Considring '08 GCO CRD - "Service 4WD System" noted - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Considring '08 GCO CRD - "Service 4WD System" noted

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher CornersPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 07-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
Curlybandit

Considring '08 GCO CRD - "Service 4WD System" noted

Hey everyone.

I have a previous post on here about the '08 GC Overlander CRD that I'm looking at buying. The intention is to have a durable family vehicle with 4WD capabilities - we live just north or Toronto in a rural neighbourhood. Snow can become substantial. Most importantly, we're expecting our first child in early August.

I went to take a look at it today. It's a beautiful truck but I noticed one concerned thing. When I attempted to put the Jeep into 4-wheel-low using the tiny lever next to the shifter, I got a "Service 4WD System" notice on the dash.

I've been doing some reading about this and I see that I may have occurred as the result of an "N23" service update from Chrysler. I've read that Chrysler is denying that this is an issue with their reprogramming. I've seen that some people have suggested swapping the FDCM with one that is pre-program from a scrapper however with so many years that have past since the "update" I doubt finding one will be easy.

What concerns me the most is the suggestion that this issue could cause the transmission to slip from park and into neutral. With a newborn on the way and a large driveway for him to play in when he gets older, this is a frightening thought.

My dealer is going to be contacting his resource at Chrysler to see what the issue is and what can be done to correct it. In the meantime I'll keep reading up on it.

Is there any information that any of you could share that is the most recent update on what's going on with this problem?

Thanks!

Curlybandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Curlybandit

Found this link on the jeepforum.com website.

It contains the answers I'm looking for.

Last edited by Curlybandit; 07-25-2015 at 10:57 AM..
Unread 07-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
SSF556
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlybandit
Hey everyone. I have a previous post on here about the '08 GC Overlander CRD that I'm looking at buying. The intention is to have a durable family vehicle with 4WD capabilities - we live just north or Toronto in a rural neighbourhood. Snow can become substantial. Most importantly, we're expecting our first child in early August. I went to take a look at it today. It's a beautiful truck but I noticed one concerned thing. When I attempted to put the Jeep into 4-wheel-low using the tiny lever next to the shifter, I got a "Service 4WD System" notice on the dash. I've been doing some reading about this and I see that I may have occurred as the result of an "N23" service update from Chrysler. I've read that Chrysler is denying that this is an issue with their reprogramming. I've seen that some people have suggested swapping the FDCM with one that is pre-program from a scrapper however with so many years that have past since the "update" I doubt finding one will be easy. What concerns me the most is the suggestion that this issue could cause the transmission to slip from park and into neutral. With a newborn on the way and a large driveway for him to play in when he gets older, this is a frightening thought. My dealer is going to be contacting his resource at Chrysler to see what the issue is and what can be done to correct it. In the meantime I'll keep reading up on it. Is there any information that any of you could share that is the most recent update on what's going on with this problem? Thanks!
There is this thing called a parking brake....the handle is conveniently located between the driver seat and the passenger seat. A quick pull up on this handle activates the parking brake. P73 is a follow up to N23....do a search for that. I for one have not and will not have the campaign done. I use my parking brake everywhere....using the park brake also adds lonegetivity to the transmission.

I would also look at the following... Swirl motor...you can eliminate it with a GDE tune or a fuse...either way if it fails it is $$$$$$ to fix. Fuel tank rusting...you will need to drop the fuel tank to see how bad the rust is...I guarantee in your area rust will be prevalent....fixing the rusted tank could be a simple as cleaning, prepping and repainting..or you may need to buy a new tank...$$$$$$$
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
There is this thing called a parking brake....the handle is conveniently located between the driver seat and the passenger seat. A quick pull up on this handle activates the parking brake. P73 is a follow up to N23....do a search for that. I for one have not and will not have the campaign done. I use my parking brake everywhere....using the park brake also adds lonegetivity to the transmission.

I would also look at the following...

Swirl motor...you can eliminate it with a GDE tune or a fuse...either way if it fails it is $$$$$$ to fix.

Fuel tank rusiting...youmwineed to,drop the fuel tanke to see how bad the rust is...I guarantee in your area rust will be prevalent....fixing the rusted tank could be a simple as cleaning, prepping and repainting..or you may need to buy a new tank...$$$$$$$
Is that what it's for!? I thought it was just for drifting...

In my post above yours, I've indicated that I found the link on this website that covers all the details of what I've been asking. But thanks for reiterating it.

This is a Chrysler issue that should be fixed by Chrysler. Using the parking brake isn't going to fix the other issues with this recall. I'd rather have the issue fixed correctly than have an "oh *****" moment when either my wife or I forget to put the parking brake on and watch the Jeep roll off for an unknown adventure.

I'm also aware of the swirl motor issue, but again thanks for pointing it out. I'll be looking into getting the GDE reprogramming.

I've also read about the fuel tanks. Thanks for that also.

The latter two issues are much less of a concern than the former.

I haven't yet bought the Jeep. It's a beautiful truck with every feature you could need. As with any vehicle, I would do my due diligence to make sure I'm not buying a disaster waiting to happen. Knowing that there is a simple temporary fuse trick to reset the 4WD low and that Chrysler should/will correct the N23/P73 issue is also reassuring.

So far it hasn't been ruled out!
Unread 07-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
Curlybandit

So...

I think I've got it all figured out now. With the help of the thread on this forum in the link I mention above, I was able to find the documents from Chrysler regarding the C104F trouble code, the original N23 July 2013 recall notice, the July 29, 2014 recall of the recall notice and the "letter" that was sent to owners regarding this issue.

I called a local Chrysler dealership and gave them the VIN. They confirmed that the FIRST reprogramming of the FDCM was done back in June 2014 but the second recall reprogramming was NOT done. I asked him to confirm that if I bought this vehicle and brought it to them they would repair this issue. He said as long as it comes up in their system, YES. I mentioned the documentation I had and if this would be helpful to them and he said that no matter what documentation I brought, he could only go by what is in his system.

I sent this information as well as the documents listed above to the dealer that has the Jeep. Hopefully he will have this issue resolved shortly so that I can get back to BUYING IT!
Unread 07-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
SSF556
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlybandit
So... I think I've got it all figured out now. With the help of the thread on this forum in the link I mention above, I was able to find the documents from Chrysler regarding the C104F trouble code, the original N23 July 2013 recall notice, the July 29, 2014 recall of the recall notice and the "letter" that was sent to owners regarding this issue. I called a local Chrysler dealership and gave them the VIN. They confirmed that the FIRST reprogramming of the FDCM was done back in June 2014 but the second recall reprogramming was NOT done. I asked him to confirm that if I bought this vehicle and brought it to them they would repair this issue. He said as long as it comes up in their system, YES. I mentioned the documentation I had and if this would be helpful to them and he said that no matter what documentation I brought, he could only go by what is in his system. I sent this information as well as the documents listed above to the dealer that has the Jeep. Hopefully he will have this issue resolved shortly so that I can get back to BUYING IT!
I would ask that the dealer/person selling the CRD to get P73 performed.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
I would ask that the dealer/person selling the CRD to get P73 performed.
I will.

Thanks for your help! Keep the great info coming!
Unread 07-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #8
kwikrnu
2007 WK 

I purchased my crd from a jeep dealer last November. I checked the 4low and the service light came on and it would not shift to 4low. I made an offer on the jeep contingent on that they would fix the 4low and got it in writing. I reset the 4low with the fuse trick, but after the light returned. I brought the jeep in and the dealer replaced the motor and I think they reflashed the ecm. That was in January and the 4low still works.
Unread 07-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

Sounds like you've got it pretty much figured out. If the P73 recall doesn't fix the problem then you're gonna need a new shift module. I've read that some people have had a big PIA getting it done and getting the part at all. Definitly don't buy or sign anything without some documentation saying they will fix the problem. If not then make them an offer a few thousand less to make up for a non-working 4wd in a 4wd vehicle.
Blk WK member #174
wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
Sounds like you've got it pretty much figured out. If the P73 recall doesn't fix the problem then you're gonna need a new shift module. I've read that some people have had a big PIA getting it done and getting the part at all. Definitly don't buy or sign anything without some documentation saying they will fix the problem. If not then make them an offer a few thousand less to make up for a non-working 4wd in a 4wd vehicle.
Put a down-payment on the Jeep. I posted up a new thread here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.