Commander trip report - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander trip report

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 11-07-2005, 05:18 AM   #1
possum

Commander trip report

We picked up our new Commander on Friday [Limited 4x4 4.7] and just returned from 500 mi round trip. Here are our observations. The ride is solid and it handles great in traffic. No complaints on comfort or seats and the dual control a/c is a must if you or your spouse are going through menopause [it helps with those hot flashes]. This is our first car with a sunroof/moonroof and it is a great addition. Built-in Sirius radio is perfect. Visibility is better than expected. Now the not-so-good. The fuel milage is a big dissapointment. The first tank was 15 and the second was 16 mpg. This was with about 70% highway driving. The third row heat a/c controls should be moved to the second row where they could be used. The third row seats are only there for the soccer mom with the short commute. This is not a day-in day-out seven passenger car. Jeep has overdone the chrome on the Limited. The chrome grill is great but the chrome hadrails on the rear are usless. Also, the chrome hex heads bolts on the wheel flares are a little overdone. The hex head bolts on the dash are unique and look great. Bottom line.........this is a great car that handles and rides just about perfect. If you are a Jeep person then the Commander will be the equal of dying and going to heaven. It beats up on the Explorer and with it's unique looks it sets itself apart from the other mid-size SUVs. Overall this is a solid SUV and I would recommend it to anyone. However, if you are a "old school" Jeep lover then this is a must-have.

possum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
CinciSurWJ

Glad to hear that you like the new Commander. As for the mileage, I think you would see improvement after the engine is breaked in, after the first oil change.

How is the wind noise on the highway, is it quiet.
Kevin's 2.5"BB, DT3000, OME SS, Addco Rear Sway bar
Front Skid & Transfer Case Skid.

CinciSurWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
possum

It is very quiet on the highway. While on the interstate we hit some speeds in excess of 80mph. I was a little concerned about wind noise after reading of a few complaints of a high speed wistle and air duct noise. Ours is very quiet. With the moonroof open there is some wind buffeting but that is expected. As stated in the opening post, this suv handles great and rides super. It is solid...."like a rock"..........
possum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
SYCOHEMI

Did 440 miles from Southern CA to Northern CA. Had to fill up gas twice. Getting about 15.5 on the freeway and just hit 2,000 miles now. Hopefully it will improve.

Also, I do not notice any abnormal whistling or other noises. It's quiet, but there is wind noise at speed, probably on par with any large domestic SUV. Might help if I removed the factory roof bars, but haven't tried, as the noise is minimal, and does not bother me.

Ride comfort is very good, handling is fairly good, better than expected, but no sports sedan. But most important, it's fun to drive. The HEMI engine is smooth and very powerful. Impressive. Too bad the gas tank wasn't a couple gallons larger.

The foot well seems fairly narrow for my size 11.5 feet, but that's probably my main complaint.

All comments have been very favorable, and people are impressed with the interior fit and finish. I like the rear grab handles for climbing up on the back, but I am still waiting to get a roof rack.

Oh, and it does nicely off road on the moderate trails too.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/ad021e0c.jpg

Navigation takes a little while to input destinations, but once input, the operation is accurate, and guides very well, visually and audio. I regularly use a navigation system in two other vehicles, and this one in the Commander performs better than either of the others, although, it does not allow full input capability in motion, which is disappointing, but not a deal breaker.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCOHEMI
Looks good and at home offroad, time for some more aggressive looking tires though

I think both of you (like Sur said) will see gas mileage improve as the engine breaks in. I know at 27k mine is still improving.
Unread 11-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
SYCOHEMI

Thanks for posting my pic.

Debating on whether to get some BFGoodrich AT's, Bridgestone Revo's, or to wait until the lift kits are tested and more plentiful, and then get some bigger tires.

The stock wheel wells don't look very large. The Fortera's definitely look wimpy.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
CinciSurWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCOHEMI
Thanks for posting my pic.

Debating on whether to get some BFGoodrich AT's, Bridgestone Revo's, or to wait until the lift kits are tested and more plentiful, and then get some bigger tires.

The stock wheel wells don't look very large. The Fortera's definitely look wimpy.
Both are very good AT tires, I got Revos and they are very quiet on-road and have good traction off-road.

I would wait until you put a lift on and go with bigger tires. May be AEV will start selling their lift kits from next year.
Kevin's 2.5"BB, DT3000, OME SS, Addco Rear Sway bar
Front Skid & Transfer Case Skid.

CinciSurWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Yeah get a lift and then tires, I wish I had

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.