CRD Engine Swap? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Engine Swap?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

It still 100% functional as a truck. The only thing that is not stock is the engine and tranny. The rear is stock except for an aftermarket posi. I haul around 500-600 lbs of work material daily and pull trailers on occasion. That is the great thing about a turbo, it acts 100% stock until you want it to act differently. Believe it or not I drive like grandpa 99% of the time. As the truck got faster, I got more paranoid about the police. The GC is taking place of the truck, since I can carry most of what I need in it for work. The brakes will get an upgrade soon and I will lower it a couple of inches. It already has larger sway bars and better shocks. With slicks the calculator shows 0-60 in 2.41 seconds. On street tires it is probably about 6.5 seconds for obvious reasons. About the only time I get on the gas is on open back roads or the hwy. 100 mph comes up in the blink of an eye. On surface streets getting on it results in a smoke show. Funny how you slow down as you get older. I remember going 20-40 over the speed limit everywhere I went when I was younger. Now I poke around at 5-8 over most of the time.

Unread 11-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
modernblueWK

Why bring the el camino into this? Its not a truck? Since when?
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
TheDemon
2006 WK 

The El Camino is classified as a coupe utility vehicle. I was making a point, just because it has a bed in the back doesn't make it a pick up truck necessarily. People will argue over what the exact classification of a vehicle is forever (like what the exact definition of a sports car is. Some say a true sports car can only seat two, which would make the Porsche 911 Turbo not a sports car.)
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver
It still 100% functional as a truck
It's still 100% functional as a street truck. 99% of trucks sold around the world have a classic truck suspension with some clearance and all terrain tires because there's an obvious demand for it. My sister drives a F-150 Harley Davidson Edition and I give her endless crap for it, so don't feel like you're special
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #20
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon View Post
It's still 100% functional as a street truck. 99% of trucks sold around the world have a classic truck suspension with some clearance and all terrain tires because there's an obvious demand for it. My sister drives a F-150 Harley Davidson Edition and I give her endless crap for it, so don't feel like you're special
Last time I checked a truck was designed to haul loads and tow trailers, not off road. If I wanted to take it 4 wheeling I would have got a truck with 4 wheel drive. Truck was sold new with LT tires for the purpose of carrying extra weight. It still has LT tires on it.
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
Richard338
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverado View Post
Last time I checked a truck was designed to haul loads and tow trailers, not off road. If I wanted to take it 4 wheeling I would have got a truck with 4 wheel drive. Truck was sold new with LT tires for the purpose of carrying extra weight. It still has LT tires on it.
Wow, did this thread get hijacked or what!!?? As far as the crd swap goes I agree that you would need a donor GC, otherwise you're looking at big bucks for parts. I was hoping for a diesel Commander (to me the end-all). Oh well, we'll see what, if anything, comes of the Grand Wagoneer.
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #22
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

If you didn't tow a hopped up VW TDI would be awesome in one of these for fuel economy and totally do able with the rotary injection pump motors. Especially if you were doing a 2wd.
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilverado

Not all pick up trucks come with a tow package, but almost all the volume of trucks sold around the world come with a suspension with a little bit more ground clearance than other vehicles. Most trucks do not come with a suspension that has purely been optimized for the street. Classic supply and demand, companies would be designing trucks with a street suspension if there was more of a demand for it. Currently, those trucks are a very small niche in the market probably not even making up 1% of the total volume of pick up trucks sold around the world.

Let me reiterate, your truck is bad ***, but it is not what the general truck owner needs out of a pick up truck. There is no arguing with that fact unless you can produce some sales numbers that prove otherwise.
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard338
Wow, did this thread get hijacked or what!!?? As far as the crd swap goes I agree that you would need a donor GC, otherwise you're looking at big bucks for parts. I was hoping for a diesel Commander (to me the end-all). Oh well, we'll see what, if anything, comes of the Grand Wagoneer.
Lol, I'm still kinda hoping someone will pop in here and say "I did it."
Unread 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon

Not all pick up trucks come with a tow package, but almost all the volume of trucks sold around the world come with a suspension with a little bit more ground clearance than other vehicles. Most trucks do not come with a suspension that has purely been optimized for the street. Classic supply and demand, companies would be designing trucks with a street suspension if there was more of a demand for it. Currently, those trucks are a very small niche in the market probably not even making up 1% of the total volume of pick up trucks sold around the world.

Let me reiterate, your truck is bad ***, but it is not what the general truck owner needs out of a pick up truck. There is no arguing with that fact unless you can produce some sales numbers that prove otherwise.
A 800hp 350z isn't what the general car owner needs out of a z. People modify cars to get more out of them then the general public needs, if the general public needed it, it would come from the factory. The American V8 is far from dead, a 600hp factory corvette that still gets mid 20mpg and runs a sub 11sec quarter mile is amazing. The fact that the next goal for the gt500 is a factory 1000hp car is outrageous. If you want to see a monster silverado Google up a guy by the name Parish... his truck is/was a beast, haven't talked to him in a few years and I'm not to sure if he still has the truck or not. And just a quick comment on the V8 350Z, a 6.0l iron block with low compression pistons, stock crank, stock heads, with a TC78 turbo will handle 1000hp all day long, I've only seen a hand full of Z's that can produce over 700, and one of those was built by SGP performance for the prince of Abu Dhabi, it was actually the first Turbo 350 and made around 750. Not offend Z owners but I think the 350/370 is a disgrace to the Z name.
Its overpriced, overwieght, and underpowered.

Btw good luck on the CRD swap.
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
TheDemon
2006 WK 

When did I ever say a 800 hp 350z is what the general owner needs out of a Z?? Actually, if it came with a 800 hp engine, most owners would be ecstatic since the reason most people buy that car is because it's quick. Car companies are largely fazing out V8s in their plans for then next 10 years, largely because of regulations on fuel economy and emissions, but also because turbo technology has come a long ways. Modern turbo set ups can produce twice the power on half the amount of cylinders and do it reliably and more efficiently. There will always be V8s around in niche cars (muscle cars and supercars,) but that's largely because of the way they sound. You can make a much faster car without the extra weight, it wouldn't sound the same and it wouldn't be as fun to drive (too artificial and robotic, disconnected from the driver.)

You're entitled to your opinion about Zs, but I wouldn't call them overweight unless it's fully loaded. My Z weighed 3300 lbs the day I bought it and it produced 300 hp, it never felt overweight in the least, I seriously question whether you've drove one with that opinion. I've personally known 3 different guys who had 650 rwhp reliably installed and daily driven in their 350zs, none of them were particularly rich, they just dumped all their money into their cars. I agree with you, the twin turbo mid-90s Zs were amazing (I owned one of those also.)

FYI, I would never do a CRD swap, I was curious whether anyone had. Thanks for the good luck wish, sounded a little sarcastic to me
Unread 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #27
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon View Post
When did I ever say a 800 hp 350z is what the general owner needs out of a Z?? Actually, if it came with a 800 hp engine, most owners would be ecstatic since the reason most people buy that car is because it's quick. Car companies are largely fazing out V8s in their plans for then next 10 years, largely because of regulations on fuel economy and emissions, but also because turbo technology has come a long ways. Modern turbo set ups can produce twice the power on half the amount of cylinders and do it reliably and more efficiently. There will always be V8s around in niche cars (muscle cars and supercars,) but that's largely because of the way they sound. You can make a much faster car without the extra weight, it wouldn't sound the same and it wouldn't be as fun to drive (too artificial and robotic, disconnected from the driver.)

You're entitled to your opinion about Zs, but I wouldn't call them overweight unless it's fully loaded. My Z weighed 3300 lbs the day I bought it and it produced 300 hp, it never felt overweight in the least, I seriously question whether you've drove one with that opinion. I've personally known 3 different guys who had 650 rwhp reliably installed and daily driven in their 350zs, none of them were particularly rich, they just dumped all their money into their cars. I agree with you, the twin turbo mid-90s Zs were amazing (I owned one of those also.)

FYI, I would never do a CRD swap, I was curious whether anyone had. Thanks for the good luck wish, sounded a little sarcastic to me

The luck definitley wasn't sarcastic, ive been in your shoes before, I had a '03 Sentra Spec V, at 1500 mile the motor seized up due to low oil. this was about 3 month after i bought it brand new from a dealership. The dealership refused to warrenty it claiming foul play. I sucked it up hired a lawyer and fought, but in the mean time i need to fix the car out of pocket. I got the same type replys when i asked around on a sentra forum about swapping the altima v6 into the sentra, to expensive, not worth it, etc... i teamed up with a shop called forced induction racing and SGP performance and under $5000 and some of Kyles wiring madness we successfully completed the swap. anythings possible even with OBDii.

Ive driven plenty of 350's, from bone stock to the turbo one for the princ eo f abu dhabi. stock they just arent impressive, when compared to the 300's
Unread 11-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #28
05WKinPA
2005 WK 

You guys know this is a JEEP FORUM, right?????
Unread 11-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #29
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WKinPA View Post
You guys know this is a JEEP FORUM, right?????
Crap....I thought i was in the wrong place
Unread 11-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally quoted by ca07wk
The luck definitely wasn't sarcastic
I'm truly sorry if I mistook your sincerity for sarcasm. Thank you, but I thought I made it clear in the original post that my engine is fine, I don't plan on swapping for anything in the foreseeable future, and I probably wouldn't go with a stock engine if going to the trouble of a swap. With four engines offered in the WK, I didn't think it was out of the question that at least a few guys have had an engine failure and gone with one of the other three.

Sorry to hear about your experience with that dealership, that's a shame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.