Commander Height - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander Height

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 06-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
jthomaslambert

Commander Height

Anyone know the true height of the Commander INCLUDING the crossbars on the roofracks? The specs list 6' but they gotta be higher than that. I've not seen anything official (and am too lazy to take a level and a tape to it) but don't want to park indoors at some places because of it. I made the same mistake with my 2003 Liberty Renegade--imagine how ticked off I was when I topped out in a 6'1" parking garage because of that darn roof basket--on the day I bought it!!

jthomaslambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
jthomaslambert

Height Confirmed

So just remembered this question and since it wasn't answered, I got off my duff and measured myself. Turns out, with the stock crossbars on the roofrack, the Commander is 74.5" high. This is kind of important because a lot of indoor parking garages are not 6'3" high (at least around here).

Frankly, I'm amazed that I couldn't find this information anywhere on Jeep's site or any review site. All of them list it as 71.9" high (conveniently just below 6' which would fit in almost any parking garage). I wonder what would happen if somebody clipped their Commander going into a garage and then tried to claim it against Jeep stating the "Overall Height = 71.9" was misleading.
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
cmd peej

It is a tall puppy and with the amount of "lifting" and bigger wheels I read about on the Jeep Forums, there are a LOT of rigs out there that must be even higher.

I took the cross bars off mine for now as I don't envision much use for them. (I bought a receiver hitch ski rack and we have one of those fake Christmas trees.) At the moment, I can't think of anything else I would ever carry on the top. I like the look with the cross bars off and perhaps it even reduces the drag a bit although they are pretty streamlined.

I do know with every car I tested in the past, a ski rack on top of a car reduces gas mileage around 10% (the kind of rack that sticks up vertically around 3").

I suppose if I were to use my Jeep for camping, I would have to invest in one of those rooftop carriers since there isn't that much room even with the 3rd row of seats in the down position.

Last edited by cmd peej; 06-29-2006 at 07:13 PM..
cmd peej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
jthomaslambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd peej
I took the cross bars off mine for now as I don't envision much use for them.
That's something I thought about too but wondered how much of a pain they'd be to get back on. Haven't taken too close a look but wonder how to line up the bolt from the crossbar with the nut that must travel within the roofracks, themselves?
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
cmd peej

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomaslambert
That's something I thought about too but wondered how much of a pain they'd be to get back on. Haven't taken too close a look but wonder how to line up the bolt from the crossbar with the nut that must travel within the roofracks, themselves?
I don't remember the details, but it was VERY easy to remove the crossbars. Much easier than my '99 Durango.

I do remember that it only took a couple of minutes and they should be just as easy to reinstall. Due to the height of the Commander, you will need a step ladder.
cmd peej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #6
bullaculla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd peej
I don't remember the details, but it was VERY easy to remove the crossbars. Much easier than my '99 Durango.

I do remember that it only took a couple of minutes and they should be just as easy to reinstall. Due to the height of the Commander, you will need a step ladder.
Nah. if your tall enough its real easy even without a stool. The hooks are rubber coated so after you take off one side you can just rest it on the roof and then go to the other side loosen the screw and unhook the other side and lift it off. I take mine off everytime I wash my jeep. Even when I go through a car wash, I take them off while i'm waiting in line and then throw them in the back.
Unread 06-30-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
jthomaslambert

Reattaching?

That's great news--so to reattach, is there a trick or do you just find the spot where you unattached and screw down from above? I have visions of trying to squeeze my fingers in there to hold the nut in place (like our old ski racks--PAINFUL!).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.