CRD Bad swirl motor symptoms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Bad swirl motor symptoms?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Bzwth
2008 WK 

CRD Bad swirl motor symptoms?

What kind of problems/symptoms occur when a swirl motor goes bad?

Bzwth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
rsq41
2007 WK 

If I recall (my mind is trying to block it), the jeep went into limp mode. They told me I needed a new computer... I told them it was the swirl motor based on what I had read here.. Waited days for computer to arrive... New computer did not help.. Then they fixed the swirl motor and all has been good since...

They had done up the turbo intake seal just a few weeks prior to all this...
Unread 12-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
4running

Is there alot of oil on the outside of your swirl motor?
4running is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Bzwth
2008 WK 

I have the new intake tube now so oil doesn't drip oil down onto it anymore. But down around the area where the swirl motor is, it has almost 30K miles of burnt, caked on old oil residue/carbon still down there from when it did. I'm thinking it could go out or start acting up at any time. Just wanting to know what to watch for.
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzwth View Post
I have the new intake tube now so oil doesn't drip oil down onto it anymore. But down around the area where the swirl motor is, it has almost 30K miles of burnt, caked on old oil residue/carbon still down there from when it did. I'm thinking it could go out or start acting up at any time. Just wanting to know what to watch for.
start by searching in this forum for the word "swirl" and then sit back and read.

I've read a couple threads now about guys that pressure washed their CRD's engine and reported no ill side effects, mostly after oil leaks. I've briefly and carefully washed the area below my turbo tube just to try and wash away the residue that was on before I bought my Racor and so far I've not had a problem, maybe you want to try and do some washing like that too.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
zedtechus
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzwth View Post
Hi Bzwth,

I totally agree with you, I changed my intake tube at around 31k miles too under the warranty... but like you I'm really worry that the swirl motor could go out anytime and my standard warranty will expire in just about 2 months
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

You could always try some brake cleaner....I have done that on several occasions. I spray some under the turbo and down in the V...hopefully it cleans up some of the oil that has leaked in the past. I changed out to the new seal about 30,000 miles ago and I have not seen any oil leaks since.
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Bzwth
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedtechus View Post
Hi Bzwth,

I totally agree with you, I changed my intake tube at around 31k miles too under the warranty... but like you I'm really worry that the swirl motor could go out anytime and my standard warranty will expire in just about 2 months
My warranty goes out in 2 months as well. If it is going to go out, I'd like to know now.

I'll search swirl and read up on it a bit and maybe try some cleaning as well and see how that goes.
Unread 12-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
Burner
2008 WK 

Ok newb question to for the CRD motor. What does this swirl motor do?
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
fred99x
2008 WK 

Function of the swirl motor: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...xperts-981037/
fred99x is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.