Commander 06 transmission problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Commander 06 transmission problems

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Commander 06 transmission problems

Friend of mine wanted my help in changing his transmission fluid, and now it has problems. It has delayed shift and slams into certain gears. Even reverse is effected.

We went to a newly opened Advanced Auto Parts to get the filters and gasket for the transmission. The brand we got was what they sold, "Driveworks". We also got 5 quarts of ATF+4.

Specifically we got.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...mission+filter

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...mission+filter

After we changed the filters and put the 5 quarts of ATF+4 we started it up and the Jeep wouldn't move. Not in reverse or drive. We went back and got 2 more quarts and added them and the transmission began to respond. My friend insisted and we added another 2 quarts after that. So far 9 quarts of trans fluid.

When it was able to move it was stuck in 3rd gear. I cleared some codes from the Jeep and the trans seemed to work fine. After a few days though, the trans slams into certain gears and has delayed shift sometimes. What the freak is going on? Is this the result of crummy filters?

Everything went in easy with 0 problems, other then AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts not knowing what a transmission filter kit was. I did insist to my friend to get the kit from NAPA, but they were further away.

Unread 03-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

What engine and transmission?
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
colinzj
2006 WK 

Did you make sure the old O-ring came out of the trans? Were the filters installed correctly? The O-ring goes flush into the trans, not onto the filter shaft.
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
What engine and transmission?
It's the 4.7L with I'm guessing the W5A580 transmission. It's the same transmission that this guy has in the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
Did you make sure the old O-ring came out of the trans? Were the filters installed correctly? The O-ring goes flush into the trans, not onto the filter shaft.
You mean the oil seal for the filter? The flat looking one, and not the engine oil shaped filter? That was a pain to remove, like it is in any car, but I put the new seal on the trans before installing the filter.

I basically did everything
The only difference was that he didn't change the seal, but I did. Also, he primed his oil filter with oil, where as I didn't. I just screwed the filter onto the trans. Not sure if that was a mistake.

A few months ago my friends Jeep ran into a problem with it being stuck in limp mode. It wouldn't shift gears, and was stuck in 2nd. So it could be the transmission oil change may have aggravated an already existing problem.

Just got a phone call from him and he has a check engine light now. The engine's idle tends to bounce as well, but that maybe a bad idle air control motor. I'll see what the codes are. Mind you I have a cheap OBD2 bluetooth reader that I connect with my Android cell phone using Torque to get codes.
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Guess the trans is just done? Take it to dealer?
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I pulled the codes and got the following.

P0700
P0841
P0734
P0868

Which I gather from a quick Google tells me it's either a bad valve body, or need to replace cooler return filter. Maybe transmission control module?
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
lauderdalechad
2006 WK 

Sounds like the trans isn't getting the proper amount of fluid. 9qts is way too much...did you not measure it correctly? How tight did you put on the round "oil" filter? Should be no more then hand tight. Also could be a problem with the flat panel filter not seated correctly. I would pull the pan again and double check every thing! I highly doubt the trans took a dump from a filter change. Go back and redo it with the proper amount of fluid. Should only take 6.5-7qts to refill
2006 Overland HEMI QDII
lauderdalechad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauderdalechad View Post
Sounds like the trans isn't getting the proper amount of fluid. 9qts is way too much...did you not measure it correctly?
We first put 5 quarts and the Jeep wouldn't move forwards or back. Added two more and started to move, but jerking. At this point the dip stick showed right amount of fluid. My friend wanted to add two more quarts, and it clearly shows we added too much fluid.
Quote:
How tight did you put on the round "oil" filter? Should be no more then hand tight.
I tightened it by hand, and then used an oil filter tool the further tighten it. It's tight, but not super tight.

Quote:
Also could be a problem with the flat panel filter not seated correctly. I would pull the pan again and double check every thing! I highly doubt the trans took a dump from a filter change. Go back and redo it with the proper amount of fluid. Should only take 6.5-7qts to refill
That's what we figure, and we're going to try and get a Wix filter this time. That or NAPA brand, since I believe they also use Wix.

It's strange cause for about a week it was ok. He said it drove better then ever.
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
lauderdalechad
2006 WK 

Good idea with a new filter. The the round filter should only be turned 3/4 of a turn after the filter seal makes contact (they strongly state "do not over tighten")

With the flat panel filter the biggest issue is going to be that seal (if its not in there flush and perfect it will cause problems) also don't forget to put the screw back into the filter.

From the factory the flat panel filter had a tendency to split open causing similar symptoms, that's why I'm leaning that way. Also if he drove around too much on an over filled trans he just might have ruined it. Make sure after you redo it all add 6qts and go drive around for about 30 min (not just around the block once or twice) then check fluid (in park while idling) and add 1/2-1qt if needed.
2006 Overland HEMI QDII
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
It's the 4.7L with I'm guessing the W5A580 transmission. It's the same transmission that this guy has in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81tt6-CC0VE

You mean the oil seal for the filter? The flat looking one, and not the engine oil shaped filter? That was a pain to remove, like it is in any car, but I put the new seal on the trans before installing the filter.

I basically did everything this guy did, since he has the same engine and trans as my friend does. The only difference was that he didn't change the seal, but I did. Also, he primed his oil filter with oil, where as I didn't. I just screwed the filter onto the trans. Not sure if that was a mistake.

A few months ago my friends Jeep ran into a problem with it being stuck in limp mode. It wouldn't shift gears, and was stuck in 2nd. So it could be the transmission oil change may have aggravated an already existing problem.

Just got a phone call from him and he has a check engine light now. The engine's idle tends to bounce as well, but that maybe a bad idle air control motor. I'll see what the codes are. Mind you I have a cheap OBD2 bluetooth reader that I connect with my Android cell phone using Torque to get codes.
No such thing as a 4.7l engine with a W5A580 trans . it's either a 3.7 with a w5a580 or 4.7 with a 545RFE . if it's a 4wd 4.7 with 545rfe then a service fill is 6.2l which means 5 wouldn't have been enough and 7 would have been too much . If you were at the full mark after 7 Qts then you were way too full at that point. too full because that full mark is at "full hot" condition and you couldn't even drive the vehicle let alone drive it far enough to get it hot .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
No such thing as a 4.7l engine with a W5A580 trans . it's either a 3.7 with a w5a580 or 4.7 with a 545RFE . if it's a 4wd 4.7 with 545rfe then a service fill is 6.2l which means 5 wouldn't have been enough and 7 would have been too much . If you were at the full mark after 7 Qts then you were way too full at that point. too full because that full mark is at "full hot" condition and you couldn't even drive the vehicle let alone drive it far enough to get it hot .
So the trans fluid is way too much, and that's the problem then?
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Triplecrown
2006 WK 

There are times to do things yourself, times to visit your independent mechanic and there are times to go to the dealership service dept.

It can get very expensive doing guesswork or process of elimination. Whatever happens to be the issue, may not be as bad as you may think.

My advice:Take it to the dealership, have them run the Star Scan especially since you have a P0700 code!. Let them sort this out! Worst case scenario is you may have to pay them the diagnostic fee. You can always take it home or to another shop. Least you'll know what problem(s) is/are. The dealership will use the Star Scan which can read deeper codes than a normal OBDII reader or a scan tool from AutoZone or even a shop.

Good Luck,
-Tom
Triplecrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
lauderdalechad
2006 WK 

Any update??
2006 Overland HEMI QDII
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok changed the filters and put new fresh oil, about 7 quarts. Firstly, the O ring for the filter popped out, and was on the filter. Second, when I removed the round oil filter, the center threaded hole didn't come with it. Replaced them both with Duralast stuff from Autozone. I insisted to my friend to get it from NAPA, but he did it on a Sunday and they're closed here on Sunday.

So far a week has passed and no problems. I made sure the new O ring was on good, and filled the round filter with oil before inserting it into the trans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.