Commander and Kids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander and Kids

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
jason schmidt
1990 MJ Comanche 

Commander and Kids

Hey guys (and gals), Yes I'm new to the forum but I've been a Jeep fan for 15 years. My personal ride is a stock 1990 "Metric Ton" 4x2 MJ with over 320K. You can understand why I wanted to drive the Commander to replace my tired Suburban carrying 3 kids and wife + cargo to/from the mountains. First the positive: drives, handles, turns and cruises like a dream. Drove the 4.7 and thought it had the guts to go but the 5.7 obviously had more bells for $$$ if you are willing to pony up. Although I didn't drive the 3.7 I can't help but think it's going to be underpowered for any hill climbing or towing. Now the bad: How the hell do they expect anyone to get into that back row? and when in use, the cargo space will be limited to 3, count em' , three bags of groceries. That's 3 carry on bags of luggage that you might stow in the overhead of an airliner (I'm not kidding.) My kids are only 5,7, and 8 but can't see packing them into that space. Also: The center row folds down on the left and right but the center seat is fixed upright. Capacity is cut if you ever needed to haul something kind of big. (but I guess they figure you'd just hitch up a trailer?) Anyway, I loved the truck on paper and from outside but in the end I'm still driving the Suburban with 150K and looking elsewhere for a solution. Too bad!

jason schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
SGilbert
2014 KL Cherokee 

"The center row folds down on the left and right but the center seat is fixed upright."

Not so! There's a pull loop to collapse the center.
Unread 12-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

All 3 row vehicles in this class have crap for hauling capacity with the 3rd row up...Even my dads Tahoe (if he had the 3rd row) would be worthless for carrying stuff behind it and it is quite a bit larger then the Commander. With three kids they belong in the back seat with the seats folded down for cargo on trips...going out to dinner with 7 people and toss em in the back They are kids, they don't need to be comfortable just safe.
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

7 passanger advertised=

5 adults and 1 no car seat child

6 adults (short guy in back)

2 adults 2 kids and space for gear

2 adults 1-2 pets and gear

seems to have about as much usuable space as the XJ's but with goodies like the grand.

You might be looking for a larger SUV.
Unread 01-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

LR3 might be a better choice for you. There 3rd row can fit two full adults (6'1). The LR salesperson I was with was about 6'1 to 6'2. Plus it has more cargo room.
Unread 01-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
SYCOHEMI

This definitely does not have as much overall room as my 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT. But, this is a mid size, much more fun to drive and much more manueverable, plus better gas mileage, and doesn't get lost in a parking lot full of Tahoes/Denalis/GMCs.

Also, it fits a lot more than my wife's Cayenne, and is more comfortable, with a smoother ride, but not the same handling performance.

I got a cargo net, so I can pack the cargo area up to the ceiling. I am definitely not using the third row as much as I thought, but that's the case with most third row vehicles. If you plan on using the third row full time, you're probably better off with a suburban or a mini van. I figured this would be my last chance to get a decent fun vehicle before I go the mini van route in a few years... I am dreading that day. Hopefully SUVs will be more practical by then. But I am so glad I did not get a minivan this time around.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
SYCOHEMI

I agree, at 6 feet tall, it is hard for me to get into the back row.

I guess you save the back row gymnastics for younger ones to crawl back into.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.