Cone *air* filter pre-filter wrap; Useful? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Cone *air* filter pre-filter wrap; Useful?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
coultond
2009 WK 

Cone *air* filter pre-filter wrap; Useful?

What conditions should one be used?
What conditions should one not be needed?
Is the only benefit when wet / muddy conditions are expected?

Will a pre-filter wrap considerably restrict airflow?
Will it significantly increase particle filtration?

Have you ever considered one?
Do you use one now?

Primary systems would include k & n or airaid FIPK / airchargers.

coultond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
justa4banger
2007 WK 

I would say DUSTY areas... desert areas, places where there is fine particle sand.....thats when you should use a prefilter. Or any time you feel SINCE your butt dynpo won;t feel any difference regardless

Does it give better protection/ air filtration, yes. Does it restrict air flow, YES..... would your butt notice a difference HELL NO!.... your mind might make you think you could feel a 10hp increase/decrease...but the reality is... you can't. any increase in filtration increase air restriction..unless you got a big ole filter....

Mud... it sure wouldn't hurt you to have it... but if mud is getting to the filter, you might consider moving the filter or making a splash guard. if mud gets to it, Water gets to it easier... water can be a bigger issue than mud IMO
Unread 09-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
555ctsv
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa4banger View Post
water can be a bigger issue than mud IMO
I would agree, i learned this one the hard way....

06 WK Limited 4x4 Racing Solutions 6.4L 392 Stroker HEMI - 2" Daystar / 255-75-17 BFG MT's / SpiderTrax 1.5" / SRT8 Exhaust / K&N Intake / HID Headlights and Fogs / Alto Red Eagle Clutch Packs / Transgo Shift Kit / Diablo Trinity / Bilstein Shocks / Rear SRT Sway / Deeza Front End Links
555ctsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
ROMEO69
2007 XK Commander 

I use a pre filter on my K&N (XK) every time I'm going to the trails, just to protect the filter a bit more and for extra pice of mind, they are cheap, and easy to install and remove.
ROMEO69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
justa4banger
2007 WK 

DAMN!... i know that hurt.....

Thats almost as good as mine......But mine didn;t happen from water... i was abusing 88hp rated rods with almost 500 flywheel hp....

back to the prefilter... its worth having all the time... i actually need to get one for my cone filter being the truck is in Vegas.. its damn dusty over there...

Hey 555ctsv.... where at in dallas.. i'll be there around mid october... Will the 6.4 be done by then lol
Unread 09-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
555ctsv
2006 WK 

Man that is bad! My block was still good somehow so i guess i was lucky! I live right in the middle of downtown Dallas. I'm trying not to pester the shop too much, but i'm really hoping to have it done by the end of this month. They've had it since August 7th, so i'm impatiently waiting! They plan to dyno it at AutoScope in Dallas as they have an AWD dyno. I hope it'll be done by mid October!

06 WK Limited 4x4 Racing Solutions 6.4L 392 Stroker HEMI - 2" Daystar / 255-75-17 BFG MT's / SpiderTrax 1.5" / SRT8 Exhaust / K&N Intake / HID Headlights and Fogs / Alto Red Eagle Clutch Packs / Transgo Shift Kit / Diablo Trinity / Bilstein Shocks / Rear SRT Sway / Deeza Front End Links
555ctsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
justa4banger
2007 WK 

COOL BEANS......... Maybe i can catch you at crandal raceway...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.