CRD check engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD check engine light

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

CRD check engine light

The check engine light has come on in my 2007 CRD. I cleared the codes a couple times and i've narrowed it down to two culprits.
P0672 - cylinder 2 glow plug circuit
U1001 - CAN B bus (-) circuit

The glow plug one is no big deal, I get that. Would this code make the check engine light come on? I was under the impression it wouldn't.
Does anybody know what the CAN B Bus deal is or how to fix it?

I'm really hoping somebody says the best way to fix it is to go ahead and get the GDE hot tune. So please keep that in mind when responding.

Thanks in advance

Unread 08-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Chucknav
2007 WK 

I have had glow plug failures twice in three years of ownership. The check engine light came on and remained illuminated because of the glow plug problem both times. After replacing the glow plugs and clearing the fault codes, the check engine light went away.

I have never heard of "CAN B bus (-) circuit", so I can't help with that.
GDE Eco-Tune
Chucknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucknav
I have had glow plug failures twice in three years of ownership. The check engine light came on and remained illuminated because of the glow plug problem both times. After replacing the glow plugs and clearing the fault codes, the check engine light went away.

I have never heard of "CAN B bus (-) circuit", so I can't help with that.
Thanks for the info. Is changing the glow plugs pretty straight forward?
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
suzieque
2008 WK 

darn, cannot find it now, but seems to me the instructions were on this site. The important tip was to warm up the engine and then there was some trick to removing the wire connector...
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
zc911

it's super easy, i just did 2 of them
There is a big glow plug post, and you will find a post showing what number each glow plug is.
I did them after a highway drive so the motor was nice and toasty. You need an 8mm socket and an extension.
Take of the enigne cover, peel off the foam covers and you'll find the connectors on the glow plugs. There is no trick, just pop them off.
Remove old, install new.

Here is a pic so you can see what the connector looks like. I did them at night by the light of my iphone so not the best pic lol
img_2151.jpg

zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

the CAN B bus is part of the data network in the car - one of the items that run on it is your radio. The U1001 code means the ECM is not getting valid data from that segment of the car network. It could be related to the glow plug failure, or not. IIRC the glow plug circuit is monitored on the CAN A bus. You'll need to address the glow plug error first and don't put it off (this is the voice of experience talking)

BTW the Hot Tune is NOT the way to fix this issue but once you have this out of the way, get the tune Fer Shure

this post may be of some help

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c.../#post11158239

Last edited by Zlartibartfast; 08-20-2013 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: one more thing to add
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, the can B explanation sounds right. One of the other codes I keep getting is something about losing satellite radio signal. Every now and then I lose the 'data' on my radio display when listening to satellite radio. If this is the only side effect I can live with it.

I plan on changing the glow plug Friday. I'm sure this info is out there and I WILL search but since I'm already typing here... Are these a common find at the local part store or should/need I go to the dealership to get the OEM part?
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Chucknav
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cherokeeclass View Post
Thanks, the can B explanation sounds right. One of the other codes I keep getting is something about losing satellite radio signal. Every now and then I lose the 'data' on my radio display when listening to satellite radio. If this is the only side effect I can live with it.

I plan on changing the glow plug Friday. I'm sure this info is out there and I WILL search but since I'm already typing here... Are these a common find at the local part store or should/need I go to the dealership to get the OEM part?
They are not common around here. I found mine on ebay for $18.79 and free shipping. Just search for Bosch 80050. The vendor's name on ebay was Bestqualityautopart. He shipped fast and it was the correct part...two thumbs up.
GDE Eco-Tune
Chucknav is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.