Cost of transmission 4.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Cost of transmission 4.7

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
psmask01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey my fellow jeepers Ive come to you all for some guidance. I am having the dreaded tranny troubles. Ive got an 05 4.7 123k. These cold mornings are terrible. It dies at every stop sign, red light, sometimes when I just take my foot off the accelerator unless I put it into neutral. Even then it will occasionaly stall untill ive driven it about 20-30 minutes to warm up. Question is, Ive had this jeep 7 months. Its financed. I need it to last as long as possible bc I am a poor college student. Do I get a rebuild, or an entire remanufactured replacement? I am not exactly sure what is included in either this is just what guy at shop told me, that if I really wanted it to last I should go on and get a remanufactured one. Are the 47s cheaper bc its not the Mercedes? How much can I expect to pay bc Im going to have to take out a loan to get it fixed. I understand thats a pretty broad question just ball park figures. Any info would be great thank you all.

psmask01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

Your trans is the 5-45RFE. It's very common. Used behind all truck 4.7 and Hemi engines from 02-12ish.

And this has been diagnosed as a transmission issue how? Have you cleaned the throttle body and tried new IAC and/or TPS sensors? Basic tune-up? Any vacuum leaks? Battery up to snuff?
Unread 11-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
psmask01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thats just what guy at shop told me. I am not great with vehicles but I have recently cleaned the throttle body, batterys brand new. put fresh plugs in, change pcv, and flush all the fluids including tranny. (ive been told the tranny flush could have been the problem) As far as the IAC, vaccuum leaks, and TPS that is beyond my knowledge. I did some research on here and thought maybe the EGR valve..could that be anything relevant?
Unread 11-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
psmask01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Im thinking about just trading it in. Is it worth throwing $3k into a vehicle worth $8k? Or should I take the money that I would invest in fixing it torwards something a little newer? Regardless I want to stick with either a GC or Wrangler bc I love Jeeps, but am wondering if its worth throwing into a 2005 vehicle 123k. I really cant stand missing work and school bc of a broken down vehicle. Any input would be great guys.
Unread 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmask01 View Post
Thats just what guy at shop told me. I am not great with vehicles but I have recently cleaned the throttle body, batterys brand new. put fresh plugs in, change pcv, and flush all the fluids including tranny. (ive been told the tranny flush could have been the problem) As far as the IAC, vaccuum leaks, and TPS that is beyond my knowledge. I did some research on here and thought maybe the EGR valve..could that be anything relevant?
What fluid did they put in the trans? Generally I would not do a "flush," but rather a pan drop and filter replacement. This only replaces some of the tranny fluid, but I have heard of transmission flushes causing too many problems.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
caulk04
2008 WK 

Have you verified that the correct fluid and filterS were used? Who did the trans flush?

Have you verified that the fluid level is correct?

I'm not saying it can't be the trans, I just hate to see drastic action be taken if it's a simple problem. Co-worker just forked over a leg and his left nut for a reman trans in his 05 Super Duty even though it drove fine until he hit 50mph and it went to limp mode. Electrical problem, I'm SURE. But he just listened to the dealer and replaced the whole thing.
Unread 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Have you verified that the correct fluid and filterS were used? Who did the trans flush?

Have you verified that the fluid level is correct?

I'm not saying it can't be the trans, I just hate to see drastic action be taken if it's a simple problem. Co-worker just forked over a leg and his left nut for a reman trans in his 05 Super Duty even though it drove fine until he hit 50mph and it went to limp mode. Electrical problem, I'm SURE. But he just listened to the dealer and replaced the whole thing.
Agreed 100%
Black WK Club #152
Unread 11-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I'd for sure be checking engine tune related items first if the only problem is stalling when making cold stops. Does it shift normally.......no lag when shifting from park to reverse or drive, or from drive to reverse? On the first start of the day, when putting it in gear, does it take a few seconds before it goes into gear? Like caulk04 said, is the fluid level correct when hot? It'll read a little low when cold, and it takes about 20-30 miles of driving to bring it up to full operating temperature......probably more like 30 in this cold weather. When checking the fluid, smell it. Does it smell burnt, even though it's fairly new? If so, not good. Did you change the filters too? If so, are they for sure installed correctly. Also remember, these transmissions are fully electronic and use sensor inputs from the engine and transmission to set shift timing and firmness. If your engine is in poor tune or there is a sensor problem, it'll generally shift harder and later than normal and tend to be somewhat erratic. In cold weather (until warmed up) it'll probably hold the gears a little longer than normal, even when working properly. Also, any faulty sensors used by the PCM/TCM to calculate shift timing and firmness, will cause erratic operation. I think, like caulk04 said, don't go rush out and buy a transmission (at least $2000+) when you may just have something minor (my guess, based on your first post, is engine tune/sensor related) causing the problem.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
modernblueWK

Get a second opinion on the stalling.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
psmask01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep dealer did the tranny service so im sure they used right fluid. And it is still clean and right where it should be on the stick. It does have a lag and slip when switching from park to drive, reverse to drive, all of that, hesitates then jerks. It will even start to roll backwards if stopped slightly uphillI before engaging into drive. just today got the P0700 code...Seems like either way I will be throwing $$ away.
Unread 11-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
modernblueWK

Sounds like the trans filter o-ring was improperly installed.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmask01 View Post
Jeep dealer did the tranny service so im sure they used right fluid. And it is still clean and right where it should be on the stick. It does have a lag and slip when switching from park to drive, reverse to drive, all of that, hesitates then jerks. It will even start to roll backwards if stopped slightly uphillI before engaging into drive. just today got the P0700 code...Seems like either way I will be throwing $$ away.
The dealer should fix the problem that they caused on their dime.
Black WK Club #152

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.