Couple questions?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Couple questions??

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
FU5E
2006 WK 

Couple questions??

I am new here and just bought my first jeep 2006 4.7 Laredo 102k seems pretty solid but has a couple things to address, and I have been searching but not quite finding answers that I'm looking for.

Seems I need to do plugs as the mileage is much poorer than others that I've been reading are getting. I assume champion is factory but I've seen others stating they use NGKs (no # posted that I've seen). I prefer NGK but was wondering if there was any specific number others are running (Its bone stock right now)

Also noticed today that the moon roof is leaking , It snowed last night and had about three inches up there. I left later after it started melting and got a wet surprise as I took a corner? The used dealer I bought it from just fixed the drain hose and I was wondering if there is something else common I should look for or take it in for a fix?

- on a side note: looking at the first performance mod which I typically do intake first want to know if there is any real benefit of doing so before installing the exhaust? some cars it does others it seems not really. so far my reading is leading me to Jet chip first but normally I do supporting mods then chip so Im not sure what to order first??

Thanks for the help.

FU5E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Usually the drains to the sunroof get plugged up, and then they leak to the interior.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Hey buddy, got the 2006 with 4.7L myself.

Make sure your moonroof is closing all the way, there is a TSB for this if it does not close all the way. Complete steps 7-12.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/TSB/wk_rapid_response_05-027.pdf

As for your truck and that it has 102,000 miles on it. I would do the following as they are cheap(ish), can be done yourself, and you will now know when they were done last.

1. Change Diff Fluids (Front and Rear)
2. Change Transfer Case Fluid
3. Change Tranny Fluid + internal filters
4. Change Oil and Filter (throw synthetic in there, don't worry about high mileage)
5. Change Sparks, use direct factory replacement
6. Check Pads and Discs
7. Change Serpentine Belt, regardless of condition

[All if not most of these items have video rightups in the FAQ stickie in the forum]

As far as performance mods go, Superchips Flashpaq first. Then CAI (intake) and exhaust. Now that it is available, I would go with the AFE Intake over the K&N. I have the K&N, love it, but the AFE is claiming bigger gains and HP and TQ gains don't come easily.

Enjoy it man, your gonna have a lot of fun!
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
FU5E
2006 WK 

cool, that's exactly what I was trying to sort out. thanks 0321Nick for the link on the sunroof, Ill try to recalibrate it tomorrow and contact the dealer on weather the modules been updated before. going to start on the list with spark plugs first and work my way through it.
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
modernblueWK

Pull each coil one by one. 10 mm nut holding each coil down. Unplug the connector, pull coil, replace plug. Use spark plug boot lube on the coil boots and a dab of anti seize on the plug threads. The coil boots may have "welded" themselves to the spark plugs so try to pull them straight up with a little twist.

You might need a thin wall spark plug socket and a universal +extension to get to all of them.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU5E View Post
I am new here and just bought my first jeep 2006 4.7 Laredo 102k seems pretty solid but has a couple things to address, and I have been searching but not quite finding answers that I'm looking for.

Seems I need to do plugs as the mileage is much poorer than others that I've been reading are getting. I assume champion is factory but I've seen others stating they use NGKs (no # posted that I've seen). I prefer NGK but was wondering if there was any specific number others are running (Its bone stock right now)

Also noticed today that the moon roof is leaking , It snowed last night and had about three inches up there. I left later after it started melting and got a wet surprise as I took a corner? The used dealer I bought it from just fixed the drain hose and I was wondering if there is something else common I should look for or take it in for a fix?

- on a side note: looking at the first performance mod which I typically do intake first want to know if there is any real benefit of doing so before installing the exhaust? some cars it does others it seems not really. so far my reading is leading me to Jet chip first but normally I do supporting mods then chip so Im not sure what to order first??

Thanks for the help.
Go with Champion plugs.

Let everything thaw out before honing in on sunroof drains - they are likely frozen.

Superchip is worth it. If it's me I'd skip the intake and exhaust. Sound cool but under ~3.5K rpms they are not worth it.......and at that rpm you're burning fuel so what's the point? Get a K&N drop in and call it a day.

Welcome to the WK!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
jeepin_in_a_wk
2007 WK 

i recommend E3 plugs, got em in my 3.7 for about 5k now, only plug I'm buying for it
jeepin_in_a_wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #8
modernblueWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin_in_a_wk View Post
i recommend E3 plugs, got em in my 3.7 for about 5k now, only plug I'm buying for it
No..... Get the factory spec plugs only.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #9
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Go with Champion plugs.

Let everything thaw out before honing in on sunroof drains - they are likely frozen.

Superchip is worth it. If it's me I'd skip the intake and exhaust. Sound cool but under ~3.5K rpms they are not worth it.......and at that rpm you're burning fuel so what's the point? Get a K&N drop in and call it a day.

Welcome to the WK!
^X2....mine froze from snow and cold weather. I thought they clogged...but I haven't had problems since. Just make sure to wipe snow off your roof.

Build Thread
BoraBora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
caulk04
2008 WK 

E3 plugs are snake oil junk. Remember the split-fire plugs?

I ran NGK OE replacements #6987 in my old 4.7. Never an issue, I liked them alot.
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU5E
cool, that's exactly what I was trying to sort out. thanks 0321Nick for the link on the sunroof, Ill try to recalibrate it tomorrow and contact the dealer on weather the modules been updated before. going to start on the list with spark plugs first and work my way through it.
Go to wkjeeps.com - lots of good info there especially with the maintenance schedules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04
E3 plugs are snake oil junk. Remember the split-fire plugs? I ran NGK OE replacements #6987 in my old 4.7. Never an issue, I liked them alot.
This is true too, the 4.7L only works well with the Champion replacements.

Be warned, as you dive into these maintenence points, many systems require specific MOPAR replacement fluids and won't last/accept after market fluids. These systems include:
Transfer Case Fluid
Brake Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
Engine Coolant

The systems that will work with after market fluids are:
Front and Rear Diffs
Oil
Transmission Fluid
Washer fluid (haha)
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
Unread 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
caulk04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321Nick View Post
Go to wkjeeps.com - lots of good info there especially with the maintenance schedules.

This is true too, the 4.7L only works well with the Champion replacements.
This is untrue. I guarantee it. Popular belief is that the Hemi only likes OE plugs and I went with that convention. Though now that I have done the plugs once and they aren't that bad, I'll try the NGK's that I've had such luck with in the past next time.

I'm not saying the OE Champs are bad, but this guy likes NGK plugs and I've used them in a 4.7 before with good results.
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

I would use caution using specs from wkjeep, the spark plug gap on the 2010 hemi is wrong when compared to the owners manual.

Free owners manual at jeep.com bottom of page, owners/service manuals.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04
This is untrue. I guarantee it. Popular belief is that the Hemi only likes OE plugs and I went with that convention. Though now that I have done the plugs once and they aren't that bad, I'll try the NGK's that I've had such luck with in the past next time. I'm not saying the OE Champs are bad, but this guy likes NGK plugs and I've used them in a 4.7 before with good results.
Interesting. From everything I've read and from other Jeeper's experiences, anything but the champions in the 05/06/07 4.7L caused pre-ignition issues - which I took to heart since the CPU should correct for that automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk
I would use caution using specs from wkjeep, the spark plug gap on the 2010 hemi is wrong when compared to the owners manual. Free owners manual at jeep.com bottom of page, owners/service manuals.
Sure, double check everything, but my suggestion of wkjeeps was in reference to the original poster having a 2006 4.7L. The site has yet to steer me wrong.
KHAKI CLUB #65
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
FU5E
2006 WK 

I put the factory champion plugs in (they are actually very easy & cheap). The sunroof leak was the tubes as I found they were clogged up with ice, opened up the ends more and I guess Ill have to make sure the roof is cleared off when it snows.

Next it appears is trans filter, lines, and ft crank seal as the lines and seal are leaking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.