Commander GPS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander GPS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-30-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
babrams

Commander GPS

Thinking about leasing a Commander with the factory installed GPS.

Any comments, likes and dislikes about the GPS would be appreciated.

babrams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2006, 02:07 AM   #2
SYCOHEMI

I am familiar with regularly using three different factory equipment in dash systems.

A BMW 2001 M5, that I upgraded to factory DVD unit, A 2004 Porsche Cayenne S DVD Unit, and the Commander Factory Unit.

The BMW and Porsche factory units are quicker and easier to input destinations, due to the controls they use. I think the Jeep adds a confirmation/enter step that is slightly annoying.

But the Commander unit, once in operation, seems to be fairly accurate, and is a pleasure to use. Once destinations are input, I would say it is better than the BMW unit, and equal to or better than the Porsche unit. The Commander unit is slow to load at start, but I added a Clifford Remote Engine Start and Alarm, which helps, so it's essentially ready to go when I am ready.

One thing that is unfortunate, is that you cannot utilize all destination input features if the vehicle is in motion. You can perform limited input to destinations that are already in the memory. The screen is a good size, and the features are about everything I need to get from place to place. I use navigation frequently, as I work in the real estate industry. The BMW and Porsche, on my model year vehicles, allow inputs while the car is in motion. Helpful if a passenger is doing the input.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
XKShawn

My wife has a Nissan quest with a nav system, and I have it in the commander. If I had to pick which was better, I would probably go with the Nissan, although that doesn't mean that the Commander's system is bad. There are a couple little things in the commander that I noticed...

When I enter my home address as a destination, it points me to the correct street but not very close to my actual house. When I'm sitting in my driveway, the system tells me that I'm 2/10ths of a mile away from home. It makes me wonder if other addresses will also be slightly off.

As Sycohemi mentioned, there is an "extra step" in the commander system. No big deal, but you have to push three buttons just to get to the map with no destination.

My third issue is that you have to enter an address as a destination before you can put it into your address book or edit your address book. This is related to the previous point - it's an extra step. In the Nissan, there is an option to go right in and edit your address book from the main setup screen.

Lastly, there is no option to "save current location" to the address book. At least I cannot figure it out if there is. This is nice to have when the system is telling me that my home is down the street. If I could just tell it to save the current map location as my home address, it would aleviate that little issue. The Nissan has this option.

Othere than those minor issues, the system is easy to learn and easy to use. The voice guidance in the commander is better than the Nissan, but that's just a preference. I still think it is worth it to get the Nav system, even with its quirks. In addition, having that Nav screen gives you a much nicer interface for the stereo, particularly the satellite radio display of song and channel information that you don't get on the non-nav system.
XKShawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
SGilbert
2014 KL Cherokee 

Unfortunately, the Commander lacks voice input and touch screen that my Caddy SRX has, but, other than that, it functions every bit as well.
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
INTREPER

I've used them all, and by far, I prefer the Jeep unit. I'm talking about the unit that shows the actual map. Not just directions.
Unread 01-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
Andretti

Our Commander is very accurate on location. You can check system for the number of sat's in use. Up in Toronto here, it shows 8 sat's. Possible a less number will effect location accuracy?
Carlos
Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
SYCOHEMI

I agree with XKShawn, the Commander voice directions are the best in the three systems I have used.

The BMW advises far too early of upcoming changes, and the Commander seems accurate and useful.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
SGilbert
2014 KL Cherokee 

I especially like the "count-down" feature.
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
stephen

Really like jeeps nav system, but i wish there was an easy way to dim the display for night driving. it is supposed to be automatic, but it always stays the same brightness
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
INTREPER

YOu adjust it by putting the dimm selector on the turn selector lever one step down from being all the way bright, and it will dimm.
Unread 02-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #11
SGilbert
2014 KL Cherokee 

"YOu adjust it by putting the dimm selector on the turn selector lever one step down from being all the way bright, and it will dimm."

BUT.....In daylight, when it rains and the wipers come on automatically, and when set to turn lights on with wipers, you have to turn the dim switch back or you can't see the NAV!

(Hate to bring up the Caddy system again, but it inverts the screen to black background with all else light---great for nighttime!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.