Commander 3.0 CRD Transmission issue!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander 3.0 CRD Transmission issue!!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
vanderputtens
1998 ZJ 

Commander 3.0 CRD Transmission issue!!

Oh dear...

Parked my 3.0 CRD up over a year ago and never got round to using it again untill now...

And it isn't having it...

The car has very low mileage, approx. 65.000 and a FSH (dealer).

It starts up fine and it shifts into gear fine BUT it slips like hell and needs loads of revs untill it finally drives...

So I figured all the transmissionoil drained to the oilpan and it just needed some time to pump the oil up again so I went through the gears, drove it very slowly but it's still not better...

No faultmessages, no other issues....

Anyone with ideas how to adress this issue??

Thanks!

vanderputtens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Xmind
2007 WK 

I believe I have the same or very similar issue....but mine seems to be related to cold temps. I drove 9 hours today without issue but then tonight it started fine then just slips....but mine seems more like a front diff issue....but not100% sure yet.....hopefully I get this fixed soon as I have another 600 miles to go before new year's!
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Do you have a good scanner? There might be codes, but with no lights on the dash. Its kind of common to have transmission codes and no lights on the dash. The dash lights usually only light up with stuff that can cause emission issues. I would say a solenoid in the valve body is bad or sticking not causing it to shift.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Sizzlenut

Seized brakes?
Sizzlenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
vanderputtens
1998 ZJ 

The brakes haven't seized lol

I can push the Jeep forward when in neutral so no worries there.

There also isn't an issue shifting, when it finally moves it does shift.

The ONLY issue now is that it takes loads of revs to get the thing to move real slow...

I'll scan for codes, haven't done that yet.

It seems either very coincidental or it has to do with it being sat there for a year or so...
vanderputtens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 01:03 AM   #6
Xmind
2007 WK 

So get this...I believe my issue is fixed.....with a new battery...no joke. I had the dealership look out over and everything checked out. It would appear a sensor or module doesn't work well if the voltage is low....which it would be slightly low due to the cold weather, plus lights, defroster, seat warmers, and high blower setting.

Before I took it to the dealership and after I tried a few things, the jeep wouldn't even budge an inch.

Even though it sounded like something mechanical broke (clunking/slipping sound) everything drives just fine now.....put 600 miles on it yesterday without a hitch.
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
jaje
2007 WK 

Ah the bad battery gremlin in the WK and its off spring bites again.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Radcrd
2007 WK 

I keep sayin it, if battery is over 5 years old change it especially if in cold climate.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
Xmind
2007 WK 

Yeah I've read that numerous times but I didn't believe it....thought a light flicker or dash malfunction would be an indicator...not the sound of gear/clutch noises with the jeep becoming undrivable!

Needless to say the battery is now on my PM schedule as a $100 is much easier to swallow than the potential $2200 for trans rebuild that I was starting to fear.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.