Commander Tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander Tips

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
XKShawn

Commander Tips

Someone started a thread like this on another site and some interesting features were identified regarding the UConnect and Nav systems. So I am starting this thread to post some of those useful pieces of information, particuarly things not found in the manual...

XKShawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
XKShawn

UConnect feature: Press and hold for a couple seconds the center button on the back of the steering wheel on the left side. This will activate the UConnect similar to pressing the button on the rear-view mirror. Once this is activated, you can use the center button on the right side of the steering wheel similar to the second Uconnect button on the mirror. This seems to only stay active until you are done making a call, then the bottons revert to controlling the sound system.

Nav feature: Just like above, but this time press and hold the center button on the right side of the wheel. You will see a little steering wheel icon appear on the Nav screen (bottom right next to the clock) and the rear buttons now control the nav system, with the ability to scroll through menus and select destinations just using the steering wheel controls. I timed this and the controls will revert back to the default controls for the sound system after 30 seconds of non-use.
Unread 02-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
Andretti

Thanks for the tips! Shame on Chrysler for not having this in the manuals. I really did read it too.
Carlos
Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
SGilbert
2014 KL Cherokee 

You're kidding! It's been 3 months, and only opened it once to find oil capacity!
Unread 02-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
silverback

These features are in the manual people just need to read
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
Andretti

silverback, where? Page?
Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
XKShawn

Sorry about that. I read the manuals cover to cover, but must have missed this info...
Unread 02-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
silverback

Andretti
It was in one of the info packets that came with the jeep. The jeep is in DC and Im in Louisville so I cannt tell you the exact booklet to look at.
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #9
SYCOHEMI

Thanks XKShawn. I didn't know that about the NAV controls.
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
NJNorm

Sirius Satellite Radio:

If you're having trouble with reception, check the position of the roof rack crossbars. The rear one will cause interference (signal cuts in and out) if it's too close to the antenna blister. (There is actually a TSB on this one.)

UConnect:

The aftermarket version of UConnect is not functionally equivalent to the factory-installed version. It has compatibility problems with many phones, especially recent models from Verizon. Some phones listed as "supported" on the UConnect web site do not actually work with the aftermarket version. Caveat emptor.
NJNorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #11
boltsnnuts
2009 JK Wrangler 

Nav Controls on the steering wheel?
Uconnect Controls on the steering wheel?

Now those are good tips! I have read the manual back to back and I can tell you one thing, it's not on there. On the other hand, any more tips!!! I love learning new things.
boltsnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
reedjohnson

Thanks for the Tips

Thanks for the great information. I just got my 2006 Black Commander Limited a week ago and it is awesome. It had the UConnect option already installed now all I need is a bluetooth phone. Does anyone have any suggestions on a Sprint Bluetooth phone that works with the UConnect?

I am getting the factory installed GPS put in next week so I can't wait to try out the steering wheel features. I like how Jeep's have the audio controlls on the back of the steering wheel. It allows for a lot of functionality while keeping a less cluttered look. Thanks again for the tips!
reedjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.