Coolant leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Coolant leak

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
volcy
2005 WK 

Coolant leak

So I noticed a small stain on the driveway and slid under the Jeep to check it out. It looks to be coolant as it has a sweet smell and is kind of sticky. It is dripping just a tiny bit from right around the oil drain plug. It looks like it is leaking down and just dripping there and onto the ground through the hole in the skid plate. Ideas? I am out of town for a few days so will have to check it out more thoroughly after I get back.

volcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
goflick
2005 WK 

Sounds like it's time for a new thermostat!!!
goflick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
cntryboy_88
2008 WK 

If its by your oil pan drain it could be your block drain plug leaking that it right above the oil pan about 2 inches and can be seen through the hole in the skid plate
cntryboy_88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
volcy
2005 WK 

It looks like it was the thermostat, at least I hope this was the issue.

Unread 07-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Was the o-ring broken when you pulled it out? A little hint now that it's out.....I've had problems with "other than stock" thermostat seals/gaskets. As far as I've ever found, the stealer is the only one that has that o-ring, and it only comes with the thermostat (~$30). You apparently can't purchase it separately. So, I've tried numerous different gaskets, and all eventually seep or leak, except for the Fel-Pro P/N 35840. I've also tried gaskets with and without RTV, as well as RTV on an old stock o-ring. Some lasted a while, but eventually started seeping. I ended up going back to the stock setup, but a different thermostat housing (other than the stamped metal) might also resolve the problem, using a gasket. Let us know what you end up doing. I think the seepage happens with a gasket because of the aluminum timing cover and the metal thermostat housing.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
volcy
2005 WK 

That orange o-ring was like that, I didn't break it. Sorry I forgot to mention, I replaced it with a Mopar thermostat, $36 at the stealer. This was a newer revision that superseded all previous versions and it had a black o-ring. I don't know what the previous revisions looked like but the guys at the dealer were talking about it. . No puddles under the jeep at work so we shall see.
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

That must be somethng fairly new, as I've not seen the black o-ring...just the orange ones. When you installed the thermostat, did you install it with the "wiggle"valve (bleed) at the top? Did you pull the allen plug, on the housing by the thermostat, before you filled the system? If not, you'll have lots of air in the system, and it'll take forever to get it out. Also, you'll have a good chance of overheating. What kind of coolant did you use. Should be the HOAT stuff, mixed 50-50 with distilled water.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
volcy
2005 WK 

I did install the bleed valve up like the old one. I used distilled water and Mopar HOAT coolant in 50/50. I didn't pull the allen plug but I did run it with the radiator top open for a bit slowly adding coolant, and the heat on. I did get a good amount of burping at the radiator and coolant reservoir. Was 93 today and I drove quite a bit in stop and go traffic and the needle never went above the second mark below the half way point on the gauge.

Here is the baggie the thermostat came in for part # reference

Here is a picture of it actually.
http://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-engin.../dp/B00CIWV1VA
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I think you'll be Ok. Just keep an eye on it every morning for a week or so. I had to add a little at least 4-5 times, before it stayed where it should. That black o-ring looks a lot more substantial than the orange one. Bet they had too many problems with it, and that's why they changed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.