Coolant leak from timing chain case cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Coolant leak from timing chain case cover

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
tooshort85
2005 WK 

Coolant leak from timing chain case cover

Hey guys, just a quick question for anyone who had gone as deep into the engine as exposing the timing chains.

I have a 4.7 that has developed a coolant leak. It drips down from the drivers side of the front head. If I look under the alternator I can see a little wet spot after first shutting down the engine after a drive. At first I thought the head gasket was the problem but have kind of ruled that out (I hope). I now think the leak is coming from the timing chain case where the upper radiator hose connects to the block.

My question is how common is this and is there a gasket in there? What would be my best option to repair this?

tooshort85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Water pump? I just did the water pump on the XK.
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
WJFrank88
2004 WJ 

Bumping this.

I've developed a similar problem after my wheeling trip this weekend. Looking for guidance as well.
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
tooshort85
2005 WK 

It isn't the water pump, I know what that looks like and have replaced mine probably about 6k miles ago. The point where it appears to be leaking is right under the alternator. I'm gonna dig up a picture real fast and will post again where I think it is coming from.
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
tooshort85
2005 WK 

Ok, I hope that picture worked.

The problem in my opinion is the orange strange shaped gasket on the top, that is where the coolant flows out and to the radiator, connects to the upper radiator hose.

My questions is how much of a task is it to take off and replace the timing chains case cover? Also where can I get the gasket?

I'll take off the alternator soon and see if I can be certain that is where the coolant is coming from, but as of now I'm about 99% sure.

Another question I have is, what bolts could I possibly torque down just a bit to try and see if it will seal it up?

Thanks guys

Last edited by tooshort85; 04-17-2014 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Fixed link
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
tooshort85
2005 WK 

Bump, man this forum REALLY disappoints me sometimes. I know there are some better mechanics in here with some insight.
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
jebo0420
2006 WK 

Not sure if my 2 cent will help or hurt, but I just had my 4.7 rebuilt the timing cover wasn't that bad to remove. "With the right tools" I replaced that gasket as well as everyone that came with a complete gasket set, check the interweb. If you have a puller and the knowledge to pull the front apart just do it, I'd say do the front seal while you have it apart and u already have the timing cover off. Good luck with however u get it fixed.
jebo0420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
jebo0420
2006 WK 

Wouldn't try to over torque the bolts last thing you'd want is to (a) break a bolt, (b) strip the treads fwiw
jebo0420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.