Cracking sound from dashboard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Cracking sound from dashboard

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
fast916
2009 WK 

Cracking sound from dashboard

I have a 2009 JGC Hemi limited with less that 50k miles on it. It is running like a champ but has this cracking sound that is coming out of the dashboard. The Jeep is so quiet which makes this sound very obvious at low speeds. I installed Billstein shocks to it and has an aftermarket windshield but otherwise it is bone stock. The sound was there before replacing the shocks so I know the shocks did not contribute to it. I was told by the dealer that the dashboard was not mounted properly and they will need to take it out and reinstall it again properly which is something I dont want to do yet until I consult the collective wisdom here. Did any of you folks run into this problem before?? What was the solution?? Thanks.

fast916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Turn up the radio.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
chevra
2008 WK 

Does it do it all the time or just sometimes? My 08 does this once and a while, more often when it is cold outside. Mine is a a loud crack sound that seems to come from around the nav unit. I figure it is just the changing temperatures that causes it but it is loud sometimes ha. You might have a different issue tho.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast916 View Post
I have a 2009 JGC Hemi limited with less that 50k miles on it.......it and has an aftermarket windshield.....
Why a replacement windshield? I think that's where I would be looking for the problem.

My 07 WK doesn't have any noises coming from the dash/windshield area, though there are noises from other places....

My old 97 ZJ had an aftermarket stereo, and it creaked a lot when driving around corners and ramps, but I never got to fixing it because it was destroyed by a driver on a cell phone.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

My 2010 Laredo dash will do this when I have full heat on, which is fairly common because even in the winter I drive with the sunroof open. As said, it seems to come fron the center behind the AV unit. Mine is NOT the windshield, it sounds like two plastic dash parts that butt together, shifting.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
RebelMS38WK
2010 WK 

My 2010 does it from time to time as well. Normally it happens when the heat is on during the winter. Probably just something expanding because of the heat.
3.7L : K&N Cold Air Intake 77 series : 2' Rough Country lift : Inferno Crystal Pearl Coat : RED WK CLUB #33
RebelMS38WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
fast916
2009 WK 

Mine happens when the AC is on. I guess I'll let the dealer take the dashboard out, check things out then reinstall it. I just wanted to avoid that.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

AFAIK, taking the dash out is a BIG job, and at 50k miles your rig would be out of warranty. Other than a cracking sound, has there been any issue? When the dealer says it was installed wrong, what does that mean? Is the steering wheel on the passenger side?

Personally, I would just ignore the cracking sound and drive the rig around until the dash fell in my lap, and then let the dealer reinstall it. That at least ought to save 50% of the labor cost.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

Re-reading your post, are you suggesting it is actually the air conditioner? Because there is a technique for replacing a bad blend door gear by going in throuh the glove box opening. I understand this saves a thousand bucks in labor.

The symptom of this would be more than a sound, you would be having problems with your a/c. There are threads on this.
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
fast916
2009 WK 

The sound is coming from the dashboard or right behind it. It is there whether the AC is on or not. I can reproduce it when the Jeep is approaching an incline at an angle and at very low speed. I think it has to do with twisting forces on the chassis.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.