couple Bilstein 5125 rear shock questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > couple Bilstein 5125 rear shock questions

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
bersh
2008 WK 

couple Bilstein 5125 rear shock questions

My Bilstein 5125 arrived today, so I plan to install them, the 4600 in the front, and OME MD coils in the next couple days.

I have a couple questions regarding the rear shocks. I'm aware of the fact that I'll need to run washers in the rear as the shock eyelets are a touch narrower, but one thing that has me concerned is that the inner diameter of the metal sleeve is larger than the stock bolt diameter, and I don't want to have a rattle or clunk. Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement sleeve or different bolts? Kolak sent me a message with some bolt recommendations, but they appear to be similar to the stock bolts in diameter. Will the stock sleeves fit in the Bilstein? Or is all of this a none issue as long as I torque the bolts properly?

My other question, which I imagine will be evident when I remove the stock shocks, is which way do the Bilstein get installed - boot up or down? I'm guessing down but I see pics on here with them both ways so just curious.

Thanks.

bersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

Boot up on my 5100's

shocks.jpg
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK View Post
Boot up on my 5100's

Attachment 1448322
Why?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post

Why?
Agreed.

Most shocks are designed to be installed a certain way - I doubt those are any different.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Mine were installed by a 4x4 shop with the boot up too.....no problems....

I don't think it really matters?
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
Mine were installed by a 4x4 shop with the boot up too.....no problems....

I don't think it really matters?
Interesting. I guess it makes sense now that I think about it - monotube shocks it shouldn't matter.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
ksteve
2009 WK 

I had to add washer on top and on the bottom. I'f I didn't the mounts wouldve been pinched. Especially the top mounts. I added 4 washers on the top of each mount (2 on each side) It wasn't enough. I was advised on this site that two on each side on the top and one on each side on the bottom would've been enough. I think my mistake was that I used fender washers instead of normal washers. Try using this set up with normal washers instead of fender washers. 4 on top, 2 below.
ksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
ksteve
2009 WK 

It's a little tricky to hold all those washers into place while you send the bolt through at the correct height. I'd suggest having a single hand from a friend just to help align all those washers while you work the shock and catch the bolts into the mounts.
ksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Interesting. I guess it makes sense now that I think about it - monotube shocks it shouldn't matter.
monotube's can be installed in either direction.

One of the advantages of monotubes
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
bersh
2008 WK 

I went with boot up. I tried them the other way and just didn't like the way the boot was so close to the tire, though seeing the silver Bilsteins in the wheel wheels looked nice. I also had a pretty substantial clunk on both sides, and a different one on the driver's side. The different one was the black plastic wheel well liner vibrating and hitting the shock. I trimmed it and got rid of that, but couldn't get rid of the clunk. I figured what the hell and flipped them over and changed the washer configuration a little and I'm pretty sure I solved it. I ended up using an additional thick grade 8 washer on the outside to spread the load a bit, even though I used flange head bolts (not factory bolts). I also cherry picked some new washers from the bin that were thicker than the previous ones I used. Not sure if one or a combination of all the things did it but as long as it stays quiet I'll be happy. I'm driving a jacked up rig for now as I won't have time to do the front until Friday or most likely the weekend. The OME MD springs gave me just shy of 2" of lift in the rear and they drive great, which is what I wanted.
bersh is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.