CRD : Final Drive, High revving cruise RPM's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD : Final Drive, High revving cruise RPM's

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 11-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
WKCRD757
2008 WK 

CRD : Final Drive, High revving cruise RPM's

So I immediately noticed upon driving my CRD home yesterday that it revs pretty high at cruise speed. Would a taller tire have a positive effect on MPG numbers at cruise speed or would the effects be cancelled out by having to move a larger tire?

Something like a 31-32in tall tire over the stock 29ish size would lower the RPMS, i'm not sure how much of a difference it would make though in the real world.

I guess the proper question is what is the ideal size for efficiency at cruise before MPG starts declining?

What are your thoughts?

Unread 11-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

I'd definitely go with a larger tire if I had a CRD. Makes no sense to me why they'd put the 3.73's with the diesel.

If you don't want to lift it, just go with whatever will fit in there. Plenty of threads discussing what fits on stock height. Myself, I'm sticking to stock height tires as I will never do any offroading (nothing but mud where I live) and I want my Hemi mpg to stay as good as possible...lol. 16-17 is tolerable, don't want any worse.
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Blue_Sassley
2008 WK 

Keep reading the forum there are a couple of other guys that have done larger tires and do see a bit of a MPG gain if I remember correctly (probably of the 4th or 5th page.

And yeah for me it was really hard to get used to seeing the tack so high when cruising the interstate - 2,500 to about 3,100

You might want to read over the FAQ thread thats sticked at the top, it covers a lot of info with tire sizes and tire sizes with lifts:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/f...-wk-xk-703598/

Blue
1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L - ST - Stock (Wreaked)
Blue_Sassley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
jaje
2007 WK 

This is a complete shortsightedness from Chrysler / Jeep as the final drive is way too high for this engine (if this was a gas v6 then it would be fine but not a low end torquey diesel). I spin over 2,500 RPM at 70 mph when not under any load. Larger diameter tires with a small lift will help. You can also change out the rear end / final drive as fishinbama has done here (though he has a 2wd - not sure if it's possible in a 4wd). I just don't go over 70 mph and more often just go 65 mph.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Correct, the final drive is way to high for the engine. I run a 255/70/17 tire with zero lift or mods to get the final drive more reasonable, before I install my suspension kit and go to a larger tire package. It drops it about 200 rpm's at 70 mph which is my most normal cruise rpm. I have noticed a small increase ~ .5 -1 mpg while cruising and it stayed about the same in city driving if I take it easy. If drive harder in the city it will go down because of the larger mass and rolling resistance.
I have a set of 3.08 axles for my wife's Jeep with QT2 that I plan on installing this winter to run with stockish size tires to really get a mpg vehicle. Hoping to get about 30 mpg with a few extra mods.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
WKCRD757
2008 WK 

Oh right on guys, this is good stuff! I do plan on a mild lift, probably the OME HD lift so I guess the taller tire size will help. I'm thinking of a 255 75 17. Dan, what combination are you looking at getting when you lift?

Jeff
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Taller tires will net some fuel economy but there are drawbacks such as increased wind resistance underneath the vehicle and increased rolling weight of the tire. Also, wider tires will lower fuel economy from the great frictional area/wind resistance.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
WKCRD757
2008 WK 

I think 25 75 17's should be a fairly good choice. They are slim yet they should still do well in the overlanding I plan to do with the Jeep. Now to figure out the lowest weighted tire in that size that is still plenty strong.
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
WKCRD757
2008 WK 

As much as I love the look and performance offroad of the BFG MT KM's they probably aren't the best move for highway MPG increases or will it matter that much? They weigh in at 48lbs in 255 75 17's. There are some other choices a few lbs lighter in some A/Ts. Anyone have any idea on the best compromise? I like the BFG MT's as there are quite a few that pop up on CL with the Rubcon wheels that look so good! Never driven on MT's though, have no idea how loud they are.

Jeff

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.