Commander Mods to Go - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander Mods to Go

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Commander Mods to Go

Bought a 2006 Commander 4x4 base with the 3.7. I'm not one to leave things alone, as my wife knows well. Got a bunch of mods on a list, guess I'll start with the least expensive.

I don't know if you can really call it a mod, but the first mod I did was add a locking fuel door.
Then I replaced the knobs on the MTC (climate control) with the chrome ring knobs from the ATC controls of a WK.

You squeeze the knobs like in the pic and pull out the white plastic indicator and swap it with the plain knobs. You'll need to fill the gap around the center with epoxy. The chrome knobs will be recessed into the control head more if you don't swap the insides. Either way they will sit farther in, less knob to grab.

The next mod will be adding radio controls followed by opening up the radio bezel for a NAV.

YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Got some part #'s and prices for the two remote steering wheel radio switches and the harness.

right switch 4685728AB $20.45 CDN
left switch 4685729AB $23.85 CDN
Switch harness 52029319AA $12.70 CDN

I didn't price the steering wheel backing with the holes for the switches, couldn't find a part #. A dremel should do.

As far as the clockspring goes there's only one part # but there's no guarantees there will be a wire for it on the column.

other parts

instrument panel/radio bezel 5JT12XDVAF (dark gray) $134 CDN

Here's pics of the base bezel radio surround, yellow arrows show plastic welds. A nice stainless or carbon fiber replacement would go nice here.

multifunction switch with auto headlight position 5143313AD $73.35 CDN
possible future mod but would also need sunsensor

out of curiosity I priced a garage door opener 56054008AC $315 CDN

These are all list prices.
Unread 01-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

The steering wheel radio switches are in and it's Plug & Play. The clockspring has an extra connector for the switch harness so it was basically cut out 2 holes and plug everything in. Works fine with the base radio.
I wanted to do the NAV install at the same time but it was just too cold in the Commander. I'll post some pics and a little how-to as soon as I find a place to host the pics.
Unread 01-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Nice mods, now lets see some pics. www.photobucket.com is pretty good for images.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Here are the pics

http://www.picturetrail.com/ybnormyl

Last edited by YB Normyl; 01-25-2007 at 04:29 PM..
Unread 01-20-2007, 02:29 AM   #6
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

*The service manual says that the connector side of the switch goes to the bottom,
that's not right. For the XK, the connector side of the switch goes towards the top.
The manual is showing what looks like a section from the Dodge Intrepid manual
with Intrepid steering wheel diagrams.

Last edited by YB Normyl; 12-14-2008 at 07:40 PM..
Unread 01-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YB Normyl
Here are the pics

Click free!!!

It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

Unread 01-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YB Normyl

*The service manual says that the connector side of the switch goes to the bottom,
that's not right. For the XK, the connector side of the switch goes towards the top.
The manual is showing what looks like a section from the Dodge Intrepid manual
with Intrepid steering wheel diagrams.

No Clicking

Unread 01-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman141
No Clicking
? What is no clicking?

Thanks
Unread 01-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

I just quoted your posts so the pictures show up without having to click on them. The "No Clicking" is just to put 10 Characters in the text for the post.

Unread 01-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #11
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Just replaced the display on the ebay NAV.

Unread 01-25-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

REC navigation radio install

Unread 01-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #13
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Next step, trim or fabricate new radio surround.
Unread 01-25-2007, 11:21 PM   #14
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Great work man, it's looking awesome and thanks for becomming a supporter!!!

Unread 02-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #15
bfr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

just ordered the parts to add the audio controls to the steering wheel.

the backing is part number 1FM342J8AA (for a dark khaki interior)

Did the steering wheel require any superexotic puller?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.