JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   crd engine tdc performance chip (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/crd-engine-tdc-performance-chip-548089/)

threejeep 04-19-2008 02:57 PM

crd engine tdc performance chip

I have installed a tdc chip in my 3.0 crd, runs ok, but can't notice any performance change. The trouble shooting guide says to make sure you have it hooked up to the correct sensor. Ok, does anyone know for sure where the cr fuel sensor is? It seems to be simple, there seems to be only one, and only one way to attach it. Help. The factory offers to help if you send pix, but they're closed this week.

---- 04-19-2008 05:12 PM

I'd love to offer some assistance but I wasn't aware of any "TDC" performance chip to date. Do you have a link for the product, or any additional info regarding the install? I think we'd all love to see a picture or two if you have a chance.

threejeep 04-19-2008 05:58 PM

TDC technologies LLc, and upscale auto.com offer Jeep/mercedes 3.0 crd chips. I have read good reviews of the TDC chip in other forums, installed it today, but by seat of the pants dyno, can't tell an improvement. Maybe the engine sounds a little less strained.

crush33 04-19-2008 06:29 PM

If by "CR Fuel" sensor you mean the rail pressure sensor, it would be on the back end of one of the two fuel rails. Can't imagine what other sensor it would be in the injection system.

I read the product overview on the TDC website. They're claiming an increase in power/torque AND fuel economy WITHOUT affecting emissions and altering rail pressure. Seems like a stretch in the laws of physics to me. If it plugs into the rail pressure sensor the only parameter it could be altering is rail (injection) pressure which would alter fuel quantity (i.e. more fuel = increased power). BUT everything else constant that would decrease fuel economy and probably increase particulate output.

Bottom line: you don't get something for nothing.

---- 04-20-2008 07:00 AM

A lot of that depends on the driver's ability to ease on the pedal. :mod: Remember, better atomization lends more power from an equal output of fuel as compared to stock. Flow increases are certainly mated to economy losses.

Kulverstukas 04-20-2008 12:59 PM

Saw interesting link about "what inside little balck boxes"

s3eblue 04-20-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crush33 (Post 5110141)
If by "CR Fuel" sensor you mean the rail pressure sensor, it would be on the back end of one of the two fuel rails. Can't imagine what other sensor it would be in the injection system.

I read the product overview on the TDC website. They're claiming an increase in power/torque AND fuel economy WITHOUT affecting emissions and altering rail pressure. Seems like a stretch in the laws of physics to me. If it plugs into the rail pressure sensor the only parameter it could be altering is rail (injection) pressure which would alter fuel quantity (i.e. more fuel = increased power). BUT everything else constant that would decrease fuel economy and probably increase particulate output.

Bottom line: you don't get something for nothing.

I don't know about the TDC box but I have a spider performance box and it attaches to the end of the passenger side fuel rail really close to the firewall it's a tight squeeze. If it's working you should notice a big gain in low end torque:2thumbsup:

---- 04-21-2008 04:55 PM

Specifically, which of their boxes did you purchase?

threejeep 04-21-2008 05:44 PM

I have the CR+. It came preset on 3, and there is a noticeable increase in low speed torque, no change noticed in mileage. I haven't had the guts yet to increase the setting, but I have another user that has tried it and says it is great.

---- 05-08-2008 07:09 AM

I just picked up the PowerboxCR
Attachment 48261

Installation was a breeze, except I could have waited for the engine to cool first, saving a scald or two.

All That was needed for the install:

10mm socket w/extension and driver
Slip-joint pliers
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/pliers-1.jpg
Image copyright Howstuffworks.com
1 Zip-tie (included)
1 small width flat head screw driver

My actual installation went as follows:

Quote:

• Using the ratchet with 10mm socket, remove the engine cover
  • Next, locate the bolt securing the transmission dipstick tube located on the passenger side against the firewall
  • Remove the bolt and gently move the dipstick tube to the side
  • Using the pliers, secure the tool over the sensor boot located at the very end of the fuel rail
  • Apply enough pressure to depress the release mechanism in the connector and guide the pliers toward the firewall
  • With the fuel rail connector removed, attach the first of the two plugs on the PowerboxCR to the fuel rail using the connector matching the original just removed
  • Attach the remaining factory fuel rail connector to the remaining connector on the PowerboxCR
  • Fasten your PowerboxCR using the provided zip tie or any secure method
  • Replace the bolts for your transmission dipstick tube and engine cover

Tuning the box is just as easy, though making any adjustments will require you to go under the hood with the small screw driver. Adjustments for increased power are achieved by turning the adjustment screw counter-clockwise one whole turn at a time. You can reduce the box's effect by turning the screw clockwise.

==Gains==

At the factory default setting, no noticeable difference was observed. However, by adjusting the screw counter-clockwise by four whole turns a new engine springs to life. I have not gone much farther than four turns of the screw to date. With the PowerboxCR working under the hood shredding some tire is not hard to do from an idle launch.

Additionally, having been embarrassed by a friend's 3500 5.9 Cummins with a DiabloSport Powerpuck only a week ago, I was anxious to wreak my revenge. The rematch was nothing like before. Originally, the RAM 3500 pulled away from my stock setup as if I had completely lifted the accelerator. This time was the complete opposite.

The power delivery appears to be much smoother. The power band feels more consistent and really shows it's stuff during highway overtaking. :shhh: I don't have an EGT installed at this time, but I am monitoring rail pressure, A/F ratio, CAT temps and ECT via DashHawk. The only difference thus far has been A/F ratio. Cat temps can creep faster than before on the highway, but this is generally limited to full throttle jaunts lasting more than a quarter-mile.

***Fuel mileage has increased by 2mpg*** (provided you leave the lead foot at home) and engine temps are normal.

The TDC website makes the following claims at increased power for the 3.0 CRD engine:

Original
kW 160
HP 215
PS/bhp 218
ft/lbs Torque 376
NM 510

With TDC PowerBox
kW 190
HP 254
PS/bhp 258
ft/lbs Torque 443
NM 600

Sorry for the lack of pictures. Perhaps I can add them later.

:cheers2:

---- 05-14-2008 06:04 PM

Update: Performance has increased dramatically since adding the filter and CR performance chip. Things have improved so much that I'm compelled to install an EGT probe. The part should arrive tomorrow, followed by a weekend installation.

The probe wires direct to the DashHawk so the display will continue to integrate with the other PIDs already being displayed and logged.

In the next couple of weeks a dyno run should be possible. I hope to push more torque to the wheels than the 6.1 HEMI. Wish me luck! :-D

jeepgaffer 05-14-2008 07:02 PM

Wow...sounds pretty cool!

You definitely need to post some pics/video of your tire shredding!!!

---- 05-14-2008 07:54 PM

Oddly, the torque overpowers the front wheels!? So if everyone is cool with FWD burnouts, that won't be an issue. :-)

Zlartibartfast 05-17-2008 09:50 AM

Sounds Amazing! So, Rob - you have the K&N drop in air filter, right? What about exhaust upgrades- anything? Running something special in the fuel tank?

Performance gains like that from a simple add-on device - WOW

---- 05-17-2008 11:32 AM

I've changed the filter. As any JGC-CRD owner probably knows, there's not much aftermarket support for the engine at this time. That being said, I decided to "make" my own "performance" intake. This involved completely removing the air box and installing a high-flow, micro-filter. The barometric pressure sensor had to be relocated during this mod so I used a Dremel to drill mounts in the intake pipe and mounted the baro sensor a little closer to the turbo. I will post a video (maybe today) of the difference this has made. The turbo sounds unbelievable, over and above the K&N and even more so than the stock filter.

As for the "add-on" device, gains such as the ones I've exemplified are very realistic because of the way the CR box works. If you understand the basics on diesel combustion versus gasoline, you probably already know that they're nearly inverse by principle of mixture, detonation and efficiency. With that in mind, the box simply tricks the computer into thinking the fuel temperature is higher at the rail than it is actually. Scientifically, all materials expand with heat thus the computer adds more fuel to the combustion chamber to compensate.

There's more detail behind this, but I don't want to inundate anyone with more than they're interested in knowing. I will say the potential side effect would be increased combustion/exhaust gas temperatures in this example, hence the peace of mind attained from installing an EGT probe.

Sorry if that was extraneous. Thanks for the comment!

The time now is 07:55 AM.