Commander 5.7l overheating when towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander 5.7l overheating when towing

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 08-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
sammccorison

Commander 5.7l overheating when towing

Hey all,
I have a 07 Commander 5.7l. Past two years when towing my camper its running hot when climbing. Live in PA so fairly hilly. Depending on grade it can get up to 3/4 to almost over heat. This happens on the highway. I run it in tow haul in 4th gear. Camper weighs in at just below 6k. All maintenance up to date per jeep instructions. It has 75k on the clock. It is bone stock. I run no faster then 65mph and on hills generally drops to between 45-55. Really steep may go slower. I dont try to over push it. Never run it over 4000 rpms. Also when it gets close to red line I will typically pull over and just let it sit and idle down. Usually takes less then 5 min to return to normal operating temp. Also when I pull off to stop I always let it idle 5-10 mins otherwise on restart temp will be high. So am I expecting to much out of it or is there a simple solution like a thermoatat or water pump or ???? Any thoughts would be helpful. During normal driving temp always stays just below center onve warmed up.

Sam

sammccorison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

Can't speak to potential engine cooling issues, but experts will likely chime in soon. The following is based from general info and not Jeep-specific.

Have you weighed your trailer? Or are you working from mfr stated weight plus an estimate? If you haven't weighed your trailer you could be significantly heavier than you think.

I'm sure you know, but when you get on the hills, downshift to a gear the tranny will stay in without "hunting" up-down-up-down. This will reduce the heat buildup.

On honkin hills running my 4.0 ZJ, I would open all the windows and blast the heat out. Just that would bring the needle down away from overheat territory. If I had a near-overheat episode I would have the tranny fluid checked ASAP. My understanding is that the hotter the fluid gets the quicker it degrades.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammccorison View Post
Hey all,
I have a 07 Commander 5.7l. Past two years when towing my camper its running hot when climbing. Live in PA so fairly hilly. Depending on grade it can get up to 3/4 to almost over heat. This happens on the highway. I run it in tow haul in 4th gear. Camper weighs in at just below 6k. All maintenance up to date per jeep instructions. It has 75k on the clock. It is bone stock. I run no faster then 65mph and on hills generally drops to between 45-55. Really steep may go slower. I dont try to over push it. Never run it over 4000 rpms. Also when it gets close to red line I will typically pull over and just let it sit and idle down. Usually takes less then 5 min to return to normal operating temp. Also when I pull off to stop I always let it idle 5-10 mins otherwise on restart temp will be high. So am I expecting to much out of it or is there a simple solution like a thermoatat or water pump or ???? Any thoughts would be helpful. During normal driving temp always stays just below center onve warmed up.

Sam
Not sure how hot it is where you are , but i know here even in 90 deg weather , my needle is no where near the centerline .Although i'm not in the city so that may change if i was idling with the AC on . The Hemi's cooling fan is a HD hydraulic unit that runs off the power steering pump and adjusts the fan speed based on temperature . It could be that your hydraulic valve is not opening all the way to allow the fan to get to 100% .
Other then that i would ask , When's the last time you had the coolant changed ? what mixture are you running ?
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

I have a 4.7, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt as I have zero familiarity with the hemi.

Have you checked the cooling fan and control module?

Link

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
sammccorison

Fan sounds like its running full speed when it kicks but thats definately a good thought. I changed the coolant 2 years ago. Funny the issue started that year too.... possibly my mixture isnt right. I usually do a 50/50 mix but now that I think I may have got lazy. Could be more coolant then water.... hmmm. Well that would be a simple thing to do again and cheap. Ill try that first and see how it goes. Heading to Maine this weekend so it will be a good test. Thanks for the thought.
sammccorison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
yzjwk
2005 WK 

did you use the hoat coolant when you changed it ?
I just found my info on how that cooling system works .At the bottom it mentions the steering control valve i was talking about .
Good luck ,

OPERATION
The hydraulic radiator cooling fan used on the 5.7L gasoline and 3.0L diesel engines
replaces both the electric fan and the engine driven mechanical fan. This provides 5.7L
and 3.0L equipped vehicles with heavy trailer towing capability while at the same time
reducing unnecessary power drain on both the engine and the vehicles electrical system.
HYDRAULIC FAN STRATEGY
The hydraulic radiator cooling fan is controlled by the Front Control Module (FCM). A Pulse
With Modulated (PWM) signal from the FCM controls the fan speed. There are three inputs
to the FCM that determine what percentage of fan speed is required by the vehicle. These
inputs are:
· Engine Coolant Temperature
· Transmission Oil Temperature
· A/C System Pressure
By monitoring the desired operating parameters for these three inputs, the FCM can
determine if cooling airflow is required. If airflow is required, the FCM will slowly speed up
the fan until the parameter(s) are under control. Once the temperature or pressure is
reduced to within operating parameters the fan will speed up, slow down, or hold its speed
to maintain the temperature/pressure requirements.
NOTE: Even if the FCM is not requesting fan on operation, the fan blade will usually
spin between 100 and 500 RPM when the vehicle is at idle.
ACTIVATING THE HYDRAULIC FAN WITH THE SCAN TOOL (StarSCAN®)
Under the Engine Systems test heading, there is a subheading. “Hydraulic fan solenoid
test”, that has the selections, on/off. Activating the fan with the StarSCAN® will run the fan
at 100% duty cycle, which will help troubleshoot any system problems, and also help with
the hydraulic system deaeration procedure.
NOTE: Engine must be running to activate the fan with the StarSCAN®.
RADIATOR COOLING FAN HYDRAULIC FLUID PATH
Hydraulic fluid is pumped by the power steering pump though a high pressure delivery line
to the fan drive motor. As fluid is diverted through one or both G-rotor stages, rotational
motion is created as fluid moves from the high-pressure (inlet) side of the motor to the
lower-pressure (high pressure outlet) side. Fluid exiting the drive motor is divided into two
paths. In path one, fluid continues through a high pressure delivery line to the vehicle
steering gear to provide steering assist. This fluid then exits the steering gear under low
pressure and travels through a low pressure line to the power steering fluid cooler to be
cooled before being returned back to the power steering fluid reservoir. In path two, excess
fluid travels through a low pressure line back to the power steering pump fluid reservoir
NOTE: There is a steering flow control valve located in the fan drive motor. This
valve operates like the flow control valve found in the typical power steering
pump. A failed pump and/or fan drive can produce contamination that may
cause the steering flow control valve to stick.
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.