Coolant Leak...Ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Coolant Leak...Ideas?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
BigWag
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Coolant Leak...Ideas?

So my wife’s 2007 Commander seems to be leaking a lot of coolant. The coolant tank under the hood is empty. So I put some water in the tank and took it for a quick drive. 45 secs into the drive the engine temp is higher than normal, but the heater is blowing cold. This has me thinking a bad thermostat, but will that cause coolant leaking or do I have something else going on. I’m getting no DTC codes.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #70
BigWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
yzjwk
2005 WK 

the antifreeze has to be going somewhere . check the exhaust for white smoke and check the passenger floorboards for signs of a leaking heater core. i loose a little from my overflow line . If you let it get too low , you can get air in the system that can get trapped in the heater core for a short time .after refilling , go through a few heat cycles and see if the problem persists that should burp any air out . if it heats up really quick , it could be the thermost is stuck closed , but usually you would start overheating if that happened .
good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
BigWag
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well the coolant is all over the garage, sorry I forgot to mention it's leaking all over the place.
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
BigWag
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So I got the Commander up on some ramps today and I think I found where the leak is. I took two pics in case I can't describe where the leak is coming from. Basically it looks to be leaking bad right behind the large center belt pulley to the right of the lower radiator hose. I noticed it didn't really leak until the engine got warm, then it was pouring out. Is this the water pump?

Unread 04-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
JKM
2005 WK 

most likely water pump, but could also be the lower coolant housing that the thermostat. Both of these parts are relatively cheap so I would suggest you change them both out while you have the coolant system drained out.

As previously mentionned your overheating is likely due to air in the cooling system. Order a new pump and change out the thermostat. Both will come with new gaskets/o-rings.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
scott02ws6
2005 WK 

that's the weep hole leaking, means the water pump is about to go out
Unread 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott02ws6 View Post
that's the weep hole leaking, means the water pump is about to go out
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
kevin776

My 05 did the same thing. Just found the problem it was a bad thermostat o-ring. The leak was in the same place
kevin776 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.