CRD 2008 Swirl Valve $8,000 Repair Quote - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD 2008 Swirl Valve $8,000 Repair Quote

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
revitup

CRD 2008 Swirl Valve $8,000 Repair Quote

We have an 2008 Grand Cherokee with the now infamous CRD engine with 111,000 klms or 69,000 miles. That dammed light started to flash so we brought it in to Unique Chrysler in Burlington, Ontario right away. We purchased the Jeep from them with about 30,000 Klms. We now get a quote to have the swirl valves fixed will be $8,000. We have changed the oil every 10K for $280 a pop and have done all the required maintenance with them. It's the wife’s car.

I have read allot of post/articles and am amazed at this design fault. Even BMW has the same design with the swirl flaps falling off into the manifold/engine and causing catastrophic damage.

So just a couple of quick questions:

1) Is this $8,000 price in the right ball park?
2) What garage is the best in the area to make this repair and to prevent further similar repairs (catch can)? any recommendations?
3) We have a quote for $380 to by-pass, is this OK
4) I called Chrysler Canada Customer Relations and gave them a piece of my mind at 1 800 465 2001 is there any other avenues that we can go after?

revitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
ryann04
2008 WK 

Purchase a GDE (Green Diesel Engineering) ECO Tune. This will eliminate the Swirl Motor Valves and bypass it, while giving your vehicle a Eco-Tune (good for fuel economy) also helps with extra horsepower and torque for towing and other stuff. This way you don't have to replace the swirl-motor-valves. I have this tune on my personal vehicle, and love it.
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
ryann04
2008 WK 

Green Diesel Enginerring (Eco-Tune):

http://www.greendieselengineering.co...+tune&model=++

Information Regarding Green Diesel Engineering:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/g...ne-wk-1219608/

Swirl-Motor Repair (DIY):

http://www.chirpz.com/swirl/Swirl%20Project.pdf

Swirl-Motor Information:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...rd-wk-1235895/
Good-Luck!!
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
zc911

jsut get the GDE ECO tune and probablem solved, plus you'll get better fuel mileage
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

Infamous engine ........ really! Doesn't sound like you had any serious issues for 80,000 km and you can most likely fix the swirl for pennies with the resistor mod.
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Radcrd
2007 WK 

As above GDE tune it and forget about it. All for less than $1000 and you wont be disappointed trust me!
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
revitup

Thanks a million for all the replies. I will go the the ECO tune:
Just a couple of more questions:

1) Will the existing swirl valves as stuck in an unknown position effect the tune?
2) Does anything have to be removed or stopped up?
3) I have read about the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) where does this come into play or does it?
4) Can I get a dealer to do this?
5) Does this void an extended warranty?
6) Is they any way/think fuel aditives or something to clean the intale manofold

Thanks again and very impressed with the above comments. We love the car and the engine. That why we bought it.
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
Thanks a million for all the replies. I will go the the ECO tune:
Just a couple of more questions:

1) Will the existing swirl valves as stuck in an unknown position effect the tune?
2) Does anything have to be removed or stopped up?
3) I have read about the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) where does this come into play or does it?
4) Can I get a dealer to do this?
5) Does this void an extended warranty?
6) Is they any way/think fuel aditives or something to clean the intale manofold

Thanks again and very impressed with the above comments. We love the car and the engine. That why we bought it.

My best answer for you regarding the Eco-Tune is to contact them directly for 100% concrete answers with their tune/software. We don't want to guarantee you anything that they cannot guarantee themselves.

now that being said;

1) I'm sure it will not be a problem for the GDE to bypass the swirl motor error, even after it's failed.

2) Nothing has to be removed or blocked up, unless you ask the the optional custom tune for the DPF delete, then you would have to gut your DPF.

3) the DPF is a ceramic honeycomb in your exhaust. It traps all the "soot/oil" in your vehicle and burns it off every (so many kms) for emissions control. I gutted mine out and asked for the delete on my kit, because its $1500 to replace once it cloggs up. Plus you save fuel for not having to "clean" it every so many kms. Choice is yours.

4) I don't see any dealer doing this for you. The tune is easy enough to do yourself, but I'm sure an after-market shop will take your money and do it for you. It's really easy!!! (unless you get the DPF delete, then an exhaust shop will take care of that for you).

5) Regarding voiding warranty, I'm sure it will be fine, but warranty companies will do ANYTHING to get out of paying or covering if they don't have to. They are crooks.

6) DONT put any cleaning additives in your vehicle. The engine wont respond well to it. It's a solid engine, leave it alone. If your worried about cleaning the swirl motor, take it apart and clean it by hand.
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
revitup

rayann04 many many thanks for your input. My wife was in tears when we first got this $8,000 estimate, and to say the least, I was not a happy camper.

So I have just sent GDE a list of questions and will go with then for this repair. The DPF will be gutted, I'm sorta a car guy and can just imagine how these can get clogged up (I've done the same to an old 15 lbs cat converter)....and we have already replaced one.
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
rayann04 many many thanks for your input. My wife was in tears when we first got this $8,000 estimate, and to say the least, I was not a happy camper.

So I have just sent GDE a list of questions and will go with then for this repair. The DPF will be gutted, I'm sorta a car guy and can just imagine how these can get clogged up (I've done the same to an old 15 lbs cat converter)....and we have already replaced one.
No problem, happy to help!

http://www.chirpz.com/swirl/DPF_Delete.pdf

That is a link for a DIY DPF Delete. The very last photo is at the bottom, of the stock DPF. I would take a long pry bar and smash out all the ceramic honeycomb, and reuse the pipe once its all cleared out. Unless you wanted to spend money to re-fabricate a replacement pipe.
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
BAH101
2008 WK 

Gutting the DPF, (if they find it gutted) might cause issues with warranty. You could just get the ECO tune now, and its only a $100 upgrade in the tune later for the DPF portion. $280 for oil change, that's about what I paid until I started to buy filters from the states and get my oil direct from the ESSO bulk dealer down the road. I think I was under $10/litre for oil and I'm paying about $7 for filters from here: http://europarts-sd.com/2007-2009oil...eselengine.asp I am close to the border so i get them shipped to the border store and drive 30 mins to pick it up. Changing the oil is simple, especially if you have a Fumoto drain plug. It's just a bit time consuming filling, as you have to pour 4-5 liters down through the oil filter. You can get the filter wrench from the above website also.

As for the swirl vanes, from my understanding, they default to wide open when the motor fails or is unplugged. The resister mod tricks the ECU into believing the motor is working by seeing resistance to ground. The ECO tune just turns the silly thing off.
The GDE DPF tune turns the regeneration portion of the ECU off, so it is not really a DFP delete (not legal). You do the delete when you gut, or remove the DPF.
If you go the DPF route, there are two tubes attached to the DPF, its best to remove them so they don't rattle around, but do not plug the tubes at the sensor or there is a good chance you will get a CEL.
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
revitup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
Gutting the DPF, (if they find it gutted) might cause issues with warranty. You could just get the ECO tune now, and its only a $100 upgrade in the tune later for the DPF portion. $280 for oil change, that's about what I paid until I started to buy filters from the states and get my oil direct from the ESSO bulk dealer down the road. I think I was under $10/litre for oil and I'm paying about $7 for filters from here: http://europarts-sd.com/2007-2009oil...eselengine.asp I am close to the border so i get them shipped to the border store and drive 30 mins to pick it up. Changing the oil is simple, especially if you have a Fumoto drain plug. It's just a bit time consuming filling, as you have to pour 4-5 liters down through the oil filter. You can get the filter wrench from the above website also.

As for the swirl vanes, from my understanding, they default to wide open when the motor fails or is unplugged. The resister mod tricks the ECU into believing the motor is working by seeing resistance to ground. The ECO tune just turns the silly thing off.
The GDE DPF tune turns the regeneration portion of the ECU off, so it is not really a DFP delete (not legal). You do the delete when you gut, or remove the DPF.
If you go the DPF route, there are two tubes attached to the DPF, its best to remove them so they don't rattle around, but do not plug the tubes at the sensor or there is a good chance you will get a CEL.
But if you just go with the GDE DPF tune you just turn of the regeneration program of the ECU, is that true. If so then the DPF will just gum-up all the faster? Therefore, would it not be better to do the GDE DPF tune and gut the DPF?

I take it also that when I take it in to the dealer, to maintain the extended warranty I will have to to put it back into the stock setting. I will contact my extended warranty people (Ensureall) tomorrow and see if I can maintain the warranty with these mods.

And once again you guys have been a great help.

Also please bear in mind, as in my case, there are maybe allot more people out there reading this info who require help and you will never hear from them.
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup
But if you just go with the GDE DPF tune you just turn of the regeneration program of the ECU, is that true. If so then the DPF will just gum-up all the faster? Therefore, would it not be better to do the GDE DPF tune and gut the DPF? I take it also that when I take it in to the dealer, to maintain the extended warranty I will have to to put it back into the stock setting. I will contact my extended warranty people (Ensureall) tomorrow and see if I can maintain the warranty with these mods. .
On the first part, yes you are correct. If you get the ECO with DPF tune you will have to remove, or gut your DPF. This will have more chance of being noticed by the warranty people. If you get the ECO w/o DPF, you will get ride of the Swirl motor issue and have lots of nice power at your disposal with the added benefit of increased mileage. The upgrade from ECO w/o, to ECO with DPF, is only $100. You could do that after your warranty expires.
When you go to talk to the warranty people, just ask, "what if I installed this" and if they suggest no! then do it and don't tell them. Or, better yet, just don't say anything. Just remove the tune when you take it to the shop.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
jaje
2007 WK 

You also have the option of installing a $0.05 resistor to disable the swirl motor for now and drive it until you get a GDE tune or simply not get a tune at all. I'm running the resistor fix right now and no issues since I got the dreaded lightning bolt in the butt cheeks light and the CEL. Check out my CRD FAQ for more info.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
ryann04
2008 WK 

I do believe there is a warrenty section with a FAQ regarding what they can void and what they can't, and the reasons why.

My understanding of this is, If you do a DPF delete on your vehicle, they can only void your warranty on your DPF section of the vehicle. Now if you engine blows up, they cannot void your warranty because you deleted your dpf, unless they can link it as a direct cause of the engine failing under diagnosis.

I mean, seriously, if you put different size tires on your car, fort whatever reason, and the engine blows up, they cant void your warranty because you put different tires on the car.

Anyways, look into it, it never hurts.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.