CRD Engine Swap? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Engine Swap?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #31
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon
I'm truly sorry if I mistook your sincerity for sarcasm. Thank you, but I thought I made it clear in the original post that my engine is fine, I don't plan on swapping for anything in the foreseeable future, and I probably wouldn't go with a stock engine if going to the trouble of a swap. With four engines offered in the WK, I didn't think it was out of the question that at least a few guys have had an engine failure and gone with one of the other three.

Sorry to hear about your experience with that dealership, that's a shame.
It's a very swap if someone had 3.7 or a 4.7 and wanted to go with a hemi because parts are available everywhere. I'm sure no one has done a CRD swap because they are very rare. Your only real hope to finding one would be to source one from a sprinter, and it'll prob have 300,000 miles on it. It would be a huge undertaking to do it right, and would not be cost effective.

DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

I think the easiest 3.7 swap would be to a 6.1, no matter what your going to have to splice the ECU but the 3.7 & 6.1 use the same transmission. Not sure if the rest of the drivetrain will support it. Ive actually seen quite a bit of 3.7 parts, built heads and high and low compression pistons. I thought about buying a junk yard 3.7 and seeing what i could do with it.
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #33
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk
I think the easiest 3.7 swap would be to a 6.1, no matter what your going to have to splice the ECU but the 3.7 & 6.1 use the same transmission. Not sure if the rest of the drivetrain will support it. Ive actually seen quite a bit of 3.7 parts, built heads and high and low compression pistons. I thought about buying a junk yard 3.7 and seeing what i could do with it.
There is enough of these lying around you could easily pull a whole harness from the junkyard and wouldn't have to worry about wiring. That's what we did when my brother swapped a powerstroke into a v10 excursion
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #34
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon
Sorry to hear about your experience with that dealership, that's a shame.
It would have been a shame if i let them get away with it. I fought and i won, they paid the full cost of the new engine (which may have been a little more then it really cost) installed at forced induction racing.
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #35
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon View Post
I thought as much, but odds are someone out there has done this. Usually there's at least one odd ball on these forums who's done the ridiculous; who's said damn the feasibility. There's a guy on my 350z forum who did a V8 swap at a cost of close to $20,000, even though any kid who's gone turbo for $3-$7K will blow the doors off his Z in a straight line and around a turn. He completely messed up his weight distribution also, but that didn't stop him.
you really don't know much about the 350Z, turbo kits start around $6k not installed, then all the extra parts you need to make it reliable $2k minimum( a lot of the same stuff the guy did with his LS swap) and you get around 400whp and your driving an expensive firecracker with a short fuse. Then a built motor to handle 500 to 600hp your looking at another $5k minimum. Then the upgraded turbo's to hit the Hp mark and guess what, once again your driving a firecracker with a short fuse. All prices mentioned are with you doing the work yourself, not that many of us can do that.

LS swaps can be done for around $10k , not extravagant , but mid to low 400whp and very reliable.

My other car, pic was taken on sunday at Streets of Willow.

IMG_6837 by terrasmak, on Flickr

IMG_6896 by terrasmak, on Flickr
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #36
modernblueWK

Dude enough about the 350z! You are the king of 350z turbo kingdom! Now lets move on!
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #37
TheDemon
2006 WK 

I know a lot about Zs terrasmak, and I just backspaced over my comment about that wing because I don't want to get banned for being overly disrespectful to you. A fully built and single turbo 350z good for 450 rwhp can be done for under 9K if you know where to go and don't get ripped off. You can get a cheap turbo job done on a 350z for under 4K on stock internals with about 380 rwhp and it's not reliable at all at that point, but there are plenty of people who run that set up for years and don't have any problems. I never claimed the Z is the most cost effective vehicle to modify if you're going purely for speed, it's way too expensive and heavy of a starting point, plus the VQ engine is finicky and inconsistent when modified, a real tuning nightmare.

Unread 11-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #38
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Not to mention nissan sucks eitherway you look at it.
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #39
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Not to mention nissan sucks eitherway you look at it.
Amen
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #40
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon View Post
I know a lot about Zs terrasmak, and I just backspaced over my comment about that wing because I don't want to get banned for being overly disrespectful to you. A fully built and single turbo 350z good for 450 rwhp can be done for under 9K if you know where to go and don't get ripped off. You can get a cheap turbo job done on a 350z for under 4K on stock internals with about 380 rwhp and it's not reliable at all at that point, but there are plenty of people who run that set up for years and don't have any problems. I never claimed the Z is the most cost effective vehicle to modify if you're going purely for speed, it's way too expensive and heavy of a starting point, plus the VQ engine is finicky and inconsistent when modified, a real tuning nightmare.

$9k LOL for 450hp , wont last long. I doubt i would even get 5 laps before it came apart. These cars you really have to pay if you want to play. Some of the builds your talking about can be done, but as a daily driver and you get on the throttle hard for a 1/4 mile at a time, nothing reliable like the car is in stock form. Nothing that will hold up fo constant abuse.

BTW, the wing, what is wrong with it? Its a highly functional, quality piece, not some $500 piece of ebay crap.

On the subject of eng swaps, really not practical for a DD unless you have the knowledge and time to do it yourself. If your paying a shop, you may as well sell the vehicle and buy something else.
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #41
modernblueWK

I would drive a Z if it were stock, no wing, and if the paint on the bumpers matched the rest of the car. These days i like reliable, good looking vehicles. Fast is fun but getting there reliably with a little extra speed and power is good enough.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #42
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
I would drive a Z if it were stock, no wing, and if the paint on the bumpers matched the rest of the car. These days i like reliable, good looking vehicles. Fast is fun but getting there reliably with a little extra speed and power is good enough.
I completely agree, for a street car. Pretty is just not my main priority right now, only got the front end back together a week ago. Miss an event because its not painted, or go out and play. I like to play.
Unread 11-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #43
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Everything you said is true for the most part terrasmak, minus you questioning my integrity and your opinions on a solid fixed price. Of course there is pretty much no way of getting around the price of a quality turbo and components, and also quality internals, but the labor and tuning is where a lot of people get screwed. Going custom on all the other stuff if you know/find the right people is the best route (even better if you can do some of the work yourself.) You don't have to throw down money for one of the main complete kits most people are running. You can frankenstein a different turbo if you know the right people to help out with tuning and you're willing to deal with the headache of trying to fit a turbo system in the engine bay (if that's where you're putting it.) Shopping around is the best route when you're paying to have anything done, but not all areas have a wide selection if you're looking to get something special done. When I had my 350z, I lived in southern CA which is the heart of the aftermarket industry, you didn't have to look far to find a shop that had experience doing turbo jobs on Zs, and the fluctuation in prices from shop to shop was absurd. I decided not to go turbo on my 350z since it was my DD and I was already happy with the level of power I had with every bolt-on possible. I beat the crap out of that car bouncing off the rev limiter drifting around, I knew that once I went FI, I wouldn't feel safe abusing it.

As for the wing, it's a bit too tokyo drift for my taste. It's obvious you've built your car for speed and it's functional, but I would have gone with something else. I like the Nismo 350z and GT-R style of wings better on Zs.
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #44
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Cost money to go fast. How much money do you want to spend?
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #45
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Quote:
Cost money to go fast. How much money do you want to spend?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.