commander vs H3 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > commander vs H3

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #31
Toasterovin

I've been wheeling with a couple of H2's and H3's. Once you get into the tight stuff in the woods.... they have to back out while every jeep finishes.
On the other hand, put jeep and hummer in an open sand dune environment and the hummer will steal the show.
I prefer to own a jeep, so i would rather buy a used jeep and set it properly for my wheeling needs and be money ahead.

[FONT=Arial Black]You know what they say, "everywhere you go there you are."[/FONT]
Toasterovin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #32
tacjeep99

Hummer H3, Don't believe what the salesman told you

I have to second what Toasteroven commented on.

The last week in June, 3 buddies and I were doing Taylor Pass in Colorado. The snow runoff (Man they still had a lot of snow out there this year!), went down the trail for several hundered yards. The water came up to our differentials, we all run 32s for now, and in a lot of holes under the water we would be in even deeper water. We made it to Taylor lake, had to turn around due to the pass being snowed shut still.

We passed by a couple of guys on ATVs flyfishing the stream and the marshes by the trail.

We got to the section where the runoff was going down the trail, I was in front. I saw a H3 coming up the trail, I drove past where the runoff went back over to the stream. I stopped the H3 driver, told him there were 3 more Jeeps coming after me. I also told him, "I wouldn't go up there if I was you, you're stock and not built for this section". His response was basically, you Jeep guys don't know what you are talking about and I gotta H3, but he agreed to wait until the last Jeep in our group was past him. Unbeknownst to me, the other 3 Jeep drivers told him pretty much the same thing, turn back, you're not built for it, this next stretch is a lot rougher than you think. My buddies said thay all got the same reaction from him that I did.

We got down to the trailhead and pulled off to drink a pop, BS, and admire the scenery. While we were there the 2 ATV riders came up and asked us if we had talked to the H3 guys on the trail, we said we had. They said well, he is high centered front and rear in the deepest part of the runoff, had water to the bottom of his doors. The ATV guys said they tried to push him off one of the rocks he was on, but no dice. They said they offered to try to hook their ATVs to H3 to try to pull it one way or another to get it off one of the rocks it was on. The H3 driver threw his tow strap out to the ATV guys. The ATV guys said they asked him if he or his passengers (3 strapping teenage boys) were going to get out and hook the tow strap to the H3 tow hooks. To which they replied, "No, I don't want to get wet". The ATV guys said that was when they tossed the tow strap back to the H3 driver and said "See ya". They told us they encountered him at the trail head when they were starting up and told him to avoid the trail, his H3 wasn't set up for it.

We told the ATV guys about our encounter with the H3, and they said, "Well, we really don't feel bad now, if he is that stupid and doesn't like getting wet, he should have listened to all of us.

We all left, one of the guys in my group flagged down a Park Ranger and told them about it, thus doing our civic duty, and we all went on down the road.

The H3 guys were staying at a motel in Gunnison and I know that as of 11 pm that night, the H3 was not parked in the lot.

The H3 is a glorifed Chevy Colorado, and not an off-road vehicle in the same vein as a Jeep Wrangler or Toyota Land Cruiser. The H3 is a Mall Runnin Soccer Mom status vehicle, and not any more capable than its' big brother the H2.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #33
copbait

great story, but just because some ignorant tards driving pop's new hummer get stuck, that means the vehicle is junk?

although i would not buy one even if i had money to blow, i think the H3 is a step in the right direction for Hummer, it's WAY more practical and affordable than previous offerings. the sales are also doing quite well so obviously they made some good product decisions, even if 99% of them never see offroading. props to them for remaining competitive in an already ridiculously saturated market
copbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 10:07 PM   #34
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

It's all in the driver. I've seen TJ's hi-centered too. I saw a TJ in mud up to his edges of the tub. He would get out and hook up the strap so he put in on his roll bar. I told him it wouldn't hold, but I took the roll bar off for him.

This work both ways all the time. If stupid is, then stupid does.
Unread 11-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #35
tacjeep99

Actually, Pop was the driver and appeared to have his 3 boys with him. I agree the driver is probably a critical factor here, after all, he is the one that made the decision to ignore friendly advice.

As a matter of fact, I do like the H3, I like it a little better than the H2, but I look at it as a vehicle for light off-roading, getting to the ski slopes, general use and ownership of one being a status thing. If my vehicle situation was a little different I would seriously consider owning an H3 in addition to my Wrangler. I also know that the H3 is different from my Wrangler just like my Cruiser Wagon is different from my Wrangler. My usage of these two vehicles off-road takes that into account. If I was in a H3, being familiar with Taylor Pass, I probably wouldn't take it up Taylor, but most of the other trails we did that week, a H3 would not have had any problem.

Again, the vehicle played a part, but the most important factor was the driver not understanding his H3's limitations, and operating under the mindset of "It's a Hummer, it will go anywhere". All things considered, a stock Wrangler is a out of the box more capable 4x4 than a stock H3.

That day, all we could think of was, "The dude believed everything the Hummer salesman told him".

It is bult on the Chevy Colorado Platform and in stock form, is not the off-road vehicle the Hummer name implies. The H2 is a modified Suburban/Tahoe platform, and they are examples of Badge/Platform Engineering by GM.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #36
Darrw

My Hummer.

You really have to put the blame on the driver than the vehiclein this instance. I have tested a couple of H3's on and off road and they are capable vehicles. They were just too underpowered for the price so I purchased the H2. I have also owned a got stuck in grand cherokees, cherokees and wranglers. I have had the h2 offroad a few times and its only drawback was its width but i never backed out of a trail and have the brush marks along the sides to prove it. I still have a lifted 90 YJ that I use to get my rocks off. The moral is, dont judge a book by its cover. I may have paid over $60K for a truck but I do take if offroad(U cant take it with you). But I also know my role and dont go where I shouldn't. Stupid is as stupid does.

Darrw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #37
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrw

I like seeing the pictures without having to click anything.
Unread 11-07-2005, 08:24 PM   #38
djshortsleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrg
thoughts, i looked at the H3 and was impressed what are you guys thoughts?

Yea, I know is treason.......

My thoughts -- 3.5L, 5 cylinders -- puss.
djshortsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #39
workinprogress
Children's books?

Nice to see an H2 muddy, you get a big and a
Merry Wacko Jeep club member #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Dear workinprogress,

Ye barely know each other but is it me you're looking for? Cause I wonder where you are and I wonder what you do. Are you somewhere feeling lonely or is someone loving you?
workinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #40
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned the fact that the H3 is available STOCK with 33" AT tires (I'm betting you could fit 35's on it stock with light fender work), a 4:1 low range t'case, and electric rear locker. And you get all that for about $36k! Grand Cherokee's and Commanders come with what 28" tires? Maybe 29's? Even the Rubicon only comes with 31's right now.

Other than the Rubicon, which is a totally different class of vehicle right now, Jeep doesn't have anything that can match the H3 in terms of offroad equipment. Simply put, Jeep doesn't have any real competition for the H3. And I'm talking new vehicles, not some XJ you bought for $6k and modded up. Given the same driver skill, an H3 with the offroad option group would easily outwheel any new Jeep SUV. That will change once the new 4-dr Rubicon JK's come out though.

The I5 is a bit underpowered for such a heavy vehicle, but honestly it didn't feel that far off from my XJ on 35's with 4.56 gears when we test drove an H3 a few weeks back. And really, the H3 reminded me very much of an XJ in terms of it's size and interior space.

While Jeep is off chasing pavement-pounders, Hummer is quickly stealing their reputation as offroad legends.

It's really sad when Jeep is supposed to be the king of offroading, and Toyota, Nissan, and Hummer all have bigger tires stock.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #41
Curly

Commander Video (Rubicon)

I'm not going to get in the middle of anyones pissing match here, about which SUV grocery getter is better. Although I do have a small video to share. While on the Rubicon this summer my group and I ran into the Chrysler group doing one of their company runs. We passed them up at the beginning of the trail (Gatekeeper) and of course they were moving very, very slowly. All being novices drivers in Stock Rubicon TJ's with the exception of the Commander which was running in the rear. A very nice group of folks from all over the world. After we were unfortunate enough to have a rig in our group catch fire (whole other story) we had the chance to watch the whole 33 rigs come down "Financial hill". This including the Commander. I'm not much into the whole SUV thing either but I will say the Rubicon is far from a trip to the mall and the Commander made it all the way through without any breakdowns. Of course the bodywork was rearranged nicely but after speaking with the driver and his passenger (the driver was one of the top engineers for Chrysler) they seemed to be having a great time. Air-conditioner blowing ample cold air and the tunes a blaring.

Commander Video
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2005, 09:31 AM   #42
SYCOHEMI

Looks like the photographer and other spectator had a good amount of trust in the driver's control of the vehicle. Not sure that I would have picked those spots for a vantage point, directly in the path of travel. Thanks for sharing the video.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #43
irish1966

I own a 2003 H2 and a new Commander and I can see how at first glance someone might think that the Commander and the H3 look alike. However, it is my own opinion that the Commander is a much nicer ride.
irish1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2005, 08:44 AM   #44
veggiedogwalker

How much more space does the Commander have in the back (if the rear seats are down or removed) vs. the H3?

I'm assuming it makes more sense to get a Commander if you have 3 dogs?
veggiedogwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #45
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

you'd have to unbolt and remove the 3rd row from a Commander to fit 3 dogs, unless they're very small dogs.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.