Crank Position Sensor on a 2005 4.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Crank Position Sensor on a 2005 4.7

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
PopaPork
2005 WK 

Crank Position Sensor on a 2005 4.7

Morning everyone -
I seem to be in a jeep fixing mode lately.
My jeep seems to like to just shut off at random times. Be driving down the road, coming up to a stop light and it's like someone just turned the key off. No shudder or anything just shut off.
I have been reading on this interwebs thing, that a lot of the 5.7 owners have the same problem and it turned out to the the CPS, Crank Position Sensor.

Awesome, great, wonderful. Just wear is it on the 4.7?

PopaPork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Are any lights coming on when the Jeep dies? Any warnings or anything? You will get a code and some lights if it is the CPS.
Unread 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
PopaPork
2005 WK 

Nope, nothing, everything stays the same.
NOW, the jeep does have another problem, where we will be driving down the road, high way, back roads, what ever, and ALL the lights and gauges go crazy and come on. Blink on and off, needed ping a few times and then everything goes back to normal. Jeep runs fine when this happens. If you were looking out the window when this was going on you wouldn't even know it was happening.
Unread 04-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Have you tried to pull any codes lately or do the Key Dance?
Unread 04-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
PopaPork
2005 WK 

Yeah I did the dance, no codes or anything.
I did screw up a plug change last night and had P2323 and 2317, but once I fixed my screw up and let the computer reset, no codes are in there. I checked this am and after a 30 minute drive to work.
Also this problem has been going on for sometime now, before the plugs and those codes from last night.
Unread 04-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I don't believe that it is the CPS as that does throw a code and alot of time will turn the CEL on. What spark plugs are you using?
Unread 04-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
PopaPork
2005 WK 

Champion 439s or what ever the OEM replacement was. The last batch of plugs were from my Jeep dealer. This stalling has been going on for some time now, just hit or miss.
Unread 04-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
816jared
2005 WK 

I'd get the battery tested/possibly replaced before I started going crazy with troubleshooting

Tags
4.7 , cps , crank position sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.