commander vs H3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > commander vs H3

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-22-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
cwbrg

commander vs H3

thoughts, i looked at the H3 and was impressed what are you guys thoughts?

Yea, I know is treason.......

H3 daily driver (yea I know, but i liked it)
cwbrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2005, 07:06 AM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Going from a CJ-7 to the H3 is a great step for you. Have fun......don't let the door hit you in the A$$ on the way out.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
Doublehead

There's one thing I really don't like on the H3. It's the windows, why are they so damn small? The H1 doesn't have small windows, so it's not that 'heritage' bull -=-=-=-=
Doublehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
XJ99RedNY
1997 ZJ 

an h3 is a puv or performance utility vehical, its ment for soccer moms to drive to the grocery store in any weather and still look "good" doing it, or its for all the ghetto people to put big retarded rims on it and tires that have less tread then a bald mud terrain tirei would rather stick needles in my eyes then buy an h3, and im reasonably sure its built on a car chassis, so if thats the route you want to take, then feel free, i dont mean to flame on you but ever since the h2 came out i have been very let down by hummer
XJ99RedNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
SYCOHEMI

I hear that the five cylinder engine could use more power.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
rockhead

I would bet that it could out wheel a stock commander. But even considering that I would buy the jeep before the h3 on principle alone.

Last edited by rockhead; 10-24-2005 at 02:04 PM..
rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
Ndru

the two serve totally different purposes. I think the H3 is more for the off road. I'd compare it more to an x-terra or maybe an XJ . I found it was under powered and really only has seats for 4 . It should match up well to the 4 door wrangler when it comes out . The Commander I dont think will be as agile as the H3 off road but it has plenty of power ( with v8) and plenty of room for those of us with kids or need for 5+ passengers .
Ndru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2005, 03:53 AM   #8
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I bet you could out wheel a stock YJ over a novice driving a stock YJ. The point is that either you prefer it or not.

You opted to say that you prefer the vehicle due to brand loyalty.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #9
russkrs

I am all about brand loyalty... but it appears that Hummer is seeing the error of its ways (H2), and building more rugged, and capable vehicles(H3) (like you would expect from hummer)...

Where as Jeep is heading in the complete opposite direction... If I had a choice... I would wheel the H3 over the commander any day.
Unread 10-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #10
sweaver0834

I do not like the H3 at all I think it is a joke and hummer is hurting thier name and losing respect beacuse of this SUV.
sweaver0834 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #11
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaver0834
I do not like the H3 at all I think it is a joke and hummer is hurting thier name and losing respect beacuse of this SUV.

The H3 is outselling the Grand Cherokee and Commander combined. I don't think their loosing anything at this point. Except H2 sales.
Unread 10-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmanwoody
The H3 is outselling the Grand Cherokee and Commander combined. I don't think their loosing anything at this point. Except H2 sales.
Agreed.

I have never, ever, ever, ever seen a "dirty" h2 or h3. Ever.

I've seen two muddy H1's, but they were at least 10 years old.

Hummers have turned into Yuppie Mobiles.

Whether H3's can offroad or not isn't the point, the point is that no one wants to spend 35 grand for a nice Hummer and beat it up on the trails.
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped
Agreed.

Whether H3's can offroad or not isn't the point, the point is that no one wants to spend 35 grand for a nice Hummer and beat it up on the trails.

There are a few H2's around here that would make even the most hardcore Jeepers drool. Hummer has done the same thing Jeep has. Taken a great hardcore offroad name and put out vehicles that a majority of consumers want. Better ride, handling, etc.

Offroaders only count for a small percentage. Most folks never take their Jeeps off the pavement. It makes me sick when I hear things like "The offroad lengend continues, onroad"

Oh well, at least with new ones coming out, the older ones have been getting cheaper.
Unread 10-25-2005, 11:08 PM   #14
SYCOHEMI

Well as they say, "run what you brung"

I've seen a couple H2's offroading. They seem to be doing fine.

I've brought my wife's Cayenne S offroading at least a half dozen times. Just did Gold Mountain Trail last Sunday, rated Difficult.

I have the Commander, so that's what I'll be offroading in the future.

K&N R&D has it right now, they are developing a conical air filter kit for it. I'll get it back in about 5 days, then get a production kit as soon as it's released.

They gave me a Durango loaner with the Magnum V8.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2005, 01:21 PM   #15
Decipticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped
Agreed.

The H3 is not much more expensive than a new GC(v8 laredo 4x4, limited will kill your wallet). Most people dont hit the trails with spankin new vehicles. The H3 is woefully inadequate compared to the GC, and i feel that the H3 is the closest to the GC in terms of size and weight. To compare the H3 to the LWB wrangler is absurd, the Hummer is a fat turd next to it.

The only thing that the H3 has in its favor is the 5 speed, but i still need more cylinders than i have gears.

GC's have been "yuppie mobiles" (im guessing by that you mean soccer mom vehicles)for a while and so will the commander. The difference is that nobody puts 22" dubaspin whatevers with rubber bands on jeeps. Jeep definately has a larger off road core than hummer, but the majority of both are driven on road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.