Coolant disappearing/ETC light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Coolant disappearing/ETC light

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 11-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
McHifi

Coolant disappearing/ETC light

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum so I apologize in advance for any missteps...

I have spent a lot of time on here reading various threads and searching for answers, but none of the symptoms that I have with my Jeep seem to fit completely within the other topics that I've seen so I figured I'd turn it over to the masses...

I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee 3.7L v6. 68,000 miles.

Recently I was just driving home when the ETC light came on (and subsequently the check engine light). When the ETC light came on the engine temp gauge needle stopped working and went to zero. I got a message on the console that said "check gauges."

I shut the car off, gave it a couple minutes, restarted it and the ETC light never came back. Temp gauge worked fine.

Next day: a couple minutes after starting the car and driving, same exact thing. Again...shut off, restart, light goes away. Then the next day....same thing. First time driven after sitting overnight, light comes back....etc, etc...

So I start looking into what the problem might be. The first thing I notice is that the engine coolant is incredibly low. I filled it back up to the proper levels and a few days later it is back to being low again. So there is a leak somewhere but there is never any coolant under the car at all. So I'm guessing it must be internal somewhere?

Second thing I've noticed is that when the ETC light comes on (and the engine temp gauge goes to zero) the heater only works intermittently and more often than not blows cold air no matter what temp is selected.

For the last few days since I have been checking the coolant level and making sure it isn't too low, the car has been running fine. No warning lights. Heater works. Temp gauge works fine. It's like nothing is wrong.

So I guess my questions are: 1) is everything related to the coolant being too low? 2) where is the coolant going? (Or at least where should I look first).

Thanks in advance.

McHifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
kens97sto171

You might try changing the radiator cap. With a good one. Stant is a decent brand or a factory Mopar part.

I once spent quite a while chasing down a mysterious coolant loss.

If the cap is weak. It does not allow enough pressure to build up. And releases too early. That released the coolant into the reservoir overflowing it while ur driving.

When it cools the coolant is sucked back into the radiator. Several cycles of this and pretty soon your low enough on coolant to cause you problems.

Don't let the engine run low and overheat.. really bad the 3.7 and 4.7 are not very tolerant of overheating.

A new cap is a cheap thing to try.

A leak somewhere else should be pretty obvious.. or if an internal leak. Usually you will see milky colored oil. Or white smoke in the exhaust.

But not always.

Hope this helps and good luck
kens97sto171 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.