Coolant Leak...Ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Coolant Leak...Ideas?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
BigWag
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Coolant Leak...Ideas?

So my wife’s 2007 Commander seems to be leaking a lot of coolant. The coolant tank under the hood is empty. So I put some water in the tank and took it for a quick drive. 45 secs into the drive the engine temp is higher than normal, but the heater is blowing cold. This has me thinking a bad thermostat, but will that cause coolant leaking or do I have something else going on. I’m getting no DTC codes.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #70
BigWag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
yzjwk
2005 WK 

the antifreeze has to be going somewhere . check the exhaust for white smoke and check the passenger floorboards for signs of a leaking heater core. i loose a little from my overflow line . If you let it get too low , you can get air in the system that can get trapped in the heater core for a short time .after refilling , go through a few heat cycles and see if the problem persists that should burp any air out . if it heats up really quick , it could be the thermost is stuck closed , but usually you would start overheating if that happened .
good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
BigWag
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well the coolant is all over the garage, sorry I forgot to mention it's leaking all over the place.
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
BigWag
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So I got the Commander up on some ramps today and I think I found where the leak is. I took two pics in case I can't describe where the leak is coming from. Basically it looks to be leaking bad right behind the large center belt pulley to the right of the lower radiator hose. I noticed it didn't really leak until the engine got warm, then it was pouring out. Is this the water pump?

Unread 04-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
JKM
2005 WK 

most likely water pump, but could also be the lower coolant housing that the thermostat. Both of these parts are relatively cheap so I would suggest you change them both out while you have the coolant system drained out.

As previously mentionned your overheating is likely due to air in the cooling system. Order a new pump and change out the thermostat. Both will come with new gaskets/o-rings.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
scott02ws6
2005 WK 

that's the weep hole leaking, means the water pump is about to go out
Unread 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott02ws6 View Post
that's the weep hole leaking, means the water pump is about to go out
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
kevin776

My 05 did the same thing. Just found the problem it was a bad thermostat o-ring. The leak was in the same place
kevin776 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.