #2 replaced under warranty of course. We are now 3 months outside the warranty, and gues what........ext warranty does not cover glow plugs.

When the mechanic got on the phone, he starts in with oil needs to be changed, air filter, oh and did I know that the ONLY oil you can use is Mobil 1. I replied thats not true, you can use any oil that meets MB 229.51 specs.....isnt that right. He reluctantly says, yes, and I replied all oil changes done by me properly. He says did you wait 20 min before starting it, I replied, actually I poured half the oil down the filter housing, half in the crankcase, and waited 30 min, per MB service procedures (thanks Merlin). Service techs (at least in the US....Im not talking about Merlin) are the most arrogant people I have ever met.

Anyway, call Chrysler warranty, find out even the MAX extended service plan does not cover glow plugs. They gave me Jeep cust service 800. Call them, and the woman who answered actually asked me what a glow plug was......I couldn't believe it. After being on hold for about 5 min, she comes back and says that glow plugs are only on diesels.....big shocker, and she has never had a call about one. I asked her how many diesels were put in Jeep, I don't have that information, sir..... I had her make me a reference #, and got off the phone.

Service is fixing the Glow Plug for $151. I will update when service manager calls tommorrow.

MB dealer in my area says he can't remember the last glow plug they put on a 07 CRD.

To be continued......

NDSU_Bison 07-29-2010 08:06 PM

I had a glow plug replaced under our extended warranty purchased through Chrysler. We had about 58,000 miles on our 2008 so it was well past the standard warranty. We had to pay the $100 deductible for our extended warranty and not a penny more.

That was a few weeks ago and now the check engine light is on again. I haven't had the code scanned yet, but the glow plug indicator lights up a few seconds after it starts just like it did before.

CRD Owner 07-29-2010 08:11 PM

If you dont mind me asking do you have the Max warranty?

merlinTec 07-30-2010 12:52 AM

UK would cover this under normal warranty 50k 5 years emissions, do you not have a longer warranty time for emissions?

CRD Owner 07-30-2010 06:58 AM

Chrysler says glow plugs are not covered under emissions and also not covered under ext warranty, she actually told me they are not a maintenece item, they are to be replaced when they go bad, and sometimes they go bad, and they are only covered under the 3yr/36K mile original bumper to bumper warranty. I am now worried that if I have a swirl motor issue, they are not going to cover it. I originally thought having a MB product in a Jeep would be a good idea, and I think in theory it is, but the way Chrysler USA is handling it makes me think I should get rid of it before it really cost me alot of money.

suzieque 07-30-2010 08:49 AM

I'd like to understand why glow plugs fail. Is it poor fuel? Is it excessive idling? Is it not waiting until the glow plug symbol goes out on the dashboard before starting?

The sense I got after reading a couple threads about the issue suggested that once one fails, you should do them all.

Maybe if its not to difficult to do, an owner could buy the tools and do it themselves?

CRD Owner 07-30-2010 10:07 AM

On my Added Care contract it states, Diesel Engine: Cylinder Block and all Internal Parts; Cylinder Head Assemblies;Timing Gears and Cover;Harmonic Balancer;Oil Pump;Water Pump and Housing;Intake and Exhaust Manifolds;Core Plugs;Valve Covers;Oil Pan;Turbocharger Housing and Internal Parts;FuelInjection Pump and Injectors;Seals and Gaskets for listed components only.

So my questions are these: Is the swirl motor problem covered under the above terms. Why in the world would they not cover the glow plugs?

suzieque 07-30-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRD Owner (Post 9877213)
Why in the world would they not cover the glow plugs?

in a couple threads I read where owners argued with chrysler in north america, the response was that these are "wear items", like brakes, shocks, windshield wipers.

I guess my point is if they are roughly $40/each and 6 are needed, should owners just replace them every 3 years or 20000 miles? I've changed spark plugs before so maybe its not to difficult to do glow plugs. :)

merlinTec 07-30-2010 01:08 PM

jeep warranty is jeep warranty, years and miles change but what is covered should be the same. it's not a spark plug so should not be covered as such, there is no service time when you should change the glow plugs as there is with spark plugs.
So the U,S don't cover glow plug and don't cover the modified intake pipe.

scootr29 07-30-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRD Owner (Post 9876488)
Chrysler says glow plugs are not covered under emissions and also not covered under ext warranty, she actually told me they are not a maintenece item, they are to be replaced when they go bad, and sometimes they go bad, and they are only covered under the 3yr/36K mile original bumper to bumper warranty. I am now worried that if I have a swirl motor issue, they are not going to cover it. I originally thought having a MB product in a Jeep would be a good idea, and I think in theory it is, but the way Chrysler USA is handling it makes me think I should get rid of it before it really cost me alot of money.

I have the same thoughts.....a 4 Runner looks better and better

Swayse 08-01-2010 06:31 AM

I've gone back and forth on selling our Jeep. We really like it, but keeping it for a long time is a bit scary.

merlinTec 08-01-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swayse (Post 9885273)
I've gone back and forth on selling our Jeep. We really like it, but keeping it for a long time is a bit scary.

If it help I love them and I would love to have one. In fact should I past my Jeep interview and get offered a company vehicle this is what I will go for.

scootr29 08-01-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinTec (Post 9886899)
If it help I love them and I would love to have one. In fact should I past my Jeep interview and get offered a company vehicle this is what I will go for.

Yea it worries me as well...BUT mine was my company car and I purchased it for $7500 when the lease was up. So I only have that much invested in the Jeep. It makes it a little easier to sleep at night.

BigSensFan 08-25-2010 11:06 AM

Does anyone know the part number for the Glow Plug?

NDSU_Bison 08-25-2010 12:23 PM

The dealer just replaced our glow plug control unit under the extended warranty since the code still showed a fault in circuit #5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison (Post 9874648)
I had a glow plug replaced under our extended warranty purchased through Chrysler. We had about 58,000 miles on our 2008 so it was well past the standard warranty. We had to pay the $100 deductible for our extended warranty and not a penny more.

That was a few weeks ago and now the check engine light is on again. I haven't had the code scanned yet, but the glow plug indicator lights up a few seconds after it starts just like it did before.

The time now is 03:52 PM.