CRD exhaust pressure sensor problem sorted - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
davspeed
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: kirton lindsey
Posts: 3
CRD exhaust pressure sensor problem sorted

Hello every one this is my first post on here so I hope it will be of help to some one as repayment for all the useful info I have found on here.

I am UK based and have had my 2006 WK CRD with 100k miles for a couple of months after running a 1997 ZJ 2.5td for the last five years. As it was getting towards 200k I went for a change .

The new car was running fine until last week when after running for about five miles it just coughed and then stopped. It would run a bit in limp mode then OK for a bit then not at all. The engine check light was on but I had no meter and the key waggle did not work.
I managed to coax it home bit by bit and next day got a meter ( should have bought one years ago really) I had three codes p0471,p0472,p0473 all relating to the exhaust back pressure sensor.

I got a bit confused thinking I had a blocked DPF but after looking underneath my car doesn't look like it had one from new so assumed it was indeed the exhaust pressure sensor which is located at the rear of the engine to the right of the turbo.
They don't seem readily available from the usual Jeep parts places and I ended up getting one on eBay from a Mercedes main dealer for 50. the part number is A0071834328 not the same as the one I took out but apparently they have been changed several times.

I fitted it today and have been for a twenty mile run and all is fine again.

Attached Images
 
davspeed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2015, 04:41 PM
jediknight
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 647
Very informative !
Thank you.
And welcome to the forum!

2008 WK CRD Blue, QD II, Startech SD6 mod.
jediknight is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Red_liner740
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tottenham
Posts: 361
Yea, lots of CEL and lightning bolt light issues are actually related to this sensor but misdiagnosed as turbo actuator/EGR/dpf.

I chased the same problem as you for 2 months, partly because the exhaust back pressure sensor originally bought directly from MB dealership was faulty.
Red_liner740 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 01-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Drudgery1971
Member
 
Drudgery1971's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 436
Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum. I have a lightning bolt MIL currently but none of those codes and am having the EGR replaced currently. There are many, many issues that can trip the lightning bolt MIL so really glad you got it resolved and was a clean fix - some issues are not so straight forward

2007 WK Limited 3.0 CRD - Stock (Mine)
2010 XK Sport 5.7 Hemi - Stock (Wife)
Drudgery1971 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 PM
zedtechus
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by davspeed View Post
Hello every one this is my first post on here so I hope it will be of help to some one as repayment for all the useful info I have found on here.

I am UK based and have had my 2006 WK CRD with 100k miles for a couple of months after running a 1997 ZJ 2.5td for the last five years. As it was getting towards 200k I went for a change .

The new car was running fine until last week when after running for about five miles it just coughed and then stopped. It would run a bit in limp mode then OK for a bit then not at all. The engine check light was on but I had no meter and the key waggle did not work.
I managed to coax it home bit by bit and next day got a meter ( should have bought one years ago really) I had three codes p0471,p0472,p0473 all relating to the exhaust back pressure sensor.

I got a bit confused thinking I had a blocked DPF but after looking underneath my car doesn't look like it had one from new so assumed it was indeed the exhaust pressure sensor which is located at the rear of the engine to the right of the turbo.
They don't seem readily available from the usual Jeep parts places and I ended up getting one on eBay from a Mercedes main dealer for 50. the part number is A0071834328 not the same as the one I took out but apparently they have been changed several times.

I fitted it today and have been for a twenty mile run and all is fine again.
Hi Davspeed, I am having the same code P0471 since a couple of months with on and off MIL light... I bought this version of the sensor A0091535028.
My biggest problem is that I don't have enough space to remove the old sensor. Do you have any tips of how to remove this 24mm sensor?

Thank you.
Zed

2008 GC CRD Laredo - QT II - Jeep Black with 18" chrome wheels
zedtechus is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-29-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
davspeed
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: kirton lindsey
Posts: 3
I seem to remember that I had to remove the turbo heat shield and the strut brace. I then still had to use a ring spanner on the sensor as there was not enough room to get a socket in there. I will have a look at it tomorrow to see if I can remember exactly how I did it as it's over a year ago now.
davspeed is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Red_liner740
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tottenham
Posts: 361
I found a deep socket that can go over the sensor was too long once unthreaded. I ended up grinding a 24mm socket down so it would sit low enough that once fully untreaded would clear the cowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedtechus View Post
Hi Davspeed, I am having the same code P0471 since a couple of months with on and off MIL light... I bought this version of the sensor A0091535028.
My biggest problem is that I don't have enough space to remove the old sensor. Do you have any tips of how to remove this 24mm sensor?

Thank you.
Zed
Red_liner740 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 AM
zedtechus
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740 View Post
I found a deep socket that can go over the sensor was too long once unthreaded. I ended up grinding a 24mm socket down so it would sit low enough that once fully untreaded would clear the cowl.
Thank you very much, basically I wanted to make sure this can be done without removing any other parts around the sensor. I will go to the hardware store and try to find something like half deep socket and an angle wrench see if I have more luck with it.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

2008 GC CRD Laredo - QT II - Jeep Black with 18" chrome wheels
zedtechus is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome