Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70R17 Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70R17 Review

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
rtflew
1986 CJ7 

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70R17 Review

Just as the subject says.

I bought new tires for my 2006 Commander Limited last week, and wanted to share my initial impressions after about 200 miles.

I bought these tires for several reasons, after researching on the Forum, as well as reading the Consumer Reports ratings, looking at on-line reviews, comparing specs from the manufacturer sites, etc. I also compared tire weight and rolling resistance in my research.

I zeroíd in on a few different Michelinís, both their A/T and the less aggressive M/S versions, and the Dynaproís in addition to the Cooperís. What finally swung the Coopers was a combination of being less expensive & a more aggressive tread compared to the Michelinís, and being a US-made tire versus the Dynaproís. I was also surprised to see quite a few unhappy Michelin A/T & M/S owners out there, which I did not expect.

Iíve only driven them on dry & wet pavement, but am very happy so far! The vibration I had with the old tires (on when I bought the Jeep a month ago) around 70-75 is gone entirely. I did pick a shop that did Road Force Balancing just to be on the safe side. The Cooperís are practically silent at highway speed Ė my wife compared it to just regular car tires, which I thought was a pretty good endorsement.

Iím also happy with the looks of the added tire size by going with the 70 series sidewalls. The 65ís looked small on the Commander I thought. These look much better. Hopefully next weekend Iíll get the new Bilsteinís (thanks Kolak) and front leveling spacer (Thanks Rustyís) installed (assuming they both arrive this week) and the drooping-front look should be gone as well.

For those with SuperChipís tuners (Thanks again Kolak!), Iíve been playing with the tire size setting, and right now am at 29.25, which is about a Ĺ MPH high on speedometer vs. my GPS at 70. I may try 29 still, but Iím pretty close.

Oh, no impact so far to MPG, either, which I was a bit concerned about. Iíll have to keep an eye on that longer-term to know for sure.

I'll post some pics when I get them pulled off my phone.

Overall, very happy so far with the purchase and wanted to share with others Ė Thanks!

RT

Unread 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
rtflew
1986 CJ7 

Adding Pics

Adding pics of the new tires...
smallfront.jpg   smallrear.jpg   smallside.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
suzieque
2008 WK 

good info and nice XK!
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

I have the same tires. I purchased line back in February. So far I am very pleased with them. I had them in a little bit of snow and they worked well. They are very quiet and are very responsive. I bought them for the price and the reviews as well. I would recommend these to anyone who is looking for a good all purpose tire.
justinmiller930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
rtflew
1986 CJ7 

5000 Mile Update on Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70R17 Review

Now that I've had the tires for over 5K miles (closer to 7K) and in all kinds of weather, I can update that I've been very happy with them in all sorts of weather - snow, rain, wind, dry, highway use, light off-road, etc. I've rotated them once (after 5K) and have not had any changes in road noise.

The only area they don't shine is on solid sheets of ice, but I think that is more a factor of the Jeep not being a heavy vehicle. (My wife's Tahoe does better on solid ice roads but I think it is due to the extra 1000+ lbs of weight of the Tahoe vs. Commander)

A few pics of the tires now, along with the recently installed leveling spacers from Rusty's and new shocks from Kolak... They spacers make the jeep look much more balanced out, and the shocks have made a HUGE seat-of-pants difference in handling.

Thanks!

RT
commander-leveled-dark-small.jpg

commander-leveled-small.jpg

commander-leveled-front-small.jpg

Unread 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
modernblueWK

Awesome! I see those at3's all over town now so they must be pretty popular. I considered those for my wife's new hemi durango as winters but got the cooper weathermaster wsc winter tires instead. I might get the at3's for summer instead of putting the crappy michelins back on.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

Perfect timing as my tyres are shot and these were one of the options I was considering. There's no review like someone with the same vehicle I' may even go up to the 70 profile as well, as that does look better and hey if it saves some revs at motorway speed then all the better. Thanks for the info, especially the pics.
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

I have the same tires. I really like them so far. I've had them for about 10 months now. I've had them in a little bit of mud, gravel, dry pavement, and snow. They really perform well in the snow.
In the last few months here in Pennsylvania, we've had our fair share of snow and cold temperatures. Let me tell you, this tires have not failed one bit. They've done an awesome job for me, and for other people who have them on their vehicles. I swear by these tires, and would tell anyone else who is going to purchase them that they will like them just as much as I do.
justinmiller930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
caulk04
2008 WK 

This is certainly a tire I'd like to run. But, sadly, they do not offer anything in 18 that will work for me.

I think I'm going to stick with a less aggressive tire anyway and go with a Mastercraft Courser HSX. Mastercraft tires are owned/made by Cooper anyway.
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
RJsWK
2006 WK 

I'm going on 2 years with my AT3's and still love them as much as day one. No problems and VERY minimal wear on them. Great tire!
RJsWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
dmsfun
2006 WK 

I've had mine for 2 years now, and they are great all around, and off road, and much smoother than the top rated Firestone Destination AT's, which I had previously. The Dest. AT's did handle and steer better, but not worth the tradeoff of poorer ride quality, i.e., rougher on bumps and bouncier They do make humming noise, as it is an AT tire, but it is not bad. These are a great tire for the price, much cheaper than Michelin.
2006 Overland QDII 5.7 BT catch can, Diablosport Intune, CMR tune by Hemifever tuning, Modern Muscle ported 85mm TB, Apexi super voltage regulator, SRT8 front and rear sway bars, Koni FSD shocks/struts, Cooper discoverer AT3's, Amsoil fluids.
dmsfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
igloid
2007 WK 

I have had them for about 6 months and so far I love them. Ride nice, handle nice, and work awesome in the snow. No complaints whatsoever.
igloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 01:24 AM   #13
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am running the AT/3 on my ford F350 1 ton pickup. I plow snow with it and tow a 14k fifth wheel during the warmer months. My Coopers are going on 3 seasons old and 15k miles and are wearing like iron and ride smooth as silk. I love these tires especially compared to the crappy Continentals I replaced. Great tire and best of all...MADE IN THE USA.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.