CRD 2008 Swirl Valve $8,000 Repair Quote - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD 2008 Swirl Valve $8,000 Repair Quote

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
We have an 2008 Grand Cherokee with the now infamous CRD engine with 111,000 klms or 69,000 miles. That dammed light started to flash so we brought it in to Unique Chrysler in Burlington, Ontario right away. We purchased the Jeep from them with about 30,000 Klms. We now get a quote to have the swirl valves fixed will be $8,000. We have changed the oil every 10K for $280 a pop and have done all the required maintenance with them. It's the wife’s car.

I have read allot of post/articles and am amazed at this design fault. Even BMW has the same design with the swirl flaps falling off into the manifold/engine and causing catastrophic damage.

So just a couple of quick questions:

1) Is this $8,000 price in the right ball park?
2) What garage is the best in the area to make this repair and to prevent further similar repairs (catch can)? any recommendations?
3) We have a quote for $380 to by-pass, is this OK
4) I called Chrysler Canada Customer Relations and gave them a piece of my mind at 1 800 465 2001 is there any other avenues that we can go after?
You can just buy a new engine for 8k

xrunndonex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #32
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Trouble is, the new engine would still have that @#$@#$ swirl motor.
It is so easy to deal with it.

Do the resistor trick, and then when you are ready for better performance, do the ECO Tune.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #33
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex
Not in Canada.
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #34
revitup

OK, finally, finally, after back and forth, and many in and outs with the wife, we fianally descided, just odered the ECO Tune with DPF delete. So we will pick up the car from the dealer tomorrow and limp around for awhile, I'll remove the DPF and take it to a muffler shop and have them fabricate the replacement piece. By that time I should have the Flash Tool (will order Fedex ASAP delivery) and then do the programing and then "bob's your uncle"....time to revitup.

I'll keep you posted on my impressions with these mods...as well as my wifes..since it's her car anyways. I ride a 2011 1200cc BMW GSA.

Thank's agian for all the input. Jeeeez can you think if you did not have this information and went ahead with the $5-6-7 Canadian$ charge...and then six months latter it happens again!
revitup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #35
GCDIESEL4ME

And really why are you worried about voiding the warrantee when it ain't worth $#!& anyways. They will probably jerk you around the next time too!

I am just waiting to sell one of my vehicles so that I can buy a Jeep diesel, I already know about the Swirl motor and GDE tune so That will be the first thing I do on mine

But I do struggle with buying warrantee when I get it to protect myself but also fear of getting shafted if and when the time comes when it is needed.

Maybe save the $3500. and it can be used IF the time comes, Just hope it does not exceed that $3500.
GCDIESEL4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #36
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post

Trouble is, the new engine would still have that @#$@#$ swirl motor.
It is so easy to deal with it.

Do the resistor trick, and then when you are ready for better performance, do the ECO Tune.
Unno wtf a swirle is
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post

Unno wtf a swirle is
I could buy 5 zjs for 8k :0
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #38
revitup

If the time comes, you must provide/fax to them:

1) all your service records, will take a couple days (they did not receive them) many phone calls, talk to a machine press 2 to continue:

2) Have ensured that all previous work was done at an approved shop/mechanic by them, keep talking to a voice mail:

3) then you must take pics of the vehicle including tires etc, day 3.

4) now 4 days latter you may proceed at your own risk with no garranty

5) now takes pics of all the removed parts and say what caused the part to fail and if there is any "sludge build-up" you have to pay?

and thats just what i know..it's all just a scam. They are pros. They only make money by not paying you.

Save your money, ask them lots of questions and tell them flat out it's just a scam. Dealers are different, they know you. You bought the car from them, but after market companies from Quebec for-get-it-period.
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #39
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
OK, finally, finally, after back and forth, and many in and outs with the wife, we fianally descided, just odered the ECO Tune with DPF delete. So we will pick up the car from the dealer tomorrow and limp around for awhile, I'll remove the DPF and take it to a muffler shop and have them fabricate the replacement piece. By that time I should have the Flash Tool (will order Fedex ASAP delivery) and then do the programing and then "bob's your uncle"....time to revitup.

I'll keep you posted on my impressions with these mods...as well as my wifes..since it's her car anyways. I ride a 2011 1200cc BMW GSA.

Thank's agian for all the input. Jeeeez can you think if you did not have this information and went ahead with the $5-6-7 Canadian$ charge...and then six months latter it happens again!
GDE will send you both tunes, one with DPF and one without. You can put the DPF one in until you get a delete pipe. Note that most muffler shops will NOT remove your DPF as it is illegal. However if you remove it a bring them the pipe they will make a replica. Tandanzig on this forum is selling delete pipes. Well worth it to pay him for a quality pipe that fits IMO.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #40
revitup

Great I'll send Tandanzig a PM.
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #41
torqrise
2007 WK 

I installed Tandanzig's delete pip almost a year ago and can vouch for the level of quality and ease of installation. Mine was an exact fit with perfrect sealing. It took about 2 hours sonce I was on my back. The stainless steel delta pressure lines will need to removed - they will rattle if you don't. The only difficulty I had was gaining access to one of the stud nuts on the CAT.

Something to keep in mind:
Not sure about your emission's testing requirements, you should realize that you will not pass either a measured or visual inspection.

Overall, I've been very happy with both the tune and the delete.
torqrise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #42
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

PM Sent. GDE does make a great tune. I run it on my wife's vehicle and never have any issues because if I did I would hear about it.
Guys, thanks for the kind words.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #43
zc911

i have tnadanzig's DPF delete pipe as well, really good quality piece
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #44
revitup

ECO Tune just odered and Keith just confirmed shipment. Right on now to get the car home from the shop and see how hard it will be to get the DPF off,
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #45
jaje
2007 WK 

Before starting - generously SPRAY the bolts now with some kind of penetrating oil to loosen up the nuts holding it on (it takes time and lots of vibration to get the oil to soak in). They will be rusted to a degree. WD-40 or PB Blaster might work but I use Aerokroil which is an industrial strength penetrating oil. Chirpz has a great DIY writeup on DPF removal as well.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.