CRD Break-In Period - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Break-In Period

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
WKJPSTR
2008 WK 

CRD Break-In Period

Greetings. I am new to the WK world, but have currently have a 2006 VW TDI. I have not been able to find much guidance beyond the owner's manual about break-in periods. Is the following advice for the TDI applicable to the CRD:

Rules that apply for the life of the car
-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.

First 1,000 miles
Keep rpms below 3,800. Avoid steady rpms. Frequent firm application of power is strongly recomended up to 3,800 rpm. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.

1,000-5,000 miles
Use the full 5,100 rpm power range. Avoid steady rpms. Avoid the use of cruise control. Frequent application of full throttle is recomended to help seat the rings. City driving is ideal for breaking in a TDI due to frequent stops and acceleration. Once you get to 5,000 miles change the oil and perform your first service per the manual

5,000-10,000 miles
Use of the cruise control is ok at this point since most of the initial break in has occured. Continue to use occasional full throttle accelerations to continue to seat the rings. You will notice the engine become slightly louder during this phase due to less friction from the engine breaking in (normal for a diesel to become louder under lighter loads). If your going on a long drive and you are using the cruise, every so often step on the peddle to accelerate up about 20 mph then coast back down to your preset speed.

10,000-60,000
This is when the rest of the break in occurs. The engine from the factory will check out with about 475psi of compression pressure out of the crate. It will take at least 60,000 miles to reach the peak pressure of 550psi. For the most part once you get to 10,000 miles your compression will be around 510psi meaning that most of the break in has occured.

60,000-the life of the motor
The engines I have seen so far using a 5w40 oil are maintaining 550 psi of compression pressure with over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The owners have followed the advice above and do not have any oil consumption issues. This also means that with the higher pressure the engine is more efficient returning optimal fuel economy and reduced smoke output.

Thanks for any insights.

WKJPSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
chadhargis
2008 WK 

60,000 mile break in! Wow!!

I've always been a big fan of this guys techniques for all engines:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Works like a charm for motorcycles.

Might want to use some common sense with the oil change interval and synthetic oil (since I don't think any dino oil meets the spec).
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

I have always heard to use it hard and not baby it. I use interstate on ramps to get on it while getting up to speed. I surprise quite a few people on how fast it gets up to speed being a diesel. This is not great for fuel mileage but is fun.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
chadhargis
2008 WK 

Fuel mileage be damned.....I love nailing the throttle and feeling that torque.
Unread 06-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Read the owners manual for the CRD...none of the stuff you mention is in the owners manual. Page 68 specifically says "A long break in period is not required for the engine in your new vehicle."

5000 miles until you can use the cruise control is funny.....is the info mentioned by the OP actually in the VW manual?
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
Fuel mileage be damned.....I love nailing the throttle and feeling that torque.
.is what my wife does when I hit the torque button...
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
chadhargis
2008 WK 

Mine too.

Thank goodness my 4yo daughter shouts with glee, "Go faster daddy!". Ah...I've trained her well!
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Thank goodness my 4yo daughter shouts with glee, "Go faster daddy!".
You've raised that kid right for today, but that's gonna come back and bite you in 12 years.
Unread 06-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
chadhargis
2008 WK 

Oh no....no it won't.

When she turns 16, Daddy and her will be attending the Skip Barber school at Road Atlanta.

http://www.skipbarber.com/driving_sc...ng_school.aspx
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I always begged my dad to drive through puddles and he usually obliged. I still like to drive through puddles.

Quote:
Mine too.

Thank goodness my 4yo daughter shouts with glee, "Go faster daddy!". Ah...I've trained her well!
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #11
Mish_Mish

2008 WK 

I put 21K on my CRD and it still was blowing some oil through CCV, however compared to brand new it was day and night. After some miles engine became much easier to spin, about 15% more economical and quicker to rev up.
I still have it sitting in my yard, until car hauler is gonna show up...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.