Cooling for Grand Cherokee Diesel. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Cooling for Grand Cherokee Diesel.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-15-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
VANCRD
2007 WK 

Cooling for Grand Cherokee Diesel.

I have a 2008 GC Diesel that I bought last summer. It has the class 4 factory tow package. It has about 50,000 miles on it. Soon after i bought it I used it to tow my boat on a trip through the mountains to a lake about 250 miles from my home. On some parts of the highway to the lake the hills can get very long and steep - one of the hills is more than 20 miles long (this is in British Columbia). On the worst/steepest parts of the hills I noticed the heat guage rise to a point about a quarter inch to the right (above) the middle mark of the guage and then settle in that ons spot. Once the worst part of a hill was over it would go back down to the normal spot below the half way point on the guage. It certainly was not a problem but I am used to the temperature guage on my previous vehicle not going up at all. If I happen to be going up there on a really hot day I wonder if I might havea problem? To be safe, I always turn the A/C off on those hills and I even turn the heat on to help get rid of the heat - as a precaution. I am just wondering if anyone has similar experience towing in the mountains and if there are any recommended improvements to the cooling system. May well not be necessaryat all but I am thinking preventatively....Any comments?

VANCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
pawwright

Yes - I have the same issue - also a 2008 GC Diesel with the factory tow package. I do most of my driving in the mountains and when I do a climb of roughly 1500-2000 feet over a couple of miles the gauge will move up - and that's with a 6x12 trailer maybe at 3000-3500 pounds. Worse in the summer, anything over 60 degrees Fahrenheit will cause the gauge to move upward. Even on mild inclines during the drive the gauge will move upward a tick or two. Always returns to the normal middle position on flat ground. I have thought about adding another transmission cooler, just haven't figured out which one will fit best.....
pawwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Red_liner740

Manual says that any gauge position outside of red is fine...

Your previous guages not moving doesnt mean much...most of them were idiot lights that showed the same needle position for a wide variety of temps.

Best way to know is to get Ultragauge or Scangauge which will show you actual temps that the ECU is seeing.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
VANCRD
2007 WK 

Red Liner 740 - yes, I thought about that and you could be right. I have towed up that hill one a year for many years and the needle never moved past it's normal temperature setting even on the hottest days. I never had even the hint of a problem but I wondered why it would not move past that normal range even a tick. However my old truck (Ford Explorer V8) had a cooling system with larger capacity in it (15.7 quarts). I wish I had the ability to read off the temperatures in my old vehicle when I was on that hill. I recently bought a OBD scanner tool that uses the Torque app to send this information to my Android so I will use it next summer when climbing the hill in the Jeep. I suppose the only way to check it against my old vehicle would be to tow my boat up there again with the Explorer to see what the readings are but it's two hours from my house to that hill.... As I mentioned I have the class 4 tow package - I wonder what that includes other than the hitch and wiring - I wonder if there is upgraded cooling in it?
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
VANCRD
2007 WK 

Pawwright - I always wonder about that issue too (the transmission fluid temp). I would hope and think that with the trailer towing package that no further improvements should be needed but before I feel confident I would like to know the facts; that is what does the trailer tow package include in terms of additional cooling protection and what are the actual temps I am seeing in coolant and transmission fluid....

As I mentioned in my reply to Red liner 740, I can now look at the actual coolant temp with the OBD scanner to my Android however there this does not seem to be an option on the transmission fluid temp - no reading given for that....I suppose I could have a guage added but I don't really want another guage put in there somewhere....Anyway, I hope that I may get a reply from someone that has measured this while towing in the mountains and in the end I did tow my 7,000 lb. boat and trailer up there last year with no issues so it's not a problem...just wanted to see if I could do something preventative to ensure it is not a problem in the future - on perhaps a hotter day....
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
pawwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANCRD View Post
Pawwright - I always wonder about that issue too (the transmission fluid temp). I would hope and think that with the trailer towing package that no further improvements should be needed but before I feel confident I would like to know the facts; that is what does the trailer tow package include in terms of additional cooling protection and what are the actual temps I am seeing in coolant and transmission fluid.......
I have read that the towing package either includes an upgraded trans cooler or larger - but when I look at the coolers on the front it looks as if they are all integrated with each other, so I am not sure if they are any better than stock. I will probably add a cooler this summer as after last summer, I had to back the trailer up a short incline and the trans over temp came on, and I know it had been working pretty hard up to that point. I am sure someone with better knowledge than I could chime in....
pawwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Mine does the same when towing my track car/trailer. I am not worried about but will adjust coolant/water ratio when I change it to 70/30 versus 50/50. May even add in a bottle of water wetter.
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I have a Dashawk and can monitor coolant temp....when pulling hills the highest I have seen was 215F. The sprinter guys have talked about this on their forum and the sprinter manual mentions 250F as the boiling point for a properly maintained system. Does the WK owners manual give a temp? I will check when I get home.

Anyway you are probably not close to 250F.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 01:30 AM   #9
MBDiesel
2014 WK 

Our WK's (CRD at least) have actual temp gauges, not idiot gauges. Mine creeps up above the midpoint while towing up grade; completely normal.

I would much rather have a real gauge showing me that I'm approaching too hot over an idiot gauge that jumps into the red right at boil over. My brother's Subaru does that...might as well replace the gauge with a light; 175F or 210F it indicates exactly the same.
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Do these engines benefit from things like lower temperature thermostats or additives like Engine Ice or Watter Wetter to lower the coolant temps?
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I don't tow much my jeep diesel right now, but with my ram diesel I do. You can just add or switch over to an aftermarket cooler that has some kind of electric fan attached to it. example B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers 70273. That should save your trans.

I don't have an EGT guage on my jeep yet, but I do have one on my ram. The turbo cooling is another thing to be concerned with. I'm not sure how to deal with that other than to go with a liquid cooled turbo or let off the gas when it starts to get hot. I was thinking of getting that bi-pod so I can install and exhaust gas temp guage in it.
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Plastic covers

I have noticed the bottom of my WK is covered with a plastic shield. I assume it is designed to reduce wind turbulence under the vehicle and enhance fuel economy.

I left mine on when I was doing my offroad upgrades because I do drive in snow quite a bit in the winter and I thought it might help keep the snow from getting into everything.

Could these plastic covers be restricting outflow of air from the engine compartment? If so it might be beneficial to remove them in summer months?
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Keep a close eye on your electric radiator fan!! The switch that operates them can fail and this will lead to severe overheating and engine damage. We blew a head gasket for this exact reason while pulling up the steep hill in Pendleton Or back in 08. This was with our older 2000 GC with in line 6 gasser. I was not watching the heat gauge as I usually do...got distracted. Normally it would not have been a problem.... but I later discovered that my fan switch had failed.

This lead to the purchase of our 07 CRD.

I keep a sharp eye on the temps when towing.

One nice way to do it is with the "Garmin Mechanic." If you have a Garmin Nuvi on your dash already that happens to be a blue tooth model, for another $99 you can get the Garmin Mechanic that reads your car's computer and displays guages on the the nuvi. You can watch every tick of the temperature as you go up hill.

You can watch it dip when you turn off the AC and turn on the heater....etc etc.

The Garmin is not as fancy as some the other devices mentioned already...but if you have a Nuvi on your dash....why not use it.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
mycos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiesel View Post
Our WK's (CRD at least) have actual temp gauges, not idiot gauges. Mine creeps up above the midpoint while towing up grade; completely normal.

I would much rather have a real gauge showing me that I'm approaching too hot over an idiot gauge that jumps into the red right at boil over. My brother's Subaru does that...might as well replace the gauge with a light; 175F or 210F it indicates exactly the same.
I agree, I'd rather have a real gauge. As the cooling system temp increases so does the differential between atmosphere and system. This has the effect of increasing the cooling systems efficiency. There is little benefit as I can see in having an over engineered cooling system just to keep the needle in the middle.

As someone else mentioned the system is designed to operate anywhere outside of the red zone, I guess we've just come to expect a static needle from other vehicles.

mycos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Does anyone know at what temp activates the fan?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.