CRD Engine Swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Engine Swap?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 11-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
TheDemon
2006 WK 

CRD Engine Swap?

Just curious if anyone has swapped a CRD engine for any of the other three engines in a WK after an engine failure?? My Hemi runs super strong, can't see it failing anytime in the near future but was curious if swapping out the motor for a CRD was possible/feasible? (emissions issues aside since that would largely depend on what state you live in)

Unread 11-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

With all the work that would needed to be done it would be cheaper to buy a WK CRD and just drive since you'd need a entire CRD for the wiring and all the samll parts to swap into your gas WK.
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
modernblueWK

Easy Engine swaps kinda died with OBDII and can buss systems. The last v6 to v8 easy swap that i know of was in the early 2000's late 90's. After that S*** got complicated.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Very complicated motor to transplant. Anythings possible but the only way to do it with out a nightmare would be if you had a complete wreaked donor vehicle. But odds are as rare as these are you'll never find one.
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
TheDemon
2006 WK 

I thought as much, but odds are someone out there has done this. Usually there's at least one odd ball on these forums who's done the ridiculous; who's said damn the feasibility. There's a guy on my 350z forum who did a V8 swap at a cost of close to $20,000, even though any kid who's gone turbo for $3-$7K will blow the doors off his Z in a straight line and around a turn. He completely messed up his weight distribution also, but that didn't stop him.
Unread 11-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon View Post
I thought as much, but odds are someone out there has done this. Usually there's at least one odd ball on these forums who's done the ridiculous; who's said damn the feasibility. There's a guy on my 350z forum who did a V8 swap at a cost of close to $20,000, even though any kid who's gone turbo for $3-$7K will blow the doors off his Z in a straight line and around a turn. He completely messed up his weight distribution also, but that didn't stop him.
If the kid runs into a 350Z with an ls1 swap with a turbo, he will think his turboed Z is not running right. And the ls1 is an all aluminum v8. So they are usually lighter than the engines they replace.
Unread 11-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilverado

If the kid runs into a 350Z with an ls1 swap with a turbo, he will think his turboed Z is not running right. And the ls1 is an all aluminum v8. So they are usually lighter than the engines they replace.

The VQ35DE (350z engine the year I'm taking about) is an aluminum block V6, I doubt an LS1 with two extra cylinders weighs less. Those turbo kits put down 600 hp (more or less depending on what you want) now of course a V8 is capable of more power but it's pointless at that point, good luck finding tires that are sticky enough, the conservative turbo kits make 400 hp to the wheels which is enough to make the first two gears fairly useless at anything less then a hair of throttle in a RWD set up. The case I'm talking about definitely messed up his weight distribution big time, it was extremely front heavy. V8s are dead. Nothing beats the sound of a big American NA V8 growling around in my opinion, but it's archaic at this point with modern turbos if you're purely going for speed.
Unread 11-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
The VQ35DE (350z engine the year I'm taking about) is an aluminum block V6, I doubt an LS1 with two extra cylinders weighs less. Those turbo kits put down 600 hp (more or less depending on what you want) now of course a V8 is capable of more power but it's pointless at that point, good luck finding tires that are sticky enough, the conservative turbo kits make 400 hp to the wheels which is enough to make the first two gears fairly useless at anything less then a hair of throttle in a RWD set up. The case I'm talking about definitely messed up his weight distribution big time, it was extremely front heavy. V8s are dead. Nothing beats the sound of a big American NA V8 growling around in my opinion, but it's archaic at this point with modern turbos if you're purely going for speed.
The nissan engine is a great motor, but you may want to have a look at what the archaic v8s are doing. The ls series of engines make in the 400 neighborhood bone stock. My 5000 lb truck runs 10s in the 1/4 mile, is used as a daily driver to work out of and gets 16-22 mpg. On the street tune @ 7.5 psi it makes 600 rwhp, if that is not enough to put a turbo z in its place a simple twist of the knob would do the trick.
Unread 11-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
The swap you want would most likely double that price and most likely illegal in most states anyways and 3/4 of it would be labor.You'd have to swap virtually all the wiring from a complete CRD to your gas WK just to make it work.You most could buy 2 WK CRD's for the price of this swap.
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally quoted by quicksilverado:
The nissan engine is a great motor, but you may want to have a look at what the archaic v8s are doing. The ls series of engines make in the 400 neighborhood bone stock. My 5000 lb truck runs 10s in the 1/4 mile, is used as a daily driver to work out of and gets 16-22 mpg. On the street tune @ 7.5 psi it makes 600 rwhp, if that is not enough to put a turbo z in its place a simple twist of the knob would do the trick.
I'm a car guy man, I keep up with what all modern engines worth while are doing. I've seen a twin-turbo Z put down a mid 8 sec 1/4 mile when it was 85 degrees out, and that Z was putting down 900 rwhp. No offense, but I don't believe for a second your 5000 lb truck runs a 10 sec 1/4 miles on anything less than slicks and a whole lot more than anything close to a reliable set up. And it's not really a truck at that point in most peoples opinion, sure you can throw junk in the back, but you sure as hell can't take it offroad on an easy trail with tires and a suspension set up to produce a 10 sec 1/4 mile.

Don't shoot the messenger, V8s are dying. I don't design cars (if I did, the new Dodge Dart wouldn't be the little POS rental car it is), I just drool over and drive them. It's all about power to weight ratio. Other than all the ridiculous regulations coming into play over recent years, car manufacturers are shying away from V8s and 6-cylinder engines and using turbo four and six-cylinder engines for good reason. You can produce the same power at a lesser weight and make it damn near as reliable with modern technology.

Unread 11-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
I'm a car guy man, I keep up with what all modern engines worth while are doing. I've seen a twin-turbo Z put down a mid 8 sec 1/4 mile when it was 85 degrees out, and that Z was putting down 900 rwhp. No offense, but I don't believe for a second your 5000 lb truck runs a 10 sec 1/4 miles on anything less than slicks and a whole lot more than anything close to a reliable set up. And it's not really a truck at that point in most peoples opinion, sure you can throw junk in the back, but you sure as hell can't take it offroad on an easy trail with tires and a suspension set up to produce a 10 sec 1/4 mile.

Don't shoot the messenger, V8s are dying. I don't design cars (if I did, the new Dodge Dart wouldn't be the little POS rental car it is), I just drool over and drive them. It's all about power to weight ratio. Other than all the ridiculous regulations coming into play over recent years, car manufacturers are shying away from V8s and 6-cylinder engines and using turbo four and six-cylinder engines for good reason. You can produce the same power at a lesser weight and make it damn near as reliable with modern technology.

Check out performance trucks.net. I go by Quicksilverado over there also. There are a few daily driven trucks on there running 10s. Slicks and stock suspension daily driver. I will see if I can find a video. Truck is completely reliable. Have towed a friends 5000lb work trailer on several occasions. Current engine is approaching 110k miles. It will come out in the next few months for a fresh one. You are right, I don't take it off road. It is not an off road truck.
Unread 11-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Here a the link I posted after running the 10 sec pass. Video link does not work because the host site is no longer around. I'll see if I can get it up on another site.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-today-430239/
Unread 11-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #13
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Here a the link I posted after running the 10 sec pass. Video link does not work because the host site is no longer around. I'll see if I can get it up on another site.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-today-430239/
You tube man.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Here is a link to an 11 sec pass on low boost, which is the street tune. The 10 second pass is with 12.5 psi. The street tune is simply to keep the power down and is safer for the street. With the extra boost the truck will spin the tires at 60 mph, not fun if you simply want to get around someone. The truck sounds and drives like a bone stock truck with exhaust until you go wot, then everything changes quickly.

http://cablebandit3.smugmug.com/Othe...2965&k=8prWkHV

If you look through the videos, there is one of my friends 9 second daily driver turbo TA and also a video of another friends 9 second Supra on Pass Time. The other videos are of one of my other hobbies, PPG or powered paragliding.
Unread 11-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilverado

Here is a link to an 11 sec pass on low boost, which is the street tune. The 10 second pass is with 12.5 psi. The street tune is simply to keep the power down and is safer for the street. With the extra boost the truck will spin the tires at 60 mph, not fun if you simply want to get around someone.
Sweet rig man, it would sure blow the doors off my old Z. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your ride, it's just not really what most people want out of a truck. If the only feature left on it that make's it a pick up truck is the bed in the back, an El Camino is not a pick up truck. If you put the same amount of money and effort into a car half the weight, you'd yield much better results if you're purely just going for speed. It's not what I want out of a truck, but who cares what I think, to each their own. I'd call your truck more of a hot rod with your current set up, and a bad *** one at that

Another big problem with making a heavy daily driver vehicle quick is that most people do not put the same effort into the brakes. Even if you do get amazing brakes, there's no overcoming the weight if you need to swerve around some idiot who's pulled out in front of you. I know a lot of people claim they never speed in their quick DD and save it for the track, but most people who build up their ride like this have a bit of fun out on public roads at least every once in awhile. My old 06 350z 6MT pulled off a 4.9 0-60 stock with stickier all season tires and an aftermarket LSD, which is more than enough to take 99% of traffic on the roads. I made more than one of my friends practically poo their pants taking turns at 40+ mph back when I had more horsepower than brains and no regard for anyones safety around me or mine own.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.