Cost to replace struts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Cost to replace struts

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
MildThunder

Cost to replace struts

Wondering if anyone had their front struts replaced at the dealer. I have a 2008 GC overland 4x4, the front struts are shot. I've seen the how to's on this site, and it looks like a pain in the butt to replace them. But I guess I gotta compare and decide whether to deal with the pain in the butt or pain in the wallet?

MildThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
RCS1300
2005 WK 

In my experience each strut installed by the dealer costs about $500. $175 parts, remainder is labor. Purchase it yourself and each strut is $135 but you will need tools - jack, jack stands, and tools.
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
In my experience each strut installed by the dealer costs about $500. $175 parts, remainder is labor. Purchase it yourself and each strut is $135 but you will need tools - jack, jack stands, and tools.
^^^ This. It's definitely not rocket science as far as a diy job.

Whatever you do, absolutely don't have it done at a dealer - they will rape you.....AND charge you a ton of cash....

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
RCS1300
2005 WK 

If you are considering a DIY on this with no good tools in your toolbox or jack stands and a jack you will do better than breaking even after you purchase what you will need. I found the Kobalt 1/2 corded impact driver purchased at Lowes for $150 to be a frustration saver. It was able to loosen and remove all of the stubborn bolts.

The benefit is then you will have the tools to do brake work, hubs/bearings, and CV boots - all of which are typically needed sometime after 100,000+ miles.
Unread 08-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
mkmk
2006 WK 

I recently ordered Bilstein 4600s from Kolak here, and paid a local shop to do the install. Front struts and rear shocks installed were about $250 in labor, total. Seemed like a good deal to me.
mkmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
I recently ordered Bilstein 4600s from Kolak here, and paid a local shop to do the install. Front struts and rear shocks installed were about $250 in labor, total. Seemed like a good deal to me.
That is a terrific deal! If I had a local shop like that I would not do some of the work myself. Unfortunately, my Jeep Dealer marks up parts above list price and charges full rate book for labor.
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
danb303
2005 WK 

Check with front end shops or local mechanics. I just replaced mine with OME and it can be a challenge without the proper tools. I had help from a friend who had the specialty tools (spring compressors, and the ball joint tool) and also had a car lift. My strut tower bolts were seized in the bushings and that made changing mine a pain. We couldn't get them out so we had to work it out by pushing the strut up out of the stand.
If you DIY.
Make sure to take off the abs wire off the mount. It will pull it and possibly break it if you don't.
You'll need and 8,10,14,18,19 and a 20 something mm sockets. The spring compressors, and the ball Joint tool. And a good impact.
we had to take the control arm off on the rear drivers side because it was hitting the gas tank skid before it would drop down low enough to remove the spring. Putting that back on was a pain.

It took an experienced mechanic ( jeep mechanic) and me 2 hours. On a lift with all the tools
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Ariont
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
I did the same thing here and the cost was $300 total because I needed to get a Moog Strut Mount Kit as the original ones were shot and we didn't know it until they had taken the front end apart.
Proud Member of the Black WK Club - MEMBER #128
Ariont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
mkmk
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
That is a terrific deal! If I had a local shop like that I would not do some of the work myself. Unfortunately, my Jeep Dealer marks up parts above list price and charges full rate book for labor.
I'm glad I found this guy. He also took care of a seized parking brake for what I thought was a fair price. Just moved to town, so chose him based on Yelp and other reviews. So far so good!

Anybody in South Bend, IN, it's Tim's Auto Repair. Locally owned shop, with 4-5 bays and lots of business. Seems like he's doing something right.

Best of luck with the repair.
mkmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
MildThunder

would you guys say the Monroe "Quick struts" are the way to go? The jeep has 160k miles on it. Planning to do this job myself. Thanks!
Unread 09-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
colinzj
2006 WK 

If the Quick Strut meets your needs, it doesn't make the job easy (you still have to get the old strut assembly out) but does cut out a whole lot of labor.
Unread 09-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
MildThunder

The right front strut has been leaking for a little while. The bouncy front end is getting tiresome. Think I'm gonna order up a pair of the quick struts and start soaking things with penetrating oil
Unread 09-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Bilstien 5100's just became available last week.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
klarmie

quick struts are the way to go if your rig has higher mileage. New springs, new upper mount and new struts will definitely improve the ride and will make the job much easier. Hardest part of the job is removing the lower strut clevis.
klarmie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
DCFD522

PB Blaster is your friend. Soak it for a week or more, daily. Also, make sure you have an 18mm regular and deep socket, and a 21mm. I just put the 2" RC lift on and it was a pain getting the lower strut bolt out...ended up bashing it with an 8lb sledge for an hour while pulling with vice grips. Reinstall was much easier!
DCFD522 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.