Commander WK ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander WK ?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
BlueRidge92

Commander XK ?

I'm new to the Jeep vehicles as I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander. I love this vehicle, however I would like to know has anyone removed the lower seals from the door to prevent the water from collecting on it and eventually spilling over into the floor board? I understand this vehicle to have two seals on the doors because it was designed to ford small streams and creeks. I certainly don't plan on doing that so I don't think it would be a problem with removing the seal that is attached to the door and just leave the one on the jam. Any thoughts concerning this problem?

BlueRidge92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

Water should not be collecting on the seal (I'm having trouble even envisioning that; the seals don't really have a surface on which anything can collect) or spilling into the vehicle. If it is, the better solution would be to figure out why and address that. Can you post pictures?

As a first step, make sure the seal are attached tightly to the door—they can come loose from their mounting pins, which can block the drains, which can prevent the door from draining properly.

Removing them altogether will net you a noisier, draftier vehicle.
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Mitkch
2007 WK 

^ That.

If you want a whistle coming from your door when you drive go for it.
Black WK Club #138
Mitkch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Jaashua
2005 WK 

You sure you don't have a leaky sunroof?
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
BlueRidge92

I had a drain tube problem with the sunroof. First hard rain that lasted overnight filled the floor boards both driver and passenger side up with water. One of the tubes was not in the rubber grommet all the way (water pouring straight in the floor) the other side the black rubber grommet was stopped up with dirt. The water definitely dams up in the door between the two seals. That's why your feet get wet when you open the door. It just seems to me since I'm not crossing or fording small streams that I wouldn't need the seal that is located just on the bottom of the door.
Unread 08-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Jaashua
2005 WK 

I'm confused? If you fixed your sunroof you could leave the seals. There shouldn't be water in there, if everything is working correctly.
Unread 08-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
BlueRidge92

On a jeep commander there are two seals on each door. One of the seals go all the way around the door opening. The other seal is mounted on the bottom third of the door it self. That is the seal I'm thinking of removing. That is also why water collects between them and when you open the door the water spills out on your feet. This is an XK not a WK. I messed up on the original post.
Unread 08-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Jaashua
2005 WK 

OH! I finally understand. The one on my door always comes off. The amount of water that collects there isn't a crazy amount. Can you take a pic? In the wk it's not even possible for it to collect enough water to get to the floor board. (By the pedals?) I take it the area is more flat in the commander than in the wk? In my wk the plastic molding is higher than the seals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.